Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rant- Public and Private Sectors  (Read 2442 times)

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
  • Liked: 0
Rant- Public and Private Sectors
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »
As much as I hate to type it, DH was right.  I work for the NHS, and it's a shambles. I'm starting my third month working here, after accepting the position the end of July and I STILL do NOT have a contract!!

DH has gone on and on about how it should be done no later than your first day...Not sure what the legalities are but DH is pissy about it. I would feel more secure if I had my contract, and could see everything laid out in black and white.  Apparently it has been completed, yea, sure, but they will resend it. Hopefully I will have it in hand soon.

Also there is problems with my pay. I recieved pay for my first month. After inquiry, since it was short I was told the last week would be paid in arrears in the next month. So this month I was paid and it was the same amount as last month. If you took what they're paying me it's over 2 grand less than I should be paid! Then I'm told they have me in the right bracket, the right pay, but I can't check taxes or anything because I don't have any pay slips!!! Even after confirming my address twice it was sent to the wrong place. So I can't do anything with out seeing my contract and payslips to see what's going on. Even if I was paying too much in taxes it wouldn't be over 2,000! That seems rediculous.

So yea...I can't do much, but I'm pissy. HR must love me lol.

I forgot to add that DH always goes on how this wouldn't happen in Private, and all his jobs have always had the contract like 2 months before he started with a nice welcome pack and everything laid out. I had an induction but learned how to wash my hands... Not to knock them all but I couldn't ever see this happening with another company, esp a private one.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:31:07 PM by Stephx86 »

Re: Rant- Public and Private Sectors
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »
aww, Steph.  I'll PM you my adventures with HR in the NHS :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »
Adventures...that's being Kind I'm sure lol PM away :)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
Private sector can be a total shambles too, trust me!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
You don't have to have a contract at all, but you must have your terms and conditions (pay, holiday, hours, grade) set out in a letter. If you have neither, this is a clear breach of employment law.

To have no pay slips either...that's just terrible.

Vicky

(edited for typos)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:37:27 PM by VictoriaS »

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
While it all sucks, I'd say its better there than in the private sector now, esp in this economical climate.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »
I'm in my sixth month of working for the local council (full-time, permanent) and still no sign of a contract here, either. :P  But they ARE paying me on time, and the right amount (right tax bracket, etc)...so thank goodness for small favours.  ::)

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »
Wow, a job with pay...I'd love to have that problem. Sorry to hijack, but I have 9 applications pending with Derby PCT, and so far been rejected on 2 with 'you're just not what we're looking for'. Oh well. I'll just keep banging my head against the door till they open it somewhere.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 05:46:02 PM »
I forgot to add that DH always goes on how this wouldn't happen in Private, and all his jobs have always had the contract like 2 months before he started with a nice welcome pack and everything laid out. I had an induction but learned how to wash my hands... Not to knock them all but I couldn't ever see this happening with another company, esp a private one.

Nah.. I have clients (big corporates) who refuse to even send out an offer letter until the offer is fully 'approved' by headquarters which has often taken up to 4-6 weeks AFTER the candidate has started working!  I'm a recruiter by the way:-) 
I feel your pain definitely but I've seen it happen in private loads of times so sadly, it's everywhere.  A lot of companies out there just need to get the acts together.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »
Does public sector mean a defined benefit pension and pay rises in line with inflation?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »
Theoretically, but it doesn't always work that way.

Vicky

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 09:32:14 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I do have a letter with pay outlined, in fact I have to go into the folder to pull it out and verify my salary. Thanks for reminding me Vicky.

Well, at least I don't feel like I'm alone in it. Not so good to hear that it happens often though. It's nice to be able to tell the hubby to chill out that it happens a lot no matter public or private! lol (he's always had not so good experiences with private, ie slow, etc)

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the position, enjoy my work, and am happy there. Just kind of annoying that nothing has been done, let alone done right :)

I'm going to  be patient until Wednesday and see what happens.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab