Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR (In Person) and Conviction  (Read 668 times)

• Liked: 0
ILR (In Person) and Conviction
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »
Hi All,

Vicky you may remember me from another thread:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=45468.msg640262#msg640262

Well I was approved for my Spousal Visa! Yeah!   :D

My next question is about my ILR, Since hubby and I have been married for over 4 years my Spousal Visa was approved with the KOL stamp.  I plan on applying for my ILR very soon after we get to the UK (which is just in a couple weeks now).

I saved up a bit more money working overtime so that I can do the In Person Application but not sure as now I am reading that it says it needs to be a straight forward application without any convictions..

Will my situation (outlined in above thread)  mean that I can not do the In Person Application?  Since will I will be looking for jobs right away I didn't want to send off my Passport right after getting to the UK.

If I do try to apply in person and they think I need to mail it in will this hurt my mailed in application and will I have to pay the fee to them twice?   :o

Thanks for any advice....

Re: ILR (In Person) and Conviction
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:15:37 PM »
Congrats on your visa!

If I'm reading this correctly, your conviction was in 1999, which means it is probably spent, and thus would not need to be declared on your application (there is a note about this on the application-so you can check up on this). If I remember correctly, this note does not appear on the entry clearance applications (i.e. the spousal visa you received in the US), which is why you needed to declare it.

Hopefully one of the experts will correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:22:26 PM by kate_mate »

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:25:30 PM »
[smiley=balloon.gif]Congratulations!  [smiley=balloon.gif]

Sorry I haven't any advice to offer, but I'm confused...If you've been married over four years, why a KOL stamp as opposed to ILE? 

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
If the OP hasn't taken the Knowledge of Life (KOL) in the UK test, no ILE (or ILR).  Meaning once she is in the UK and has taken and passed the test, she can apply for ILR right away...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 09:30:30 PM »
If the OP hasn't taken the Knowledge of Life (KOL) in the UK test, no ILE (or ILR).  Meaning once she is in the UK and has taken and passed the test, she can apply for ILR right away...

This is the exact case! I did look into buying a ticket just for myself to go over for a week to take the test and check out rental houses, etc.  But after finding out the prices for flights vs. just paying for a Spousal Visa it was cheaper to just get the Spousal now and then apply for ILR once I am in the UK.

I really wish there would have been a way to take the test here, hopefully that is something that they will look into for the future!

If I'm reading this correctly, your conviction was in 1999, which means it is probably spent, and thus would not need to be declared on your application (there is a note about this on the application-so you can check up on this). If I remember correctly, this note does not appear on the entry clearance applications (i.e. the spousal visa you received in the US), which is why you needed to declare it.

Oh I do hope this is right, I would hate to arrive and then be without my Passport for like 8 weeks.  We are going to be trying to set up a bank account, get a cell phone contract, find a place to rent and look for jobs.  Seeing as how my Passport will be my only proof that I am even allowed to live/work in the UK I don't want to part with it if I don't have to.  And I am scared that if I don't try to get my ILR right away the fees will more than likely go up and then I'll just be kicking myself in the butt for not getting it taken care of quickly.   :)

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:06:08 AM »
This is the exact case! I did look into buying a ticket just for myself to go over for a week to take the test and check out rental houses, etc.  But after finding out the prices for flights vs. just paying for a Spousal Visa it was cheaper to just get the Spousal now and then apply for ILR once I am in the UK.

I really wish there would have been a way to take the test here, hopefully that is something that they will look into for the future!

Ah, ok, I see.  I think I got confused on this definition in the sticky: KOL- Knowledge of Life/Language.  Refers to the requirement to demonstrate knowledge of the English language and knowledge of life in the UK for ILR applicants (introduced April 2007) and applicants for citizenship who received ILR before April 2007. These requirements can be fulfilled by passing the Life in the UK Test.

I was trying to figure out why they'd give you a sticker for the test, if you still had to apply for ILR...duh...need more coffee.  ::)

I'm interested in cases like this because I'm in a similar boat, actually, regarding this detail.  I've been married awhile, and hoping for ILE, but...

I'm not applying til Spring, at the earliest, and I'd THOUGHT that going over for the test might be worth it, but now with ticket prices I'm not so sure.

And I am scared that if I don't try to get my ILR right away the fees will more than likely go up and then I'll just be kicking myself in the butt for not getting it taken care of quickly.   :)

Yes, exactly.  Very much the same here!

Very, very best of luck with the past conviction issue.  It sounds like you'll be just fine, though.   :)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »
Spent.  No need to declare.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab