Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Computer  (Read 1346 times)

Computer
« on: January 01, 2003, 02:35:46 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to this website and will be moving to England at the end of January (working for Ford Credit in the Brentwood/Warley area).  I'll be coming alone, and know next to nothing about elecrical stuff.  So, I have a question about bringing my computer.  I saw in the Electronics section that the computer would be compatible in the UK, but I'm not sure about the monitor and printer.  Does anyone know if I'll need to buy new ones?

I'm also considering getting a laptop and leaving my entire current system behind.

Any advice or suggestions you have would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Julia

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 09:44:35 AM »
Hi Julia!
I know a few people at Ford Credit in Brentwood; great bunch of folks! What an exciting adventure for you!

As for your computer, my vote is to get the laptop. That for sure works on both voltages and you won't have the fuss of the monitor. Your regular computer, the CPU part, will work, but your monitor won't. The printer, well, even if it works on dual voltage, not a lot of American printers default to anything but US sizes. You'll eventually wish you'd never bothered. You see, paper size is different here. There is no 8 1/2 x 11. Or legal, or ledger size. The two more common sizes here are A4 and A3 (the A3 is twice the size of A4). A4 is close to the US 8 1/2 x 11, but it's still not the same (A4 is narrower and longer).

While I'm at it, I noticed your relating question on another topic area. About electrics. Frankly, I'd suggest you not bother. Even with adapters the life span of your electrical gadget will shorten. It's not worth the risk. Lamps for sure will not work. Might as well give all your lightbulbs away. (Batteries, however, ARE the same.) Bring anything that's dual voltage 110/230 (or 120/240). VHS tapes won't work unless they are labelled "PAL" (NTSC is the US VHS and it won't work unless you have a dual PAL/NTSC player, not the most common thing on the shelves). You'd be okay with DVDs on your computer, but you may have to fiddle with set-ups and coding (which may invalidate your warranty) on a UK DVD player to get US DVDs to work. (I fiddled with mine and it was incredibly easy...shhhhh.)

On the topic of fiddling and lamps, many lamps are just shells with easy-to-change cords fed through. If you love your lamp, it could be really really easy to remove and replace the electrics of it. I've got a few lamps sitting in my garage waiting for me to do this.

Forget bringing your vaccuum. Besides, I personally feel vaccuums are far far better here, great suction! In fact, a lot of appliances here are great and not hugely expensive.

Are you settling here for a while, or just here for a couple of years? Is Ford paying moving costs? (It's just that you might want to consider storage, etc.)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 0
Re: LAMPS
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 01:31:44 PM »
Lamps will work just fine if you get plug adapters and UK bulbs.  I learned this from some other gals in the Jr. League who have been here for several years.  Works great!

I agree with Lisa E about the other electrical stuff -- don't bother bringing stuff.  I've got a friend who moved over here about the same time we did, but she brought all her electrical stuff, spent a small fortune on transformers, and within the first two weeks blew up her hairdryer, vacuum, computer (had the voltage switched to UK, but then plugged it into the transformer), toaster, alarm clock, and a few other items.  So, not only did she have to buy new stuff, now her US stuff is broken.  We left all our electrical stuff (except my laptop and our lamps) in storage in the States -- much easier.

Good luck on your move!
Stephanie

Stephanie

Re: Computer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2003, 04:38:05 PM »
Thanks Lisa and Stephanie!

You were a great help.  Now I have an excuse to buy a new toy (laptop) and I'll plan to bring a few lamps with me.  

Yes, Ford is paying for the move and will provide storage here for me in the states.  My place in Stock is very cute, but small, so I'll be leaving over half my stuff here.

I'm thrilled to have this opportunity, but am overwhelmed at the moment by all I have to get done before I leave.  But, I suppose the best attitude is just to try to relax and do what I can (and try not worry about the rest).

Thanks again!
Julia

Sponsored Links