Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse visa in Chicago  (Read 529 times)

• Liked: 0
Spouse visa in Chicago
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »
Hi,

I'm probably just being impatient but was wondering if anyone had any experiences that could put my mind at rest... My husband applied for a spousal visa from Chicago which they say they started processing on July 31st. We are still waiting. Is that unusual?

thanks

Catherine

Re: Spouse visa in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »
My spousal visa application reached Chicago on the morning of August 15th, but it took them 9 working days before they opened it. I got a confirmation e-mail last night stating that I should allow them 10 working days to process it, and if it is deemed non-straightforward, 15.

It shouldnt be taking them this long to make a decision on yours, regardless of how swamped they are. The consensus right now is that it should take about 20 working days to process and be completed, give or take a couple days.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
If they say they started processing it July 31st then you are right at your 20 Business day mark.. but I am unaware of how long after that constitutes being able to try to reach them somehow to check on the status...?  I think that 20 Business days is what they 'try' to do.. it is not a guarantee.  Maybe somebody else here will know when you are actually allowed to try to contact them to check on the status?
11 Aug 00 - Married (Living in US)
25 Jul 08 - Spousal Visa w/ KOL Stamp Approved
01 Oct 08 - Arrived in the UK
05 Mar 09 - ILR Approved (In Person Appointment ~ Liverpool Office)

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »
Does 20 working days mean 20 working days from the date they received your application or from the date they emailed you?

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:15:11 PM »
I believe from the date that they send you the E-Mail saying it has been received... however I know that not everybody gets that 'received' E-Mail so maybe it means from the date it is delivered to the Consulate.   :-\\\\

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »
Would there be any point in me faxing them a letter enquiring about the status of my application? Tomorrow will be the 20th working day that they've had it, but not the 20th day since they've sent me an email. :S

I'm supposed to start a job in the UK on Monday. *sigh*

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 12:20:54 AM »
Does 20 working days mean 20 working days from the date they received your application or from the date they emailed you?

This is a good question, because Im actually not at my home, Im staying with my sister in New York, and I cant afford to keep living here if its going to be another month until I get my visa. Im sure Im not alone when I say that the British Consulate could not have found a poorer way to handle the visa application process. Making it unable for one to gain information such as wait times, and more importantly the status of your application!

I am really curious as to why they have to leave you in the dark the entire time about it. I feel that I have a right to know the status of my application and shouldnt have to sit around waiting the entire time. This messes everything up when youre making a huge move in your life, with family, friends, your current job, finances. Its pretty much an embarassement to them if you ask me.

And yet after all that, I sit here and wait like everyone else.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:48:46 AM »
There are many here that feel exactly what you are going thru I know it is hard but believe me it could be a lot worse!  My husband's Immigration from the UK to the US was the worst and it took THREE YEARS for us to finally get a Green Card in hand.  That was bad.

I know it's hard just know that it will get all worked out and they are working hard, from what I have read on here this time of year is very busy for them.

My fingers are crossed for you guys!! 

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
Nope, you can't fax them and ask about the progress of your application. You just have to wait. I'm in the same boat too (along with a few others) waiting in the UK for FLR's and ILR's. It's just a waiting game at the moment.
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab