Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Preserving/Canning...  (Read 25566 times)

• HollieAnne Photography
  • Liked: 0
Re: Preserving/Canning...
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
Under careful tutelage of my mother we have been canning and preserving our hearts out.  Mostly fruit and tomato based stuff.  I've invented tomatillo relish, preserves, and chutney to deal with the glut of tomatillos! (I just made salsa too.)  Now we have two bushels of apples

Can you help me!!??!  My grams gave me an awesome Apple Butter recipe to can- but I am having the hardest time finding all the supplies I need!  She said to use those rubber rings, and the old-fashion jars with the two part lids that sort of suck themselves shut tight as they finish cooling... (know the ones??)

Anyhow I told her I can't find the rubber rings anywhere- and i can only find the solid metal lids- and then the guy at the ironmonger shop tried to sell me these wax discs......... I bought them because he took AGES to try to explain how to use them to me so I felt compelled in the end!!!!  So- i tried to make the Apple Butter... The jam turned out wonderful---- but I am still praying no one gets sick from the caning!!! 

My gram told me that I need to do this whole 'hot water bath' thing... how do you guys can?!?  Have you used those wax discs?  Are they supposed to dissolve or melt into the jam?!!!?  ...please help....!
love is a many splendid thing...

• HollieAnne Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »
NEVER-MIND!  I am a nerd!!  I totally missed the post about this!!!  Oh dear!  BLOND moment!!
love is a many splendid thing...

• Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »
Glad you found it.... let us know if you need any further info!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
Thanks to all the brilliant info and help in this thread, I overcame my fear of sterilising and canning this weekend and made 5 1/2 beeeeeeautiful, golden pots of Apple Jelly/Preserves. The half is conveniently for us to devour, but the others are going out as Christmas gifts.

And I enjoyed it so much we walked over to What!!! (a warehouse-sized pound shop by Surrey Quays. The exclamation points are theirs!) and bought more jam jars so we can mix and match for gifts. They're doing really pretty ones right now, 6 or £2. So we bought three more sets. Now to find a metal jam funnel so I don't need to keep bugging the neighbour for hers...  ;)

Thank you UKY!!
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

Canning jars?
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 03:47:02 PM »
Okay, so it looks like we're going to have a bumper crop of tomatillos this year (as well as tomatoes), and I wanted to preserve some so I can have my green enchilada sauce in winter as well.  But you can't just go to the supermarket here and find Ball canning jars like I used to in the US.  Or can you, and I'm just being a thickie?  Or shopping in the wrong store?  Could someone point me in the right direction pretty please?   :-\\\\
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Canning jars?
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »
Lakeland sells them online (just put 'jars' in their search engine as they don't use 'canning'). I don't recall ever seeing them in the supermarkets there but there must be local places to get them, too.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Re: Canning jars?
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
Google Kilner jars too..

I can't find the old canning thread to sticky it too.

EDIT:  I've found it! 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 04:15:07 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »
I haven't seen canning jars like I used in the US.  They have the kind with the rubber gasket and the hinge, but not the ones that have the metal lid and metal ring.

All my in-laws don't boil their preserves, which I don;t understand, but then the US doesn't sterilize baby bottles, so maybe it is a trade off.

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 07:37:17 PM »
I haven't actually placed the order yet, but jamjars.com has a much wider range than the ones we got at Lakeland -- including some especially nice small jars. I want to give some jam as gifts, but only in small quantities as I am a greedy pig.

Right now, we're in a lull between loganberries and blackberries.

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:03 AM »
I finally found them on eBay.  They're listed as Kilner jars, but "updated" to be two-part metal tops with the ring.  Yay!! Not cheap though. 
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »
Got my order from jamjars.com. Excellent! Shipping is a bit dear (isn't it always?) but the jars were relatively cheap. Lots of cool shapes and they turned around my order in two days.

Mucho recommendo!

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
I am so glad I found this thread! My mother, back in the States, just started her annual summer canning fix and hearing her talk about it on the phone made me feel a little homesick. I had all these silly thoughts about, "I'll never be able to can again." <sob>

I am so glad to find out how wrong I was! Thanks so much for all this helpful information!
Met fiance:2005
Married: June 2009
Moved to Scotland: July 2009

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
Floating this thread to the top because it's CHUTNEY TIME, baby!

I've got a ragtag assemblage of leftover crap-from-the-garden: green tomatoes, chili peppers, apples, onions. I'm never going to find a recipe that exactly matches what I've got, so I've been trying to find a sort of universal chutney formula.

So far, my Google-fu has suggested a ratio of 3:1:1 or 4:1:2. That's fruit:vinegar:sugar. But I'm a novice preserver and I live in terror of giving my self a good dose of botulism. Also, some recipes call for sterilizing the final jars in a bath and some don't.

Any experienced chutnoids about?

I was never into chutneys in the States, but I've gotten terrifically addicted. Particularly since I discovered mixing chutney 50/50 with creamcheese as a dip. Ohhhhhhh.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 11:43:40 AM »
Anyone doing any canning for the holidays?  :)

I'm not, as I have never canned before, however, I am taking a keen interest.
I watched Nigella make her chili jam last night, which reminded me of jalapeno jelly, which is sooo good with cheese and crackers. Also, I started thinking of the possibilities of ordering some jalapenos from Devon to make my own fire-roasted salsa (this way I could make a lot and just preserve it for future use!) So, I've read through this thread, but I'm still a little confused, since I don't have any prior experience. Are there any beginner books to canning that anyone can recommend? Obviously, UK books would be better, since some equipment in the US books might be hard to find here. Thanks!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 01:04:52 PM »
I started thinking of the possibilities of ordering some jalapenos from Devon

Our Tesco had jalapenos last week! I don't know if they've always been there because I haven't looked before, but they're definitely there! And it's not a very big shop either - they're with the fresh herbs and come in bags of 3-4 peppers.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab