Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: When can you take the life in the UK test?  (Read 4701 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
When can you take the life in the UK test?
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »
Forgive me, as I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere, but I was wondering when you are allowed to take the life in the UK test.  Can you take it anytime before you apply for your ILR, or do you have to wait and take it just before you apply?  Was just curious if this is something I could just get out of the way in advance... (thinking WAY ahead here, as I have only been here a few months!)

• Liked: 0
Re: When can you take the life in the UK test?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »
I was wondering when you are allowed to take the life in the UK test.

Whenever you are ready, preferably after studying sufficiently for the test.

Or put it another way, the pass certificate does not expire, it can be used whenever you need to use it.
John

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »
While it doesn't expire, I wouldn't do it too far in advance (do it within 3 months of your ILR application).  When they revised the test in April 2007 I am not sure what happens to those that had passed it before.  Also, as we all know, the requirements are ever changing and there have been lots of questions raised about fraud with the exam (people sitting in for other people) that you never know what the government would cook up next.  I remember saying a year ago "the government never would..." and Garry highlighted several examples of that.

Personally I never thought we would see the fundemental shifts they proposed in the consultation in March coming into force, but it looks like the Government is going to do what the Government is going to do.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:33:50 PM »
When they revised the test in April 2007 I am not sure what happens to those that had passed it before.

That is the point .... absolutely nothing happened! Those pass certificates remain valid until used.

Indeed if it ever was otherwise, can you imagine the outcry that would happen?

If the Government wants pass certificates to last only a certain time, it should legislate for that (but not do that retrospectively). Totally possible it could go down that path ... it has done so in other areas .... for example, a CoA ... Certificate of Approval to Marry .... is only valid for 3 months ... the couple need to go to the Register Office to give the Notice of Intention to Marry within 3 months, otherwise the CoA expires.
John

• Jewlz

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »
ok, well some differing opinions on this one... but what study materials do you all recommend?  just thought i might start looking it over now...
also, i know some people on this forum are having to wait ages to hear about their ILR applications -- what is the usual wait time?  am i supposed to send it off 3 months before the spousal visa expires? 
yes, i am an eager beaver!!! 

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:50:06 PM »
Get the official book.

I read & studied that, and some free practice/sample tests I found online somewhere.  That ought to do you for it.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Jewlz

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »
Get the official book.

I read & studied that, and some free practice/sample tests I found online somewhere.  That ought to do you for it.

muchas gracias, Mrs. R!!!   [smiley=Mr-T.gif]

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »
i know some people on this forum are having to wait ages to hear about their ILR applications -- what is the usual wait time?  am i supposed to send it off 3 months before the spousal visa expires?

Absolutely not! (Unless you have one of the new 27 month visas!) Do not submit the application earlier than 28 days before the 2nd anniversary of you first arriving in the UK using your spouse visa (if it was issued outside the UK), or if issued in the UK (for example, on converting from a fiancée visa) earlier than 28 days before the expiry date of the visa.

As you are an "eager beaver", if you have not already done so, download the form SET(M) ..... click here ..... and study its requirements, particularly about the evidence to be supplied with the application.
John

• Jewlz

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
ok, i remember seeing that now, that you shouldn't apply until 28 days before the spousal visa expires.  the application looks pretty straight-forward, but what is the home office reference number?  and i ordered those study guides as suggested... if the test pass doesn't expire, then i might just take it next year and get it out of the way... what do you think?  also, i know someone on this forum is in limbo waiting to hear from them about her app and it has been over 2 months since she sent it off!  i suppose you just stay here without a visa if your old one expires and you are waiting to hear about your new one?  do you get a temporary one or something? 

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
honestly, if you've only been here three months, the whole system might have changed by the time you qualify for ILR, depending on what happens with the impending immigration bill.  So I wouldn't bother looking at the actual forms or anything like that (other than keep collecting your post!) since things are always changing.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Jewlz

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »
yeah, i know.... i just think it will be sooo cool when i get to stay here forever.  i love it here!!!   [smiley=heart.gif]

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »
, i remember seeing that now, that you shouldn't apply until 28 days before the spousal visa expires.

We need to be careful these days, given spouse visas issued outside the UK, on or after 22 July 2008, should be for 27 months rather than 2 years.

It is safer to say that the ILR application can be made no earlier than 28 days before the 2nd anniversary of the first date of arrival using that spouse visa.

The point is that someone issued with a 27 month visa, who flies to the UK reasonably promptly, can apply for their ILR well before the last 28 days of validity of their visa.

And for someone with a 2 year visa, issued prior to 22 July 2008, the application should be made no earlier than 28 days before the 2nd anniversary of them first arriving .... not 28 days before the expiry date of the visa. Accordingly, if someone arrived say 10 days after the start of the 2 year visa, they have an 18 days "window of opportunity" to submit the ILR application, not 28 days.
John

• Jewlz

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
well, my visa was approved for 13 July 2008 and i arrived the following day.  looks like i just missed the 27 month visa... i didn't even know they were going to start offering one...
not that i could've waited any longer!

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »
looks like i just missed the 27 month visa... i didn't even know they were going to start offering one.

They gave little or no advance notice that they intended to make that change. But as you arrived the day after the start date on your visa, your 27 day "window of opportunity" to apply  for the ILR visa will clearly not be a problem.

Just don't go booking any holidays etc outside the UK in June, July or August 2010 ... until the ILR visa is safely in your passport!
John

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »
I agree with Vicky on this one...hold off until it's closer to the time. It may all change, the fees will probably change, and it's stressful enough when you do it! For reference though, I took my Life in the UK test in April 2008 and applied for my ILR in late July 2008. It's pretty easy if you study and yes it is great to get the ILR in your passport that "indefinitely" bit is wonderful to see  ;D
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab