Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Coke in the UK?  (Read 731 times)

• Liked: 0
Coke in the UK?
« on: May 26, 2004, 05:52:51 PM »
This may seem like an odd question, but...does anyone know if Coca-cola in the UK is made with sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, like in the US?

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Coke in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 06:14:56 PM »
Cassandra, see:

http://www.talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3863.0

BTW, is it high fructose corn syrup in the US or just plain corn syrup? I think there may be a difference but not sure.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 11:53:17 PM »
D'oh!  You know, I swore that I'd seen that topic, but when I looked I couldn't find it.  Heh.  Is it possible to be a dumb blond if the blond is from a bottle?   ::)

Thanks for the link sweetie.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 03:12:19 AM »
* vnicepeeps saunters off to read a can of coke.....

It is high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose.  According to the can so there! 

There is quiet a large difference between high fructose corn syrup and regular corn syrup.

I think I brought it up in that link but I need to find it again.

There was an article in one of my dads magazines.

Our family for one is trying to avoid it like we do saturated fats and things like hydrogentated /trans fats. 

Dad is type II non-insulin dependant diabetic and apparently they are finding a link between high fructose corn syrup and the increase in TypeII.

I still think the best thing is just to eat less processed crap.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 04:23:56 AM »
In complete agreement about the processed food thing.  Half the labels I read on food look like chemistry experiments. I want ingredients I can pronounce!

As for Coke, I'm trying like hell to cut back, but I'm so addicted.  I want to get down to one can, first thing in the morning.  I'll never lose weight drinking cans of Coke all day.  It's just something about the combination of the caffiene and bubbles and Weird Sugar-Type product that makes my brain wake up and say "well hello world!!" 

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 07:12:32 PM »

I dug out something from foreign policy magazine, Spring 2000 which this thread reminded me of...

In an interview with Lori Wallach, Head of Public Citizens Global Trade Watch:

"Food safety regulations in the US have this benchmark of zero risk of cancer. Europe on the on the other hand, for who knows whatever historical reasons, [food regulation wise]worries about genetic birth defects."

"The United States allows food additives and colorings that are banned in Europe which could theoretically give you a three headed child, but have no risk of cancer. In Europe they are drinking Diet Coke that has a bunch of stuff which will give you, according to US regulations, a higher risk of cancer, but they don't care as much."

May be of interest to people in this thread?

Cheers
Scoobie

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab