Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Buying a house - flat in /near London  (Read 2374 times)

• Liked: 0
Buying a house - flat in /near London
« on: May 24, 2004, 11:44:51 AM »
Can anyone guide me as to how to get started in educating myself in the financial world?  I decided along with moving here, it was time to be a grown-up and learn about finances/budgeting/saving/housing/mortgages and all that fun stuff; that I always figured I'd never do 'cause I'd never be able to afford it anyway.
Well, I'm changing that mentality... someone said start with a broker ?? and sit down now, even though I have very little in the bank, and get to know the process now, instead of when I have a chunk o'change to lay out.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Liked: 1
Re: Buying a house - flat in /near London
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 08:00:29 PM »
What we did is go to the bank and speak to a personal banker.  Some of them are really crap (be warned if you go to the Barclays in Kingston--higher than average count of bad bankers).  However, some are really good and can help you budget and think about how to get a mortgage and save, etc.

Most estate agents have financial advisors attached to them  they can look at what kind of mortgage you need and what you are likely to get.  THe guy buying my house has a 100% mortgage.  I found foxtons estate agents really helpful when looking for houses in London--provided loads of advice and were really willing to go the extra mile.

Hope that helps
Kat
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 09:58:02 AM »
Fantastic... thanks for replying!
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:04:15 PM »
Ann Maurice, the House Doctor, has written a book on the housing market, and it's supposed to be a really good guide to all aspects of buying/selling houses. 

Sponsored Links