Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Darkness  (Read 6724 times)

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
  • Liked: 0
Re: Darkness
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
DH agrees about the summer, that it makes them longer, but this past summer wasn't really nice so I didn't get to enjoy that really. :( boo Lissa is right, it's only fair to have better summers to enjoy it !

DH and I talked about the alarm clock/SAD light box and we'll get it :) He's going to research the best one for the best price, that's one of the things he does best lol. Took him AAAAGESSS to buy a new computer... ::)

I really enjoy reading your comments and symphaties, thank you :) I am just hoping to adjust to it sooner rather than later..My body clock is all messed up, and I fell like it's a day ahead of what the actual day of the week is!! (and the pup needing to go out at 3am  :o then acting like a psycho doesn't help!!! lol [smiley=freak.gif])

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:13 PM »

4) If all that fails, I'll always have alcohol!

Indeed!

I like to think of the bonuses of the long winter evenings...the main one being cosying up to a pint of ale or a mulled wine in a nice warm pub with a roaring fire....

Vicky

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »
It all seems to come down to the brew...lol :D Good Ol' England! lol

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »
Something I have noticed recently is that there seem to be fewer people out when I'm on the way home from work.

I'm not working any later than I usually do.

Do people actually leave work earlier when it starts to get darker earlier?

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 07:23:04 PM »
Could it be due to half term?  Many working parents take time off in late October when their kids are off school for the autumn half term.  A lot of people at my workplace are off work this week on holiday.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 07:53:47 PM »
This argument rages every year, but I think there is no choice.  It has to be better to have early nights than for it to be dark until 8 in the morning...now that *is* depressing!

Every so often we hear calls to shift British time forward an hour, i.e. GMT+1 in winter, GMT+2 in summer.   This scheme was used during the war, and was tried again as an experiment from 1968 through 1971.  The overwhelming response was negative, due to darkness extending so late into the morning in winter, especially in Scotland.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:55:59 PM by Paul_1966 »
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 08:51:01 PM »
Another slightly off topic... I wonder why some States don't do Daylight Saving Time (Arizona, Indiana, Hawaii)?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »
Another slightly off topic... I wonder why some States don't do Daylight Saving Time (Arizona, Indiana, Hawaii)?

As just noted here, parts of Indiana do observe daylight saving while others don't.

Indiana time has a very complex history!

http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »
That's interesting Paul. Well it's nice to know they tried. I can understand it being dark in the morning would make it even harder to wake up and get going!

I have noticed less people, but it is because of half term by me. Less students, and parents. They'll be back soon enough! lol

• Liked: 2
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »

As just noted here, parts of Indiana do observe daylight saving while others don't.

Indiana time has a very complex history!

http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html

The Governor only recently started within the past few years has done Daylight savings time. My mom said it was something to do with 1 of the races I think it was the Indy 500 the time table would have been messed up if Indiana didn't start doing Daylight Savings Time if I remember right. When I lived in Indiana we didn't use Daylight Savings Time in July 04 that I remember.   ;)  ;D

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 06:00:13 AM »
Personally, I kind of like the nights closing in early. I'll admit that by the end of the winter, I'm over it and ready for some sunshine. But for now, I love that cosy, nesting feeling it brings out in me.

Agreed!

To the OP, is this your first winter in the UK?
If so, just give it a few weeks, till the lead-up to Christmas starts!   When the high streets and shops are all decorated, it looks much better and maybe you'll find the darkness easier to cope with.

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »
Yes first winter here. I was here over last Christmas, and couldn't believe how dark it was all day. The weather wasn't that good either, and didn't help.

I'm slowly just trying to accept it, not think about it etc. That's how I've been getting on here, just acceptance of what is and that this is the way things are and I can't change it. That's kinda my attitude living here, that this isn't the US, a different country and culture that has it's own ways of doing things etc. I just try to get on with life ya know?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab