Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Newest Knee-Jerk Reaction towards Immigration Here in the UK.  (Read 7353 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: The Newest Knee-Jerk Reaction towards Immigration Here in the UK.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »
This really surprises me as a proposal. I would think, if this is a reaction to public anger, it would make more sense to DIScourage immigrants from seeking naturalization. After all, the government has more control over the lives of visa holders than citizens.

I was planning to naturalize (she says, staring way way off into the distant future and wincing at all the hurdles between here and there), but I can see how people would be flexed. And I don't get the point.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 07:09:58 PM »
I remember that when the proposal was first made public, Daily Mail readers seemed to be very opposed to it. They didn't like the idea of "those people" being allowed to vote. ;)

• Liked: 163
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 07:55:48 PM »
I remember that when the proposal was first made public, Daily Mail readers seemed to be very opposed to it. They didn't like the idea of "those people" being allowed to vote. ;)

Americans?  Australians?  Who?  I'm having such a hard time figuring out which immigrants Daily Mail readers would have a problem with.   ;D ;D ;D

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
Well, the problem is within the EU but they don't see that. Polish, Slovakian and Czech immigrants are the worst sort because they are the ones flooding in.

Inside the EU you can come in as you please, work and rake in benifits without applying to stay.

I don't have a problem with EU Citizens here but I do disagree with the allowance of benefits given to them almost immediately when other have to wait until they are Brit Citizens ....

Yes, damn those Poles, coming to our country and working hard and putting money into the economy...what a bloody cheek  >:(

but I have had that debate here already and it ends nasty! so be very careful  ;)

Indeed it does! But, on a serious note, anyone who uses the word 'flooding' in the context of immigration can only expect to feel my wrath.

Vicky

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 12:48:01 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on all these threads because in the end, the outcome will affect me. I honestly never gave much thought to moving to the UK and then becoming a citizen, but I guess I will now if this gets passed.

As a side-note on the Polish comments - This is one of the big reasons I don't like my last name and am worried I will run into problems.  I have a very Polish last name, but I'm not Polish. 
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Banned

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »
What problems?  Really, there is no hatred of Poles, just don't read The Daily Mail!

Vicky

• York Interweb
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 02:30:01 PM »
Most of the comments I have gotten about Poles are about what dedicated, hard-working people they are and that it's too bad that native-born Brits aren't like them.

Perhaps that is why so many Brits are worried about Poles taking their jobs  ;)

• Banned

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 02:47:22 PM »

Almost certainly!

;D

Vicky

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
What problems?  Really, there is no hatred of Poles, just don't read The Daily Mail!

Vicky

I've run into issues in the past while traveling in Germany over my last name.  You know how it goes.  Some people make assumptions based on people's names.  (and more OT, but I've even had problems with the parent's of my ex boyfriends!)
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Banned

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »
In my experience, and that of several friends (including an Irish mate living in Germany with his Polish girlfriend, and several of my Polish mates who live here) there is a lot more antagonism between Germans and Poles than between Brits and Poles.  Something to do with occupation and proximity.  A good indication of what *could* happen here ina  few years time, though I hope it gets nipped in the bud before that stage.

Vicky

• Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
Most of the comments I have gotten about Poles are about what dedicated, hard-working people they are and that it's too bad that native-born Brits aren't like them.

You want dedicated and hardworking? I worked for 16 sold years without taking a break -- and by that I mean NO vacation time whatsoever. I had to work hard, if I didn't there was no rent money and no food on the table. And I was paying taxes out the ass to Uncle Sam, getting nothing back for it, no NHS, nothing. I'm British and I'm clearly not afraid of hard work; I've worked all my damn life.

The situation with the Poles is that they are flooding into a system that already cannot cope with it's own indiginous population, using that system, then leaving. That's a problem and if they did it to YOUR country if your systems were already groaning at the seams, you'd be pissed off too.

edited by mod to remove unnecessary statement.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:50:22 PM by Mindy »
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• York Interweb
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 04:12:56 PM »
Everybody who is working in the UK legally pays taxes to the UK.

Everybody who is living in the UK legally pays council tax.

Poles are members of the EU and therefore the immigration rules are different for them than they are for Americans.

"The UK can't cope with it's own indigenous population?" - Really? In what way? Have you noticed crowds of people dying in the streets from malnutrition, lack of medical supplies or poor sanitation?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:17:15 PM by sweetpeach »

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
Yes, damn those Poles, coming to our country and working hard and putting money into the economy...what a bloody cheek  >:(

Most of the comments I have gotten about Poles are about what dedicated, hard-working people.

I agree that Poles are hardworking and dedicated...Trust me..I know that as gospel  ;)  But they are no more dedicated and hardworking than any nationality that are allowed to work here...Why is it fair that a Non British Citizen..who has entitlement to work here..either European or others on specific visas..Who are all contributing to the economy...why should certain workers recieve benefits and others don't?  I don't consider that fair at all.  Either give everyone with working entitlement availability to benefits after a few years here rather than some recieving immeadiatly and then sodding off back to their own country after having lots of maternity benefits or housing support or being able to rip off the system by claiming benefits for kids that are no longer in this country....believe me this happens quite a lot!! Some Euro nationalities..and not targeting just Poles...ship in their kids, their sisters kids, their brothers kids and so fourth...claim all the kids are theirs...local council has difficulty proving who is who and gives child benefits to them for each individual child...for the family to then ship back their non direct kids to their homes abroad but continue claiming for them?? I have encountered this quite a few times over the last few years...and THEY BRAG ABOUT IT!! which..being the mean spirited horror that I am...shops them in to benefit fraud!!...

Just an example... :)
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
Poles are members of the EU and therefore the immigration rules are different for them than they are for Americans.

But you work equally as hard them tho right ?? so why are you not allowed benefits until you have become a citizen??
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• York Interweb
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »
But you work equally as hard them tho right ?? so why are you not allowed benefits until you have become a citizen??

I'm not saying that it's right, just that those are the rules.

Actually, you are allowed benefits once you've got ILR; you don't have to be a citizen. You just can't vote or serve on a jury.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab