Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: changing from spousal visa w/KOL to ILR  (Read 1354 times)

• Liked: 1
changing from spousal visa w/KOL to ILR
« on: September 21, 2008, 07:22:33 PM »
I know there are a few people on here who received a spousal visa w/KOL (under 282c). Has anyone successfully entered on that visa, taken the KOL test, and applied for ILR in-person?

If so, how smooth was the process? What was the total cost? (test + in-person ILR). And finally, exactly how many days did the entire process take?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:24:39 PM by sevans »

• Liked: 0
Re: changing from spousal visa w/KOL to ILR
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:24:46 PM »
How long? Impossible to say, given that one cannot be totally certain how long it will take to study for and pass the test. But as regards the ILR application, if you apply in person at a PEO then as long as all the required evidence is produced the visa should be issued on a same-day basis. If you apply by post then it varies, but assume say 4 weeks.

Costs? Test fee is £34. Applying for ILR in person at a PEO costs £950, or if you apply for ILR by post it costs £750.

John

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:38:52 PM »
How long? Impossible to say, given that one cannot be totally certain how long it will take to study for and pass the test.

I'm assuming that I'd pass on the first try.   :)

So what I mean is, does anyone have any experiencing passing the test (I then know you need to wait about a week before you can apply in-person) and getting ILR in-person?

Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »
Not at UKY, but I tracked a few cases of the girls at http://www.rupoint.co.uk/ doing this in 2007 when the rule was new.  After seeing that it was all routine and mechanical, I stopped watching it.

It's just like John says. 

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
Okay! Thanks Garry and John.  :)

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
I'm assuming that I'd pass on the first try

That might well be a good assumption .... if you study for the test!  Or without study I think I could guarantee that you will fail! Put it another way, for me, having lived in the UK all my life, there is no doubt in my mind I would fail if I failed to study for the test, and then took it (which thankfully I don't need to do).
John

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
That might well be a good assumption .... if you study for the test!  Or without study I think I could guarantee that you will fail!

Thanks - I've read enough about it to know that I'd need to study to pass it. :) The cost of ILR is much more worrying to me than having to memorize a bunch of facts.  ::)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »
The cost of ILR is much more worrying to me than having to memorize a bunch of facts.

Then save £200 by applying by post.
John

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »
Then save £200 by applying by post.

Yes. Thanks for your help  :), but my situation is a bit more complicated than that. I'd have to do it in person.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 08:09:25 PM »
Can you explain? Complicated in what way? Because you need your passport constantly? OK, fair enough.

However if an application really is complicated, never ever apply in person at a PEO. It is always best to submit complicated applications by post.
John

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 08:11:16 PM »
There is a long back story here John.  You need to know the detail, really, and there is a lot!

Vicky

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
Thanks, Vicky.  ;)

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »
Vicky, against that background, whatever it is, and knowing you have posted on the internet a quite number of times that contentious applications should not be made in person at a PEO, are you thinking that it is OK for the application to be made in that way?
John

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »
I don't think this is contentious, and Garry has already said that he knows of quite a few people who have done this on the same day service without problems. 

Bearing in mind the timescales, I don't think Sevans has any choice but to give it a go.  The worst case scenario is that they don't accept the application and she wastes a few hours.

Vicky

Sponsored Links