Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: They let me in for a month, will it hurt my chances of them granting my visa?  (Read 569 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello,

My fiance (a UK citizen) and I (US) are planning on taking a trip to America in October to get married and apply for the marriage visa. I was in England for about 4 months from April and when I tried to come back they almost didn't let me in and said that they thought I was a 'threat' for staying longer than I was allowed, although I told her our plan was to return to the US together in November. They eventually let me in for one month after talking to my fiance and deciding that we are legit.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else in the past, and will it hurt our chances of being granted the visa?

Also, it has been worrying my fiance that it will look fishy if we get married and apply for the marriage visa the next day. Is there any problem with this?

Thank you so much,
Julie

I hope it doesn't hurt your chances because I was in a similar situation.  I was in England Feb-May 2007, went back to the states, returned in mid-June and was nearly sent packing.  The fault was mine, I was naive and ignorant of the rules at that time, no return ticket, badly answered questions, etc.  But, thankfully, my passport was stamped for another 6 month visit and I was allowed in with a warning to get my visa sorted before making another trip.  Which is what I'm in the process of doing now.  Waiting by the phone/computer today for that important call/email.  And because I'm sitting here all day long of course it won't happen til tomorrow or the next day.   :)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Won't matter at all.

Vicky

Thank you Vicky!  For all the great things you do here, thank you very much!   :)

• Our aniversary and citizenship celebratiom
The same happened to me in 2005 and my now wife got called in to talk to them and answer questions and they stamped my passport for 6 months also, we then flew back and married in the states and I came back and have now been here 3 years.

So you I hope that helps. :)

Indy and Sonya

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Julie, your question has already been answered definitively, but I just wanted to add that I was also in the UK for 3 months, returned 2 months later to stay for 6 months.  I was asked to wait in the little room and was questioned heavily.  They granted me the 6 months with a friendly warning to get a visa for the next trip over.  After the 6 month visit I returned to the US and got the visa (fiance) of course!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

Thank you for all of your answers. I'm so jealous to those of you that they let in for another 6 months :) It's a relief to hear that this won't effect my chances of getting in.

I was grilled by the IO for almost 2 hours last year when I came as a visitor. But they let me in for 6 months after looking at my bank statements and my wage stubs and seeing the letter from my then had-never-met face to face boyfriend. I stayed till Feb 2008 and went back to the US together, got married, he flew back 2 days later and I got my new ID's & Passport and then my visa and went back to the UK within 6 weeks of leaving. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab