Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 151494 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #1020 on: July 21, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »
If people are using golden syrup to make pecan pies, that would explain why they always taste funny. 

What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #1021 on: July 21, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
Tonight is my daughter's ceremonial birthday and we are getting out the chocolate fountain.  I've bought a kilo of Belgian milk chocolate!  Those kids had better get out of my way!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #1022 on: July 21, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
Do you really need high fructose corn syrup?  Can't you just make a really concentrated sugar solution?
I don't know how to make it any other way. Someone in my cooking group told me she makes hers with butter and brown sugar.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #1023 on: July 21, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
It's only £15 for a pack of 3 dark Karo syrups. I only need it once a year and I don't have to inconvenience my teenage daughter with bringing it over.  Totally worth it.

I wanted to bring over proper Kosher dill pickles but the risk of packing glass bottles just isn't worth it.

I took the risk last fall, and brought back two jars. Sadly they are gone now lol

• Liked: 585
« Reply #1024 on: July 23, 2017, 09:34:08 PM »
nctami.... next time you're through in Glasgow, check out Lupe Pintos. They certainly had white Karo syrup last time I was there (about a year ago).

• Liked: 676
« Reply #1025 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
I was at Lupe Pintos (Glasgow) last week. They had Karo, Crisco, and Vlassic Kosher Dills (at $7 a bottle, but...).

They also sell tins of "Chili Chipotle" powder that makes a very passable fajita spice. And fresh flour tortillas. We have gotten Monterrey Jack cheese from them a few times, but it is underwhelming - very bland for MJ cheese. They also sell Jarritos.

Love that shop!  ;D

« Reply #1026 on: July 24, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »
nctami.... next time you're through in Glasgow, check out Lupe Pintos. They certainly had white Karo syrup last time I was there (about a year ago).
Weather is going to be brilliant today. Think I will head on over to Glasgow today and have lunch at my favorite restaurant,  Non Viet,  then go to Lupe Pintos.

Spent all day walking in Arran yesterday. I hope I can motivate myself to get out of bed.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #1027 on: July 24, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
How was the trip to Arran? It's on our "to do" list.... It's beautiful in Glasgow this morning - blue skies and predicted to be in the seventies (F).

Oh, for the pecan pie discussion. We have a ton of old cookbooks, some very old. Most are in boxes in my hallway, with a lot of other boxes (the movers brought everything last Sunday and we're up to our eyeballs in packing boxes full of stuff still.) I have one really good, old southern cookbook, but can't figure out which box it is in. In the meantime, my 1950s Good Housekeeping cookbook says, for pecan pie -

1 piecrust
3 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecan halves

This doesn't sound like nearly enough pecans to be like my memory of pecan pie. Having spent way too many years in Texas, I remember pecan pie (pe-cahn' pah) as being hellishly sweet and the surface being completely covered with almonds, with a sort of dental-nightmare custard below....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:25:51 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #1028 on: July 24, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »
How was the trip to Arran? It's on our "to do" list.... It's beautiful in Glasgow this morning - blue skies and predicted to be in the seventies (F).

Oh, for the pecan pie discussion. We have a ton of old cookbooks, some very old. Most are in boxes in my hallway, with a lot of other boxes (the movers brought everything last Sunday and we're up to our eyeballs in packing boxes full of stuff still.) I have one really good, old southern cookbook, but can't figure out which box it is in. In the meantime, my 1950s Good Housekeeping cookbook says, for pecan pie -

1 piecrust
3 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecan halves

This doesn't sound like nearly enough pecans to be like my memory of pecan pie. Having spent way too many years in Texas, I remember pecan pie (pe-cahn' pah) as being hellishly sweet and the surface being completely covered with almonds, with a sort of dental-nightmare custard below....
Yep, that is the recipe I use and all of the pecans it requires. They just kinda float on the surface so it seems like a lot.

Arran was brilliant. So much to do. We went to Troon for the day on Saturday and spent the night at Troon Yacht Haven on a converted fishing trawler then headed up to Arran yesterday morning.

I enjoyed Oban, Mull, Iona and Staffa way more though so definitely put that on your list.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #1029 on: July 24, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
Hmmph, I see Karo syrup all the time in Tesco in the 'American Food Section'. 
I bought some last year to make "Peanut Butter Crunchies" (something from childhood) and some JIF peanut butter.  It had total American goodness all over it. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #1030 on: July 24, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »
Hmmph, I see Karo syrup all the time in Tesco in the 'American Food Section'. 

I don't have any large Tescos near me...at least, none that are convenient to travel to.  We just have the Tesco Express-sized ones, and certainly no 'American food section'! One of the Tesco petrol station shops does have an Irish section, though, which I found kind of odd, as I haven't noticed a particularly huge Irish population around my way! 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:16:37 PM by Albatross »

« Reply #1031 on: July 24, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »
I have a regular size Tesco and no Karo syrup.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #1032 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:50 PM »
After moving from England to southwest Wales and discovering the scarcity of chicory here, I contacted Tesco about their product offerings, because when I put in my online grocery order, I look in a section actually called "lettuce and chicory" to see if chicory is available and it never is.  So I finally contacted them in frustration (and confusion... it's in the section name!) after months of not seeing it, and that is when I learned that every store does its own supply ordering based on what sells and how quickly.  (I guess the Welsh don't eat a lot of chicory...?)

I was advised that if there's something I want, I could ask the manager to order it, or at least order it in from another store, and it was up to them whether or not they would get it for me.  So, yeah... if Karo Syrup is a thing that some Tesco stores get, we can ask our local Tescos to get it.  Maybe we'll get lucky.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I have seen it on Ocado's website in the past (I used them before we moved to Wales... I miss Ocado so much!), but it's not on there now.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #1033 on: July 24, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
I made buttermilk pancakes for 8 people the other day:

With blueberry's

« Reply #1034 on: July 24, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
My daughter has been spending too much time on Pinterest and asked me to buy this:

So she could make this weird water/gel

She wanted to make deep fried water, like some You Tuber does and almost blows up his fryer but I put the nix in that. 

If anyone wants some of this stuff I can send you some. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab