Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Book Recommendation  (Read 800 times)

• Liked: 1
Book Recommendation
« on: May 29, 2004, 03:45:37 PM »
I am putting this here because it has more to do with pregnancy and giving birth in the UK than just some nice novel you should read.  I just happened to pick this up at the library and it's an easy read.  Would be great for a plane ride.   It's by Dennis Leary's wife and it tells her tale of going into premature labor and giving birth under the care of the NHS.  They were only supposed to be there for a short time and wound up spending over 5 months in London.

It is just a great book for all moms and future moms to read. 

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 09:38:04 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Book Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 03:47:31 PM »
Ooh, i want it! It's on my amazon list now. Thanks for the suggestion.  :-*
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 03:50:36 PM »
A friend just told me about that book last week!  I will be buying it as soon as I get back!!!  Looks great!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 04:32:17 PM »
I saw an article about this, I think in last week's People, and immediately tolf Stephen, "Oh I have to get this!"

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 04:34:21 PM »
I read an article she wrote about her expereinces in the Guardian a few weeks back, scared me half to death!

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 06:02:10 PM »
I've just read it.  It's really good and goes into alot of the differences between the US and UK system.  I'd highly reccomend it. 

edited to add that it's UK title is 'The Long Weekend'.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 05:13:06 PM by Mindy »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 09:38:33 PM »
Yep it just made me feel better somehow about giving birth there; well giving birth period. 
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 05:17:33 PM »
I read an article she wrote about her expereinces in the Guardian a few weeks back, scared me half to death!

Oh no, Britwife, you are definately not allowed to read this book.  You're also not allowed to read any articles about babies snatched from hospitals, babies switched at birth, or babies born with two heads.  Furthermore, you are not allowed to watch 'Total Recall', any 'X-Men' movie, or any  movies containing 'mutants'.  But most importantly, under no circumstance are you to watch 'Jack and Sarah'.   ;)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 07:33:41 PM »
Yes Mum!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab