Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Credit Card Tip for US to UK movers.  (Read 6398 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Credit Card Tip for US to UK movers.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 01:06:02 AM »
Navie,
I think I would like to keep my AMX stateside and I don't see a problem with that.
I'm guessing your advice was for expatriats who are moving to the UK perminantly.
I would want to keep things simple and keep using my stateside cards in the UK.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
do you contact AMEX US or AMEX UK for this?

• Liked: 36
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »
Hi NYstacey

I called up Amex to speak about this some time back, I seem to recall that as you're in the US, you'd contact Amex over there to begin the process. Once you get yourself settled here which probably means once you have an address, they'll 'transfer' the account over to Amex UK. By doing this, it keeps your history with them intact, and they'll then submit the monthly 'report' on you to the various credit agencies here.

Amex allow this between the various countries it operates in, so not just limited to US to UK. I asked about my card, and it can be done UK to US, UK to Canada. I didn't ask about other countries.

As per Jim's preference, you can of course still continue to use your US cards here in the UK, but I think if you are living here permanently, you'd be in breach of your T&C's with the credit card company - might be worth looking into that small print though.

I rang up MBNA as well, I can't remember exactly what they said, i seem to recall they said they wouldn't transfer the account as such, but would allow me to open an account there and show I've shut my UK one down .. I think....

Hope this helps ! Cheers! DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
Thank DtM...
great, I appreciate it!

Except that I am now in the UK...  and having a fun but painful first week as we had to visit the dentist due to a toothache, and more to come...  but anyways...
so I guess I have to call Amex US..  I called Amex UK and they just told me to open an account...  no 'transferring' talk stuff, as they likely don't care much... but I'll try from the US side now...

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »
well I called the US and they just told me to call the UK and apply with them.. no transfering or similar schemes  :(

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 04:26:39 PM »
Thank DtM...
great, I appreciate it!

Except that I am now in the UK...  and having a fun but painful first week as we had to visit the dentist due to a toothache, and more to come...  but anyways...
so I guess I have to call Amex US..  I called Amex UK and they just told me to open an account...  no 'transferring' talk stuff, as they likely don't care much... but I'll try from the US side now...
If I remember correctly one of our members(UKY) works for AMX-UK in Brighton, England and she might give you some good advice.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 01:27:16 PM »
I have been a grateful and loyal AmEx'er ever since. I use the card for everything (though I believe it's not accepted in as many places in the UK).

It isn't.  A lot of places do accept AmEx, but there are many which take only Visa & MasterCard.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I presume American Express has entered into deals with other banks recently to issue cards.   I already had a MasterCard with Lloyds-TSB, but a year or so ago they issued me with a Lloyds-TSB American Express card as well, which charges to the same credit account.

I didn't realise. £700 is quite low.

I know that many of the banks issuing MasterCard and Visa still start with a credit limit of £500.  It's not that long ago they would issue cards with a £250 limit to new customers, although that tended to be bumped up to £500 within 6 months so long as the account was in order.  (Maybe some still start that low - Not sure.)
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »

Im the worst with following my own topics lol my apologies.

You would apply for the US card as per usual via www.americanexpress.com.

Once approved, you would then build you credit until it was time to move countries.

Then, you would go to www.americanexpress.com/globaltransfers and follow the instructions for the country you select. Some transfers you can do online, others require calling. 

This will transfer your amex product to a similar amex uk product, the benefit being you retain internal credit scoring, credit limit, and  a history with a credit company which will help to begin establishing credit in the uk.

I hope that helps.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
Navie,

Is there a minimum timeframe you have to have had your US AMEX open? 

I happened to open an AMEX about a month ago.  I've put almost $1000 of charges on it and will be paying it in full.

At the time I move (July), I will have only had the card for 2 months, so I won't have too much history with it.

Can I still apply for the global transfer?  I thought I read a post where someone had to have their AMEX for 6 months before it would transfer.

Thanks!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »
As per Jim's preference, you can of course still continue to use your US cards here in the UK, but I think if you are living here permanently, you'd be in breach of your T&C's with the credit card company - might be worth looking into that small print though.

I know I'm replying very late, but I just noticed the above in Dennis' post.

I have US Visa cards and a US Mastercard that I've used in the UK, and I live here permanently. They know my UK address and send me statements here.  It just becoms quite expensive with the foreign transaction fees, and you will probably want to eventually get credit  in the UK for other reasons.

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
YaY!
I finally got my AMEX Credit Card, so thanks Navie and all for the tips!!! ...especially since I had been declined on a couple other cc apps including from my bank..

I only 'finally' got it, because they had asked for a copy of my passport/visa and bank acct I think... a certified copy... so I didnt want to go pay somewhere to get these copies...
eventually/later I was able to get an authenticated/verifed copy from my HR contact, who was also helping me with some paperwork for opening another bank account...

so even though my app was like a few months old, they still accepted it :)  and they gave me a pretty hefty credit limit not just a few hundred, so they did take into account the US' credit history....  now I only hope american express is accepted in enough places around...
I went to pay my first bill and they didnt accept amex unfortunately, so maybe next chance...
good luck all!!!

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »
American X has an annual fee?
Exchange student visa 08/02 | Bunac visa 05/03 | Student visa 08/03 | Work visa 07/07  |  Married Stateside 27/09/09 | Spousal visa 04/11/09 | Returned to UK 5/12/09 | Settlement Visa (ILR) via post 05/12 | British Citizenship Checking Appointment 13/06/13 | Payment/Process notification 18/06/13 | British Citizenship approved 28/06/13 | Ceremony 21/08/2013 BRITISH CITIZEN!

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
American X has an annual fee?

Some US and UK cards do.  Like the gold and platinum cards.  My UK cash back card does not.

By the way, I'm originally from Harrisburg. 

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 08:50:23 PM »
I found all the cards to have one, but that might be the big change at the moment. So if someone like me would apply and then be moving in a month would they switch it over?

oh nice thats where I am from  :) go steelton
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:52:49 PM by ColleenfromPA »
Exchange student visa 08/02 | Bunac visa 05/03 | Student visa 08/03 | Work visa 07/07  |  Married Stateside 27/09/09 | Spousal visa 04/11/09 | Returned to UK 5/12/09 | Settlement Visa (ILR) via post 05/12 | British Citizenship Checking Appointment 13/06/13 | Payment/Process notification 18/06/13 | British Citizenship approved 28/06/13 | Ceremony 21/08/2013 BRITISH CITIZEN!

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 09:05:16 PM »
I found all the cards to have one, but that might be the big change at the moment. So if someone like me would apply and then be moving in a month would they switch it over?

oh nice thats where I am from  :) go steelton

Not all the cards have them.  My Blue in the US and my cashback in the UK don't. 

I'm from the West Shore. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab