Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Scrapping ILR next year?  (Read 1945 times)

Re: Scrapping ILR next year?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
She had ILR.  They could not deport her for stalking.  They went back to check her background and found a misrepresentation in her application.  I have it in mind that they did it with the *intent* of finding something, otherwise they would not have checked.  I condemned it on Transpondia as a 'malicious fishing trip'.

But it turns out if they have the intent to stuff somebody, or if they don't have the intent, it doesn't matter to the magistrate.  It just matters that they found something.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
My apologies.  From the wording in the news story, I assumed she was an overstayer.

Though, couldn't they have done the same thing if she had citizenship? 

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »
Let's hope he never commits a criminal offence .... and gets deported!

Even if you're a citizen that naturalized, can't they withdraw your citizenship and deport you? Didn't they do that to that extremist Muslim cleric? The one they sent to Lebanon?

Well, my friend's husband is American, like myself, so he can hold dual nationality, I think he just doesn't like the idea of swearing allegiance to the Monarchy at the ceremony. He said he'll feel less American if he does take up British citizenship.

I know the Queen doesn't have any real power. And that you all just keep the Monarchy around for traditional and tourism purposes.

Personally, I'll jump at the chance of British citizenship. If you have American citizenship, and British (E.U.) citizenship. The world is your oyster I think. Unfortunately, I have to wait awhile because I'm here on EEA rules.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:07:54 AM by JuniorMint »
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »

I know the Queen doesn't have any real power. And that you all just keep the Monarchy around for traditional and tourism purposes.

Not really true, but I see his point.

But Yael, yes, if the stalker had naturalised and they found misrepresentation in a previous application then they could have this removed.  I don't think citizenship can be removed because someone commits a criminal offence, no.

Vicky

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »
I'm still feeling distressed at the rules changing yet again. At least with ILR I felt that I had a good understanding of the process and timeline. Now it's all up in the air again.

How I would love _stability_ in the rules we play by. I am weary of the goal posts changing, 3 times in 3 years. (In 2007 (maybe '06?) requiring 5 instead of 4 years to apply for ILR, in 2008 changing the visa categories, and now in 2009 dropping ILR and adding goodness-knows what rules.)

The idea of having a set of rules and knowing they wouldn't change mid-stream seems like bliss. Is there any chance of grandfathering things so we aren't faced with a new set of rules every year with no end in sight?

• Banned

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »
As Garry has said, it looks unlikely to be in the plans, but as I have said, nothign is written in stone.

Perhaps the advocacy team would like to pick a strong issue, such as grandfathering, and lobby on this to the committee?

Vicky

• My blog!
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
Vicky, I am all about helping taking up the grandfathering once we know what the situation is... Otherwise we are just fighting ghosts and stuff that hasn't been published.  I know garry says it is out, but all the "official" stuff I have seen doesn't address it.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Banned

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »
Yes, I agree...lets just see what happens.

Vicky

• Liked: 30
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »
Well, since my visa category [Retired persons of independent means] is supposedly going away in the new proposals, this talk of no grandfathering is making me nervous.  And I was already anxious enough about the American elections tomorrow!   :)

So please, let's just wait and see what gets published today on the Path to Citizenship and not just speculate ...

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »
Is there a month or date known of next year, when the ILR may be scraped if its going to be or any thing more on what the outcome may be?
ying

• Banned

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »
NO!!!  Once again, for the millionth time, this isn't even in legislation yet!

We aren't sure yet. 

but as I have said, nothign is written in stone.

Vicky

• My blog!
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
Is there a month or date known of next year, when the ILR may be scraped if its going to be or any thing more on what the outcome may be?
ying

Well, Vicky was more direct then I was going to be, but No is still the answer.  We are waiting to even see how some of this will be introduced.  UKBA has their plans, but every advocacy group is waiting with baited breath to start challenging aspects of it as soon as they tip their hands.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »
What is this 2 year citizenship thing anyway? Does anyone have the details or the link? I have ILR, and we simply don't have the money to get the citizenship sorted right now. (Isn't it quite expensive?) And neither does my adult daughter, who is also here on ILR. I thought with ILR we were all set and could proceed with citizenship in a few years when we had the money to do it, no rush. Now it sounds as if they're looking at pulling the rug out from under us yet again.  >:( I realise you say it's not gone to legislation yet, but if they're considering it, I need to find out what info I can, as obviously when they're ready to push things through, they do so with little or no grace periods.

• My blog!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »
The latest, I am afraid, is what was proposed in the consultation back in May.  Garry has stated time and time again that things have moved on from that, and moved back again and all around.  Vicky says "WAIT!", which I have to agree with her on.  They have been studying the impact of the fees at the same time, which may radically change the fees we pay.

The consultation gave no indiciation of how grandfathering would be handled.

But if you are curious... here is the consultation back in May: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/aboutus/consultations/closedconsultations/pathtocitizenship/
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
Thanks for that. Of course, one of my main concerns is what astronomical fee they will decide to inflict on us next - I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab