Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 151182 times)

• Liked: 768
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #1380 on: December 27, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
Odd.  I was never really into bacon in the US, so I don't know the ins and outs of it.  I wouldn't have noticed a difference, I think.
My veins are made of bacon grease. I eat about a pound of bacon a day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #1381 on: December 27, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
My veins are made of bacon grease. I eat about a pound of bacon a day.

I'm definitely already missing US bacon. And trader joe's. And SoDelicious coconut and Ripple dairy free milks.

I learned my lesson. I should have put the grocery order in before landing. So far I've learned I'm allergic to alpro coconut milk and tesco's vile free from gluten free bread. And a bunch of other things I wouldn't be allergic to in the US thanks to the stabilisers used. Hoping I have more luck with the sainsburys order coming tomorrow!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #1382 on: December 28, 2017, 02:06:16 AM »
But you can get smoked streaky bacon here...?  Is it not the same as the US stuff?  I don't eat much bacon, so I really don't know.  I just assumed it was the same.

Not that I've found, so far. It LOOKS like bacon, but doesn't TASTE like bacon.  8)

« Reply #1383 on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
Not that I've found, so far. It LOOKS like bacon, but doesn't TASTE like bacon.  8)
Seriously Nan. Get the Polish bacon. It is US bacon. It just comes in a big slab.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #1384 on: December 28, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »

Now I went back to the US at Thanksgiving and the bacon I had there was not even as nice as the streaky bacon I get here at Sainsbury's and Tesco. To be fair it was not the excellent applewood bacon only found at a few restaurants. I can only eat out so many times. Haha. But it was horribly salty and that flavor was...yuck.

I think I am in that weird inbetween state where some us foods are too salty and UK ones are not salty enough.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #1385 on: December 28, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »
Now I went back to the US at Thanksgiving and the bacon I had there was not even as nice as the streaky bacon I get here at Sainsbury's and Tesco. To be fair it was not the excellent applewood bacon only found at a few restaurants. I can only eat out so many times. Haha. But it was horribly salty and that flavor was...yuck.

I think I am in that weird inbetween state where some us foods are too salty and UK ones are not salty enough.
Yeah, cheap US bacon is not as good as the good streaky bacon in the UK. They are different though. I may buy some pork belly and make my own at some point!

Thanks to nctami72's Polish bacon suggestion I went looking for a butcher and found an excellent one two towns over. :)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #1386 on: December 28, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »
Seriously Nan. Get the Polish bacon. It is US bacon. It just comes in a big slab.

Well, I ordered in a pack of the Tesco's best smoked streaky bacon, so we'll be trying that tomorrow. If it doesn't make the cut, I'll be off in search of Polish bacon. I did find a Polish grocery over off of Dumbarton Road, west of Byres a few blocks, in Partik several weeks ago and got a reasonable fascimile of egg noodles (not quite it, but good!) so maybe they'd have the bacon, too. I'm hoping the Tesco stuff is good. I need to be able to have bacon grease as well, as the birdies need it out in the bird feeder at this time of year!

« Reply #1387 on: December 28, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »
Well, I ordered in a pack of the Tesco's best smoked streaky bacon, so we'll be trying that tomorrow. If it doesn't make the cut, I'll be off in search of Polish bacon. I did find a Polish grocery over off of Dumbarton Road, west of Byres a few blocks, in Partik several weeks ago and got a reasonable fascimile of egg noodles (not quite it, but good!) so maybe they'd have the bacon, too. I'm hoping the Tesco stuff is good. I need to be able to have bacon grease as well, as the birdies need it out in the bird feeder at this time of year!
Tesco has Polish bacon too in the new Polish section. I'll see if it has a link in the online shop and I'll come back and post it.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:43:23 PM by nctami72 »

« Reply #1388 on: December 28, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
Thanks! Have bookmarked it.  :D

• Liked: 585
« Reply #1389 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »

My Tesco (the big one in Greenock where my deliveries come from) doesn't have the boczek.  It'll have to be the Polish deli in Dalmuir for me... I plan to stop in there on my way home tonight. Might as well grab a bag of frozen pierogies while I'm there!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #1390 on: December 29, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »
Might as well grab a bag of frozen pierogies while I'm there!

Will you please share a photo of the bag of pierogi if you get them?  I want to compare labels to see if there's another brand I could be getting if I had transportation and I could locate a Polish shop.  The ones Tesco sell are acceptable, but not the same as the ones I had and loved back in the US.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #1391 on: December 29, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
Will you please share a photo of the bag of pierogi if you get them?  I want to compare labels to see if there's another brand I could be getting if I had transportation and I could locate a Polish shop.  The ones Tesco sell are acceptable, but not the same as the ones I had and loved back in the US.

will do.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #1392 on: December 29, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »
And a lot of bacon here is wet cured and you get this nasty white milky fluid that renders out.

I did wonder why it always got the gross white crap on it.....
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #1393 on: December 29, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »
I'm definitely already missing US bacon. And trader joe's. And SoDelicious coconut and Ripple dairy free milks.

I learned my lesson. I should have put the grocery order in before landing. So far I've learned I'm allergic to alpro coconut milk and tesco's vile free from gluten free bread. And a bunch of other things I wouldn't be allergic to in the US thanks to the stabilisers used. Hoping I have more luck with the sainsburys order coming tomorrow!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just remembered you're here now! YAY! How was the move?!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #1394 on: December 29, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
Just remembered you're here now! YAY! How was the move?!
It was crazy, and I'll have to go back soon to finish packing up my old house... But we made it. Now just have to find a flat that allows cats because I miss my fluffball. She's staying with the husband's parents for now. But grocery delivery made me feel so much more human. My husband really tried, but Tesco is just not the store for someone with as many allergies as I have. And his pantry was bare, and had no essential baking items etc. I survived on less than 1000 calories through Xmas because there was very little safe food and I was just miserable and hungry and out of place. I got glutened badly as well, from the cutting board - I hadn't realised his parents were cutting things on the same wooden one they use for bread. *sigh* If you know of anyone letting houses (terraced or semi detached) let me know! None of the letting agents have replied to us through any of the apps yet and we are looking in the Bracknell area :)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab