Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: [Merged]: Current Film Recommendations/Movie recommend  (Read 42612 times)

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
[Merged]: Current Film Recommendations/Movie recommend
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »
So I am looking at going to the Cinema tonight as its the Wednesday special £3 per person..and I have a few films to choose from.  I have not got a clue at what to see. I have a choice of Mirrors, The Boy in The Stripe Pyjamas and How to loose friends and alienate people..

??? ??? ???

Anybody seen any of these films and what was your opinion?

I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

Re: [Merged]: Current Film Recommendations/Movie recommend
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »
I'd go for How to lose friends...only because I like Simon Pegg's work and I've never heard of any of the others.

• *swelch2
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
My husband is dying to go see the new Coen brothers film...Burn After Reading...Doesn't seem so bad!  haha 
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.
-Hafiz

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas will be depressing.  The book was really good, but the Holocaust never makes for a fun night out.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
I'd go for the Simon Pegg film
 ;D

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
I saw How to Lose Friends... last week - it was pretty funny. Perhaps not the best storyline ever, but Simon Pegg made for quite a few funny bits :).

I'm also hoping to go and see Burn After Reading because I've seen some good reviews of it floating around. I've heard that Mirrors is not really worth seeing, although The Boy in the Stripe Pyjamas is supposed to be fairly good, I think.

• Because he's a surfer and i'm a scot!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »
I really want to see How lose friends....I read the book and loved it.  I'm also quite keen on Burn after Reading, but I'm desperate to see Mamma Mia but think I'll have to wait until it's on DVD or Sky since the DH is adamant he will not go with me  :(

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
We're seeing Burn After Reading in the next few days as part of our anniversary celebration. We wanted to see a film and go to dinner tomorrow night (our actual anniversary) but MIL isn't comfortable having both boys that long - which came as a bit of a surprise. Oh well. So we'll see it probably Friday matinee or Saturday evening.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
We saw "Burn After Reading" this weekend.  I enjoyed it.  But then I like the Coen Brothers' comedies.  "Raising Arizona" is one of my favorite movies.  If you like that, I think you will like "Burn."
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

• Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
I saw Slumdog Millionaire at the weekend and it was excellent. Best romance i've seen in a long time (not the romcom crap being churned out like Bride Wars and Shopping girl films that I had to sit thru trailers for..)

It's a bit harrowing in parts, but the ending is just lovely. :)
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »
We saw Tom Cruise in "Valkyrie". DW, liked it. Me, narrrrrr.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »
We saw Tom Cruise in "Valkyrie". DW, liked it. Me, narrrrrr.

I think the story is interesting, and I like the casting with the exception of Tom, can't abide him.  Won't pay to see any of his movies.  I dread the upcoming PR Blitzkrieg he has planned to market the movie over here.
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
I think the story is interesting, and I like the casting with the exception of Tom, can't abide him.  Won't pay to see any of his movies.  I dread the upcoming PR Blitzkrieg he has planned to market the movie over here.

Same here.  I also won't pay to see Mel Gibson in a film.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
I watched 'happy go lucky', and for some reason I thought it was stunningly good.

A cameo by a homeless man (irish accent?) along with a demented driving instructor deserve academy awards.

The film starts out to be a silly girlie movie, then becomes absorbing.  I would see it twice just for Irish guy.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »
Saw "Slumdog Millionaire" on Saturday night and thought it was really good, I definitely recommend it.

I'd really like to see "Milk" as well, I heard a lot of good things about it when I was back in America over the holidays.  I think it's due out Jan 23.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab