Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 151397 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #1395 on: December 29, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »
It was crazy, and I'll have to go back soon to finish packing up my old house... But we made it. Now just have to find a flat that allows cats because I miss my fluffball. She's staying with the husband's parents for now. But grocery delivery made me feel so much more human. My husband really tried, but Tesco is just not the store for someone with as many allergies as I have. And his pantry was bare, and had no essential baking items etc. I survived on less than 1000 calories through Xmas because there was very little safe food and I was just miserable and hungry and out of place. I got glutened badly as well, from the cutting board - I hadn't realised his parents were cutting things on the same wooden one they use for bread. *sigh* If you know of anyone letting houses (terraced or semi detached) let me know! None of the letting agents have replied to us through any of the apps yet and we are looking in the Bracknell area :)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Will keep an eye out! My niece's boyfriend works for Roman's in Bracknell but can talk to the other ones (like here in Crowthorne or Sandhurst) if need be. It might just be the time of year it is, but let me know if you're having trouble with Roman's as that's the only one I can definitely get some insider information on if you're wanting to know about a place ;)

Any particular amount of bedrooms or anything?? I think Bracknell has just become a hot area with the regeneration of the town centre so prices have skyrocketed!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 676
« Reply #1396 on: December 29, 2017, 04:07:37 PM »
Vitacost.com ships to the UK.  If you get on their mailing list, and do an order now and then, when it's been a while since your last order they send codes good for $30 off a $100 order, which pretty much has always covered the shipping cost. They have a lot of specialized food items that might be of use to you. The Daughter has some specialized food needs and we buy from Vitacost often. They have excellent customer service.

Welcome! And what town did you end up in? You're down in England, right?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:10:53 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #1397 on: December 29, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
Will keep an eye out! My niece's boyfriend works for Roman's in Bracknell but can talk to the other ones (like here in Crowthorne or Sandhurst) if need be. It might just be the time of year it is, but let me know if you're having trouble with Roman's as that's the only one I can definitely get some insider information on if you're wanting to know about a place ;)

Any particular amount of bedrooms or anything?? I think Bracknell has just become a hot area with the regeneration of the town centre so prices have skyrocketed!
2-3 bedrooms, trying to keep costs under £1250, and no mold/damp issues or smokers previously as tenants cuz I'd just be sick. Will keep an eye out for those companies! I know it's also a lot to ask, and proximity to the bus is also important for now. Wishing we could buy, but it's not in the cards yet.

« Reply #1398 on: December 29, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »
Oh, I baked the package of Tesco's finest smoked streaky bacon this morning. It's pretty darned good! Not exactly the same, but highly edible (yummmmm) just the same! Thanks for the tip, whoever gave it to me.

« Reply #1399 on: December 29, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »
Vitacost.com ships to the UK.  If you get on their mailing list, and do an order now and then, when it's been a while since your last order they send codes good for $30 off a $100 order, which pretty much has always covered the shipping cost. They have a lot of specialized food items that might be of use to you. The Daughter has some specialized food needs and we buy from Vitacost often. They have excellent customer service.

Welcome! And what town did you end up in?
Catford for now, but hopefully not long! I looked at vitacost site I'll sign up for their codes. I found most of what I needed between sainsburys and amazon :)

« Reply #1400 on: December 29, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
That's good (finding sources)!  Vitacost's website is ...chaotic and somewhat hard to get around in, but when they have sales they are good.

We had a bunch of stuff sent over for the Holidays, and the salsa got broken in transit, as well as one of the more expensive herbal teas. Vitacost refunded the entire shipping charge and gave us, of course, a credit back for the broken items. No questions asked, no photos required. Usually takes about a week for stuff to get over here.  (Including my stash of favorite herbal teas.)

« Reply #1401 on: December 29, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
That's good (finding sources)!  Vitacost's website is ...chaotic and somewhat hard to get around in, but when they have sales they are good.

We had a bunch of stuff sent over for the Holidays, and the salsa got broken in transit, as well as one of the more expensive herbal teas. Vitacost refunded the entire shipping charge and gave us, of course, a credit back for the broken items. No questions asked, no photos required. Usually takes about a week for stuff to get over here.  (Including my stash of favorite herbal teas.)
Yeah, I found quite a lot of favourites so I'm sure when I'm at the truly homesick point I'll be using them :) I'm just still in shock over how many food products use various forms of processed/microcrystalline cellulose as a stabiliser here. It's in a lot of US meds, and that's how I learned I'm allergic but usually the quantity is small enough in a pill its not awful. Having it in multiple foods was terrible for me. *sigh* just one more thing to look out for!

« Reply #1402 on: December 29, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »
2-3 bedrooms, trying to keep costs under £1250, and no mold/damp issues or smokers previously as tenants cuz I'd just be sick. Will keep an eye out for those companies! I know it's also a lot to ask, and proximity to the bus is also important for now. Wishing we could buy, but it's not in the cards yet.

It can be so difficult to buy (especially in this area) but you'll eventually get there :) will let you know if I see anything.

Would something like this work? This is close to the Bracknell Sainsbury's (would be a walk but not the longest walk) and there's a bus stop it appears right down the road. Unfortunately won't be able to tell about damp/etc. unless you view it. Will say chancellors are RUBBISH with actually replying back.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #1403 on: December 29, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
Oh, I baked the package of Tesco's finest smoked streaky bacon this morning. It's pretty darned good! Not exactly the same, but highly edible (yummmmm) just the same! Thanks for the tip, whoever gave it to me.

I cook mine in the oven too...so much easier.
I've tried a LOT of bacon over the years, and I really think that one's the best.  Sainsburys used to sell Oscar Meyer bacon, but no more.

I bought a kilo of boczek tonight, so will be trying that soon!

« Reply #1404 on: December 29, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
Jfk, here's the pierogi I bought - hope this helps. 

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #1405 on: December 29, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »
Jfk, here's the pierogi I bought - hope this helps. 

Oh, those are different.

These are the ones my local Tesco deliver to me, that I find a little bit on the doughy side:
http://u-jedrusia.pl/wp-content/uploads/Pierogi-ruskie-1.jpg

I will see if I can source a different brand to compare.  Maybe it's this manufacturer, or maybe it's a regional preference.  But these are not quite as nice as the ones I remember from back "home" (I lived in Cleveland and was able to find pierogi regularly from 1998 to 2001... this is going back a long way!).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #1406 on: December 29, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »
I did find a Polish grocery over off of Dumbarton Road, west of Byres a few blocks, in Partik several weeks ago

I know that place.
If you like to dye eggs at Easter, you'll be glad to know that that shop is probably the only place in the west end which sells white eggs!  Brown eggs don't dye very well.

« Reply #1407 on: December 29, 2017, 07:19:23 PM »
I usually get the Jolly Hog’s treacle bacon...soooooo yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

« Reply #1408 on: December 31, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Seriously Nan. Get the Polish bacon. It is US bacon. It just comes in a big slab.

I must have got the wrong stuff.  A full kilo of it!
I sliced and cooked some of it today, and it just tastes like belly pork, not bacon.  They must have given me the unsmoked type.   :(

• Liked: 768
« Reply #1409 on: January 01, 2018, 09:34:27 AM »
I must have got the wrong stuff.  A full kilo of it!
I sliced and cooked some of it today, and it just tastes like belly pork, not bacon.  They must have given me the unsmoked type.   :(
Does it look or smell smoked? It would be brown on the outside and have an obvious smokey smell. I sometimes cut off small pieces and eat it uncooked as it tastes like smoked ham at that point.  I do that with American bacon too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links