Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Starting School @ age 5 - Year 1?  (Read 660 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Starting School @ age 5 - Year 1?
« on: May 26, 2004, 08:40:51 PM »
 ??? I just want to confirm something you guys --

My daughter is turning 5 on Sept 1.  I am being told she should start the 'year 1' class; not reception and would be the oldest in her class since the cutoff is Aug 31.  My other daughter who is 3 (going to be 4 in Dec) would be in reception.

I am a bit intimidated b/c they also explained that most kids in 'Year 1' are already reading.  We are coming over from the states where she has been in 2 years of preschool and was going to start kindergarten this fall.  She is very comfortable with letters; but I had not forced the reading issue b/c in the US most kids learn to read in kindergarten.

Just trying to confirm this ---- THANKS for any insite!!!

Re: Starting School @ age 5 - Year 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 08:50:29 PM »
Um.  No that sounds too young to me.  If she turns 5  Sept. 1, then I would think she'd be the oldest in reception.  And the three year old?  I've never heard of that-usually they start school at 4.    The school told you this?  Is this a private school?  Yikes. 

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Starting School @ age 5 - Year 1?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 02:54:34 AM »
It's not unusual...I started nursery at age 3 & was very happy with it.  I would have been 5 in the states but mom held me back (not needed but felt better about it...older better than youngest).  At 5, your daughter should be fine...she'll pick things up that she needs to.  Don't stress that she hasn't begun to read yet...it will be taught to her and if she knows her letters than she is doing fine for her age.

Sponsored Links