Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 151468 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #2565 on: September 01, 2023, 01:21:20 PM »
I just happen to have a recipe for your own fudgesicles!

Share, please!?!?

I'm craving Cream of Wheat for some strange reason!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2566 on: September 01, 2023, 01:47:58 PM »
Share, please!?!?

I had some this morning for breakfast!  Tesco sells kilogram bags of the stuff

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2567 on: September 01, 2023, 02:07:14 PM »
  I had some this morning for breakfast!  Tesco sells kilogram bags of the stuff

In the form of semolina, yeah? I should get some. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2568 on: September 01, 2023, 03:45:29 PM »
I just happen to have a recipe for your own fudgesicles!

>>my brain whirring around<<  Today i made some chocolate fudge (Velveeta chocolate fudge!! as in, made from Velveeta cheese!!)... but it hasn't really set properly for some reason.  I wonder if i can make it into fudgesicles or something similar?!?!?!   [smiley=idea2.gif]

• Liked: 424
« Reply #2569 on: September 01, 2023, 09:20:18 PM »
Share, please!?!?

Sorry, I never got a notification for your response! I will get you the recipe asap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 424
« Reply #2570 on: September 01, 2023, 09:24:39 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2571 on: September 01, 2023, 10:28:23 PM »
Awesome, thank you!
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2572 on: September 04, 2023, 08:45:14 AM »
In the form of semolina, yeah? I should get some. 
  Is there any difference between cream of wheat and Semolina?  I didn't think so, but then it's been a long time since I had real cream of wheat. 

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2573 on: September 04, 2023, 04:12:08 PM »
I was curious, so....

The Origins of Cream of Wheat

Cream of Wheat is a popular hot breakfast cereal that has been enjoyed for over a century. Developed by Tomlinson Company in the late 19th century, it is a type of porridge made from farina, which is a type of milled wheat that is similar to semolina. Farina is made from the endosperm of wheat that is ground to a fine texture and then sifted to remove bran and germ. The history of farina dates back to the ancient Greeks and Romans who used it as a special treat during festivals. It was also a popular food among the wealthy during the Middle Ages. The word farina comes from the Latin word for flour and was initially used to describe any type of flour. In the 19th century, farina became a popular breakfast food in the United States, particularly in the Midwest. It was often cooked with milk and sugar and served with fruit. However, farina was not widely known outside the Midwest until the introduction of Cream of Wheat. The origins of Cream of Wheat can be traced back to 1893 when an American businessman named Emery Mapes received a sample of cereal from a miller named George Bull. The cereal was made from farina and was a hit with Mapes’ family. Mapes eventually bought the rights to the cereal and started marketing it as Cream of Wheat. Today, Cream of Wheat is a beloved breakfast food that is enjoyed by people of all ages. It is often served with milk and sugar, but can also be prepared with various toppings such as fruit, nuts, and cinnamon.

Farina    Vs  Semolina

Farina                                                                                 Semolina
Made from endosperm of wheat                                  Made from durum wheat
Lighweight and easy to digest                                       Dense and hard to digest
Used in breakfast cereals, puddings, and soups        Used mainly for making pasta and couscous

More at https://dadangoray.com/en/is-cream-of-wheat-farina-or-semolina-understanding-the-differences/

« Reply #2574 on: September 04, 2023, 04:13:01 PM »
>>my brain whirring around<<  Today i made some chocolate fudge (Velveeta chocolate fudge!! as in, made from Velveeta cheese!!)... but it hasn't really set properly for some reason.  I wonder if i can make it into fudgesicles or something similar?!?!?!   [smiley=idea2.gif]

This kind of boggles the mind!

;D

Ice cream topping instead?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:02:05 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #2575 on: September 05, 2023, 08:52:11 AM »
I was curious, so....

The Origins of Cream of Wheat

Cream of Wheat is a popular hot breakfast cereal that has been enjoyed for over a century. Developed by Tomlinson Company in the late 19th century, it is a type of porridge made from farina, which is a type of milled wheat that is similar to semolina. Farina is made from the endosperm of wheat that is ground to a fine texture and then sifted to remove bran and germ. The history of farina dates back to the ancient Greeks and Romans who used it as a special treat during festivals. It was also a popular food among the wealthy during the Middle Ages. The word farina comes from the Latin word for flour and was initially used to describe any type of flour. In the 19th century, farina became a popular breakfast food in the United States, particularly in the Midwest. It was often cooked with milk and sugar and served with fruit. However, farina was not widely known outside the Midwest until the introduction of Cream of Wheat. The origins of Cream of Wheat can be traced back to 1893 when an American businessman named Emery Mapes received a sample of cereal from a miller named George Bull. The cereal was made from farina and was a hit with Mapes’ family. Mapes eventually bought the rights to the cereal and started marketing it as Cream of Wheat. Today, Cream of Wheat is a beloved breakfast food that is enjoyed by people of all ages. It is often served with milk and sugar, but can also be prepared with various toppings such as fruit, nuts, and cinnamon.

Farina    Vs  Semolina

Farina                                                                                 Semolina
Made from endosperm of wheat                                  Made from durum wheat
Lighweight and easy to digest                                       Dense and hard to digest
Used in breakfast cereals, puddings, and soups        Used mainly for making pasta and couscous

More at https://dadangoray.com/en/is-cream-of-wheat-farina-or-semolina-understanding-the-differences/

Excellent research Nan! 

I did a taste test and found that whoppers and malteasers are not the same. 

• Liked: 342
« Reply #2576 on: September 05, 2023, 02:09:49 PM »
Farina    Vs  Semolina

Used in breakfast cereals, puddings, and soups        Used mainly for making pasta and couscous[/i]

Semolina is also used for sweet puddings in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina_pudding

Semolina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina

EDIT Wikipedia also has Cream of Wheat
"Cream of Wheat is an American brand of farina, a type of breakfast porridge mix made from wheat middlings."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_of_Wheat

"Wheat middlings (also known as millfeed, wheat mill run, or wheat midds) are the product of the wheat milling process that is not flour.[1] A good source of protein, fiber, phosphorus, and other nutrients, they are a useful fodder for livestock and pets. [2] They are also being researched for use as a biofuel. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_middlings
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 02:34:38 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #2577 on: September 05, 2023, 05:22:19 PM »
I should say that I was in Tesco yesterday and had semolina on my list.  Couldn't find it!   We'll have to get it from the Middle Eastern Store

« Reply #2578 on: September 06, 2023, 03:12:59 AM »
Semolina is also used for sweet puddings in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina_pudding

Semolina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina

EDIT Wikipedia also has Cream of Wheat
"Cream of Wheat is an American brand of farina, a type of breakfast porridge mix made from wheat middlings."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_of_Wheat

"Wheat middlings (also known as millfeed, wheat mill run, or wheat midds) are the product of the wheat milling process that is not flour.[1] A good source of protein, fiber, phosphorus, and other nutrients, they are a useful fodder for livestock and pets. [2] They are also being researched for use as a biofuel. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_middlings

Hmmm, I wonder what Cream of Wheat added to flour when making bread would do to it. Aside from it being healthier, I wonder how it would rise?

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2579 on: September 06, 2023, 04:48:50 PM »
This kind of boggles the mind!

;D

Ice cream topping instead?

I had brought some Velveeta back from my last trip to Texas and was looking for some interesting recipes to use it.  I saw the fudge and thought that sounded totally freakish and had to be tried!
It was nothing but icing sugar, butter, velveeta, cocoa powder and vanilla extract... and it was strangely really good!
It set to the texture of cake frosting, so i used most of it for that (cupcakes) and froze the rest... when frozen it was the right texture, so we'll just eat it straight from the freezer. ;D

Sponsored Links