Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: OMG! a 3rd email after being told 15 working days...  (Read 1954 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: OMG! a 3rd email after being told 15 working days...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 03:26:18 AM »
Yeah, MD has a higher population than OR does, the nearest option for me would probably have been seattle washington... a good 3 hours drive for me... and since I don't have a car  [smiley=doh.gif] it wasn't really an option... actually I didn't even GET an option, there was only one calendar I had access to.

but SMS has an excellent point =) I wish I would have had more info about the Biometrics deal as well when I was working on getting my app stuff together, I wuld have probably managed to push myself and get the app in sooner.
7/28/08 - Online Visa App. Completed [smiley=computer.gif]
8/20/08 - Biometric Apt. (Sup. Docs Mailed)  [smiley=smug2.gif]
8/25/08 - LA Consulate, App. & Docs Received  ;D
9/04/08 - 2 Emails: 5 & 10 days wait notice  [smiley=confused.gif]
9/18/08 - 1 Email: 12 weeks wait notice  [smiley=puke.gif]
9/21/08 - Consulate phoned to ask departure (said Oct. 24th) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
9/22/08 - @8:51AM VISA APPROVED OMG!!! [smiley=hug.gif]
10/25/08 Land in England!!![smiley=laugh4.gif] )
1/03/09 - Tentative wedding date

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 03:26:56 AM »
Thanks a lot! I guess it's better to do online application in advance. The only thing is that I don't have some visa conditions fulfilled yet at this moment. Do they take biometrics date or on-line application date as the official application date? I'm still not clear on the timeframes.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 04:38:07 AM »
From the Appointment confirmation email I received

"IMPORTANT ยน All your supporting documents, including your application, travel document and your stamped biometric appointment confirmation form should be mailed to the visa issuing office shown below within TWO weeks of having your biometrics taken"

Hope that answers your question regarding if you should finish your application before you have all your supporting documents, so it depends on when your appointment will be, etc.

I waited til I had all my support documentation together before I finished my online application.

I don't know what date determines the start of your 12 weeks etc... the 12 weeks is a time period they strive for I believe, I think it just depends on your individual circumstances. Again I am not positive about it, hehe most the time through this process I haven't felt positive about anything other than I want to be with my DF! hehe
9/21/08 - Consulate phoned to ask departure (said Oct. 24th) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 10:28:41 AM »
The delay for biometrics is silly and pointless, as they are certainly not full.  This is something I have tried to raise but I don't think anyone is really bothered.

Vicky

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »
The 12 weeks begins when they have all your stuff.  Including the go-ahead from DHS.  They won't begin until they have all the documentation at hand to examine. 

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
Yeah, MD has a higher population than OR does, the nearest option for me would probably have been seattle washington... a good 3 hours drive for me... and since I don't have a car  [smiley=doh.gif] it wasn't really an option... actually I didn't even GET an option, there was only one calendar I had access to.
Ugh, I know - the closest place to me was 2 hrs away, one way.  But it was of course worth it, and easier for me having access to a car!

PapaGus - as Calamity_Jane noted, real deadlines don't really begin until you've enrolled your biometrics.  After you do the appointment, you have 2 weeks to get everything (including the biometrics appointment sheet) in to whichever Consulate your state is covered by.  You will need a lot of the documents you will include in the whole package to complete the application, or at least I did as I didn't know things by heart, so if you don't have all the documents, you might not want to start now.  However, in case you don't know, the application can be started now and you can save it along the way.  It will be saved for 7 days, after which you'll just have to restart.  If you want, you could go in before the 7 days expires each time to renew it.  Whether it's worth it is up to you of course.  I know during these times sometimes it helps to just feel like you're doing something and making some progress somehow!

I have read of other people completing and submitting their applications online before their marriage has even taken place, just filling in the future date.  I don't know if that's ok or not, though none of them seemed to have any trouble.  I worry about everything so just waited till I was married and then we did the application together when my husband was over. 

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 01:30:37 PM »
The delay for biometrics is silly and pointless, as they are certainly not full.  This is something I have tried to raise but I don't think anyone is really bothered.

Vicky

Definitely true in my experience.  The tiny Chicago place I went to in March was empty, and I was finished 45 minutes before my appointment was scheduled.  In Seattle last month I had mine done in this big, shiny Department of Homeland Security building, and it was completely deserted.  Both appointments were made a month in advance and apparently booked until the dates I went in.  I have a hard time believing that!

Vicky, just out of curiosity have you known anyone who has had any luck simply dropping in?
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
helle_chic I did my biometric appointment that way. I had my appointment set for 9/11 (very convenient lol) but wanted to get in earlier so I dropped by on 9/9 at 8am but they told me to come back after 11am as this was when drop ins were taken. I came back and the whole process took 10 min and I was done. They didn't have a problem at all and there was no one there. I sent my stuff to LA Consulate by 4:30pm that afternoon and got my confirmation emails on 9/11, the day after they received everything.

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »
Hi,
I am having the exact same experience as Calamity Jane, including getting emails from the British consulate on the same dates!  I was also feeling panicky after getting that 12 week email which made it sound like they had just opened my application, even though they sent me emails 2 weeks ago.  I am wondering what to expect next, and how to plan ahead for things like getting my airplane ticket, and planning for moving.  I was hoping to leave in early December.  Is it safe to book an airplane ticket if it is more than 12 weeks out?  Also, what about planning for having my things shipped over?  When should I start that process?  Also, I understand that you must use your visa within 28 days of it being issued, but that it can be post dated up to 3 months.  How do I communicate to the consulate when I want to leave?  I am worried that I will just be receiving another email and never have a chance to communicate with a real person!  Thanks for your help!  This has helped me feel much better.  p.s  Calamity Jane, I am from Corvallis.  No wonder the consulate is so busy, processing all these applications from Oregon!
7/24/08 - completed online application
8/16/08 - biometrics appointment
8/22 - mailed application
9/4/08 - email from British Consulate for 5 days, then 10 days to process
9/18/08 - email from British consulate for 12 wks

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »
Wow, so sorry to hear most of you are still waiting. I submitted my application for my Spousal Visa online on a Tuesday, had my biometrics appointment on Friday, FedEx'd my documents overnight to LA the same day and received confirmation on the Monday from FedEx that the delivery was made. Received email from the consulate on the Monday that "Your application, passport and supporting documentation have arrived safely in this office and are currently being processed.  Our normal processing time for mailed applications is 5 working (Monday - Friday) days.  You will receive further notification by email once your visa has been issued.  Please do not call this office unless we have exceeded this time frame.  Please note that our visa enquiry line serviced by Worldbridge will not be able to answer any status enquiries."

I received a phone call about an hour later and they asked me a few questions and told me over the phone that they were issuing the visa. I received this email shortly after: " Your application has been approved and the visa has been issued."

Application submitted March 11 2008
Visa Issued March 17 2008
Received Passport/Visa back on March 19 2008
On plane back to my Husband on March 23rd 2008.

Sorry to hear of all the troubles out there. Maybe it is just the time of year.

Best of luck to you all. If you have any questions just shout out.

***Edited to add I had already booked my ticket prior to sending out my documents. I had included a copy of my ticket with my information that I sent to the consulate.***

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:41:26 PM by WebyJ »

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 07:54:26 PM »
Also, I understand that you must use your visa within 28 days of it being issued, but that it can be post dated up to 3 months.  How do I communicate to the consulate when I want to leave?  I am worried that I will just be receiving another email and never have a chance to communicate with a real person! 

Did you mention in your application and in your Letter of Support when you were planning on leaving?

I do not believe you will have any 'human' contact between now and your Visa is issued.  If you did not request it to be post dated I do not believe they will.

In my case I applied for my Spousal in July and mentioned at the end of the application and DH mentioned it in the support letter that we were planning on flying out September 30th.  So when we got the Visa back it was dated for September 20th.

Maybe you can try faxing the Consulate to let them know that you needed it post dated?  Just make sure to but your name, passport #, Application # and contact information...  Not sure if it will help but I do not believe they they will post date it unless you had previously ask that of them.
11 Aug 00 - Married (Living in US)
25 Jul 08 - Spousal Visa w/ KOL Stamp Approved
01 Oct 08 - Arrived in the UK
05 Mar 09 - ILR Approved (In Person Appointment ~ Liverpool Office)

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
LOL yeah about all the Oregonians heading over, at least the weather will be about the same where we are moving to as here... poor sunny staters are in for a 'treat' with all the liquid sunshine the UK has to offer =)

I received a phone call about an hour later and they asked me a few questions and told me over the phone that they were issuing the visa. I received this email shortly after: " Your application has been approved and the visa has been issued."

I believe it was fairly recently that you can now only do an online application, probably to expedite the proceedure, it's much more efficient. I haven't heard too many people who recently did the online application say that they received a phone call, just an email etc. I could be wrong tho.

Application submitted March 11 2008
Visa Issued March 17 2008
Received Passport/Visa back on March 19 2008
On plane back to my Husband on March 23rd 2008.

You probably received it so quickly because you had submitted it before the mad crashing rush of student visas became an issue, again not positive. I think that is why we are all in the situation we are in with the waitng and the 12 week letter as has been explained in previous posts.

I think you might be able to go to the URL listed in the email to send an email to the consulate that your application is at, you have to search around for it a bit. They might put the date out for you, it's worth a shot. I don't know what the fax number to the places are or would list them as well.

I have been on the internet since 1997... I am a computer geek and junkie but I have only ever been a troll before when I have forums. I feel totally comfortable and compelled to post when ever I think I have anything helpful to say or if I am just feeling chatty LOL.

I just want to say again that I LOVE this board, UKYers ROCK MY WORLD!

I would be in tatters without ya all!

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
No, we didn't mention a date in the application.  I assumed I had to wait to get a Visa before I could make any plans, but 12 weeks is a big spread and depending on if it gets issued sooner or later I may or may not need to have it post-dated.  28 days really isn't long enough to make plans these days.  They just don't seem to give you a lot of information up front about the process.  I think I will book my ticket and then try to fax route to let the Embassy know my plans.  Thanks for the tip.

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
Woooaah! Oregon is on the move!!! ;D

The email said that they entering the peak time of the year... so that Student visa is one of reasons why we getting all this 12 weeks email?

when do class starts in UK? I really need my visa soon! my 3 week old baby boy is waiting for me :\\\'(!

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 12:43:55 PM »
I believe it was fairly recently that you can now only do an online application, probably to expedite the proceedure, it's much more efficient. I haven't heard too many people who recently did the online application say that they received a phone call, just an email etc. I could be wrong tho.

I received three phone calls from them the day my Fiance visa was submitted.  The first one came through at 9 am and they wanted clarification of something on my app.  Then another call 30 minutes later for more clarification.  30 minutes later they called to say they were isssuing my visa and said congratulations!  So altogether, they had my app less than two hours before they called to tell me it was approved.  This was at the LA Consulate
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

Sponsored Links