Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Urgent Questions: Student & Student Dependent Visas Denied  (Read 855 times)

• Liked: 0
Urgent Questions: Student & Student Dependent Visas Denied
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
[I'm wordy to a fault: most important parts are bolded & questions are at the end.]

It's kind of embarrassing for this to be my first post here, but I'm desperate for some advice.  I will preface this by saying that we now realize that our submission was probably inadequate & that we should have sought advice about what documents to include.  I regret not finding this site sooner, & I'm very sorry for cluttering it with another "urgent! help please!" post.  We have already contacted the university’s International Students Office; they instructed us to contact the British Council with our names, passport numbers, contact information, & a description of our situation.  However, it’s been 2 days & we haven’t heard from the British Council.  I don’t know where else to turn.

Our situation: Husband has unconditional offer from UK university.  I am enrolled at US university & my department has approved a year of research abroad.  He applied for student visa; I applied for student dependent.  We submitted through a courier (promised 48-hour turnaround) to the Chicago consulate.  I can explain why we submitted so late, if anyone cares, but with regard to my questions I’m not sure it makes a difference.

We each submitted:
  • student & student dependent applications with biometric data sheets & passports
  • H's unconditional offer letter
  • H's UK university registration receipt
  • letter from H's US employer stating that while on sabbatical he will receive full salary ($X)
  • marriage certificate

We were called for additional financial information.  (Note: while on the phone, I asked if any other parts of our applications presented problems or needed additional documentation; the woman said no.)  We then faxed over bank statements, IRA statements, & a letter from our bank confirming our good standing.  A day later, our courier informed us that we had been denied visas.  The courier was able to clear H to go up to the consulate to inquire about the denial, as well as to request our passports back.  H went to the consulate in person to inquire but they would not let him past the lobby & they would not tell him why we had been denied – they said someone “might call” to tell us why.  He was able to get our passports back.

Given that both of us were denied, after researching common visa problems it seems most probable that the officer did not believe we had sufficient funds (and when I talked to the consulate on the phone, it sounded like the letter confirming that H will still receive $X in salary wasn’t even being counted).  So we now(after the denial) have a notarized letter of sponsorship from H’s parents and their bank statements to submit.  We are prepared to submit other documentation if necessary... of course all of this means nothing until we find out why we were denied.

We need to be in the UK ASAP – H is already going to miss orientation week (next week) & the term starts on October 6th.  Furthermore, we have paid the deposit on a flat & will need to begin paying rent this week.  My questions are:
1. How long will it take for the reason of denial letter to come?  We were denied on Friday the 19th.  No one has called & we haven’t received anything from the consulate.
2. Can we reapply right away?  Or should we appeal? Based on what I’ve read here, it seems reapplication is faster & what we should be doing – but the official sites (ukvisas & bia) do not give any directions for reapplying.
3. If we should be reapplying, do we need to wait for the denial letter?  Or is there a way of quickly finding out why we were denied?  Should we expect this letter soon (given tha twe used a courier)?  It’s killing us just to sit here, in our temporary residence, waiting & wasting time/money.
4. If we should reapply, do we have to get the biometrics done again?  We had them done on Tuesday, Sept. 16 & I thought they were good for 2 weeks.
5. If we should reapply, must we pay the visa application fee again? I still have printouts and PDFs of our previous applications (I really don’t want to pay...but of course we will if it’s necessary).
6. Do you think that there are additional documents we should include in our reapplication/appeal? (e.g. transcripts, statement from my department, another letter from H's employer?)

I’m sorry for all the questions, but we’re really overwhelmed with this; plus, you know, we feel like criminals or something.  :(  We were supposed to leave on the 21st...after the courier went through our documents & said it was a straightforward application, H booked plane tickets, a hotel room, and train tickets (yes, i know – we shouldn’t have done this). We’re out a great deal of money now because of the denial.  I’m just trying to figure out how to get us there as quickly as possible so that we don’t have to lose more money. 

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:21:21 AM by aletheis »

Re: Urgent Questions: Student & Student Dependent Visas Denied
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:22:43 AM »
This one doesn't sound right either.   :-\\\\  Could it be another stop-gapped resource?

What does your GV51 say?  Exactly please.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:56:22 AM »
This one doesn't sound right either.   :-\\\\  Could it be another stop-gapped resource?

What does your GV51 say?  Exactly please.

We don't have the GV51 yet.  H was able to get the passports back from the consulate official, but didn't receive papers or even a few sentences explaining why we were denied (nor did he get our biometrics sheets back).  The official said we couldn't be told the reason for the denial until the refusal was processed.  Instead, he was told someone "might call" this week to say why our applications were denied.  We were denied Friday so I had hoped to get a call yesterday or today.  I assume that generally the GV51 is mailed?  I wish I knew how quickly...

I'm not precisely sure what you mean by "stop-gapped resource."  We didn't have any massive inexplicable increases in our bank account, if that's what you mean...

I should add that we have no criminal record, debts (other than student loans, & we are in good standing there), or other sketchy personal details.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:22:18 AM by aletheis »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »
Quite simply...there is nothing enyone here can do to help until you have the refusal statement and we know why you have been refused.

Vicky

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »

I'm not precisely sure what you mean by "stop-gapped resource."  We didn't have any massive inexplicable increases in our bank account, if that's what you mean...

I think Garry means that because of the extra influx of applications this time of year, they've brought in extra help to reduce the cycle time for approval of the applications. So perhaps yours was reviewed by someone less experienced in these matters.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »
Actually, there is something wrong here.  An application MUST be accompanied by a refusal statement.  This statement must be given with the passports.  I am confused as to how the courier was given the passports but without the refusal statement.  Who has told you this was refused?  How were you told?

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
Actually, there is something wrong here.  An application MUST be accompanied by a refusal statement.  This statement must be given with the passports.  I am confused as to how the courier was given the passports but without the refusal statement.  Who has told you this was refused?  How were you told?

Since I wasn't there in person to hear the refusal, I asked my husband to write up the exact proceedings of what happened at the consulate.  Also, the courier didn't receive the passports (though he was the one who first informed us that we'd been denied) - he simply authorized H to speak with someone at the consulate.  H was the one who actually received the passports.

Here's H's account:
"I was in the Wrigley Building on the 1st floor - the consulate is on the 13th. I spoke with security guard #1 - who radioed up and asked for someone to help me. The Chief of Security came down and said the visas were deferred and I would have to wait. I told him about my predicament and asked if he could have somebody, anybody, tell me what the hold-up was. He radioed up and asked for assistance.

After 10 or so minutes, a woman emerged from the elevator. I was handed the passports and original documents (original marriage certificate, etc.) by N****. She said she was an assistant in the consulate but was very quick to deny being our case worker. She said that they were telling us our applications had been deferred only because the paperwork hadn't been processed yet and that in reality, our applications had been denied. I inquired as to the reason. She said that she didn't work on our case and couldn't release the reason until the paperwork was processed. She handed me the passports and originals - no other documents and no biometric sheets - and said that someone "might" be in touch with us soon. The best they can do, she said, was to contact us in the first half of this week.

It is now Wednesday and we have received no letters and no calls (to our knowledge)."

I know no one can really help until we get the refusal letter.  I mean, we can't really do much until we have that letter.  But how long will it take to get it?  What if we never get it because our passports were already returned to us?  I'm fine with making another application, shelling out another $400 if we absolutely must, but I don't know if we can even do that until we receive notification of why we were denied.  I am at a loss here.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:04:54 PM by aletheis »

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:38:07 PM »
This story is *deeply* worrying. 

For those following this thread:  peeps, no matter how stressed you get, don't try what the OP did and approach a consulate without supervision.   British diplomats do *NOT* engage random members of the public in the lobby of the Wrigley bldg.  Or anywhere else in public for that matter.

*deeply* worrying...   :o

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »
They just handed your passports over in the lobby of a building? Did they check his identity? 
Wow, what an interesting story!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:23:42 PM »
What Garry said.

TOTALLY against procedure.  From beginning to end.

Complain, NOW, get that refusal statement.  This should NEVER have happened.  As far as I can see you haven't been formally refused yet.

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:09 PM »
What Garry said.

TOTALLY against procedure.  From beginning to end.

Complain, NOW, get that refusal statement.  This should NEVER have happened.  As far as I can see you haven't been formally refused yet.

Vicky

What is the best way to lodge a complaint and/or get the refusal statement (if one has even been issued)?

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 02:01:54 AM »
The complaint form on www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab