Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Resentful for being the one who made the HUGE sacrifice  (Read 34820 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Resentful for being the one who made the HUGE sacrifice
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 07:04:58 AM »
NYC Pizza is good..  I would imagine it "tastes" better in Italy.. even if it doesnt...

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2011, 03:39:22 AM »
I didn't read all the responses but I am 42, established in my career here in the US and owned a home. I sold the house last year and have to admit I am nervous about the move from a financial standpoint because I am not sure what I'll do for a job there. I work in Law Enforcement here.

I think where I get "stuck" if you will is that my life has had huge changes in the past year and the boyfriend's life has gone on as usual, so sometimes I feel resentment about that.

June 1989: 1st time we met.
June 2009: Reconnected... yes on FaceBook.
Jan 2010: he invited me to the UK by saying "get your ars* on a plane!"
May 2010: I arrive in UK for visit.
April 2011: ask him to marry me.
May 18 2

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »
I didn't read all the responses but I am 42, established in my career here in the US and owned a home. I sold the house last year and have to admit I am nervous about the move from a financial standpoint because I am not sure what I'll do for a job there. I work in Law Enforcement here.

I think where I get "stuck" if you will is that my life has had huge changes in the past year and the boyfriend's life has gone on as usual, so sometimes I feel resentment about that.

It's hard to make serious changes, it is such a risk. But if you never try, you'll never know. Better to regret the things you have done than the things you haven't. You know, all those old cliches. They really are true, though, for the most part. I took the risks and I'm so very glad I did. 3 years with the best guy in the world, and I haven't looked back. Good luck to you!

• My other Man
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2011, 01:01:19 AM »
kind of thread jacking here, but i had to chime in regarding the pizza comments. The BEST and supposed birthplace of pizza comes from Naples. That's where you need to go if you want "real" italian pizza!!! I had pizza up north italy and they put wurstel and egg and all sorts of different things that my hubs laughed at and said, "that's not italian". LOL. dont stray from the margarita! simple, fresh ingredients and baked in 5 mins in a wood burning oven! YUMMMMSSS!!!!

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2012, 12:34:07 AM »
I agree that the pizza in Naples is phenomenal...coffins or no coffins! Ooh and the lasagna in Pisa was amazing! Sorry for the thread jack too.
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

• Matthew's two favourite things - chocolate & !!
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
Don't care how they cook it - pizza in Naples is something I still dream about.  Nothing has ever lived up to it since.

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:31 AM »
So I (US hubby in UK) and new wife did the LDR thing for a while.  We battled over who would move (I lost).  I've been here 4 years now, and still can't adjust to the inferior standard of living, the fact I'm so far away from family, and that she doesn't treat me like a King because I made the sacrifice.

I know I shouldn't be resentful but I am...  Can anyone relate?

No, I can't. I'm an American man engaged to an English lady, and I CAN'T WAIT til the day comes that I get to move over and live my life with her there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:16:04 PM by vnicepeeps »
Just waiting on our day to come

• Liked: 4
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:28 AM »
You've replied to a post that is six years old.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
Sometimes a reply takes a while to germinate. I am always thinking up good come-backs the next day.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Sometimes a reply takes a while to germinate. I am always thinking up good come-backs the next day.
You do make me laugh sonofasailor!   :)
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Liked: 2
Re: Re: Re: Resentful for being the one who made the HUGE sacrifice
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
Hahaha :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Liked: 19
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
I literally sold or gave away everything in my house with a few minor exceptions that fit into 5 suitcases for myself and my son. I moved the the U.K. To be with my husband who I can not see living without. He is my world and my rock. I moved here when I was 47 years old and have not regretted a moment of the choices I made.
About a year after I moved my husband was diagnosed with heart failure and COPD and needs to be helped out daily and I still know I made the right choice with no regrets. I get to spend every day with the person who means the world to me and I do not resent the fact that I was the one to give up life in the US.
Remember that you have made a choice to be here no one has forced you and if you are truly that unhappy with the choice speak with your wife and see if moving to the US is something you can do together. Otherwise things can only get worse and your resentment will harm the relationship you have.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
I'm sorry that you're feeling that way.  It's a big move, and I imagine you feel the loss of many familiar things.  And I'm sorry that you don't appear to be getting the support you're looking for on the forum.  It's a difficult change.  No matter how much you prepare, things may not be as easy as you'd hope.  I don't have any advice to offer other than trying to calmly convey your anxiety about the move with your spouse and work it out.  Everyone handles change differently.  I wish you the best of luck!

• Liked: 10
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »
Guys this post is like 10 years old :(

Sponsored Links