Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EEA2/Family Permit Fun  (Read 774 times)

• Liked: 0
EEA2/Family Permit Fun
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:14:13 PM »
Hi,

My lovely partner (Czech) and I (American) are currently living together in the UK. This week, he's going to upgrade his worker permit to EEA1. I'm here on a student visa which expires at the end of January. I finished my master's and am now working whilst waiting for the results (as allowed by the student visa).

We're getting married this Christmas in Prague and are now battling to understand both countries' various laws.

Basically, my concern is about getting back into the UK and getting all the relevant paperwork sorted here. We'd like to stay in the UK for a few more years, so I'll be applying for the EEA2.

Question: Do I need to apply for a family permit before entering the UK at the beginning of January, or will I be OK entering on my student visa? (We'll only be married 2.5 weeks before coming back and I doubt we'd get the family permit in time as the Prague UK Embassy says it takes '10-15 working days').

*I will be sending in the application for the EEA2 as soon as we get back, as my work wants to see confirmation that I'll still be legal to work after my student visa runs out.

We, of course, want to be as legal and stress-free as possible...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: EEA2/Family Permit Fun
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:27:53 PM »
As long as the student visa is still valid, and you are still studying, then you can enter on this and then apply for the EEA2.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:42:18 PM »
Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the reply.

My concern is that they will most likely ask what my plans are after the visa runs out--will they be OK if I say I'm planning on applying for the EEA2? From what I understood from the Home Office's website ( newcomer link: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/rightsandresponsibilites/ [nonactive] ), their preferred method for non-EU, non-visa nationals is to apply for the family permit.

Many thanks!

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
They can ask all they like - as long as you are still studying they can't legally refuse entry.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:56:34 PM »
Ah, that might be the tricky bit. I've handed in my dissertation (as I said above, I'm just waiting for the results). The graduation ceremony is after we get back in January, though I suppose that doesn't quite count as still studying....

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:06:53 AM »
Ah, no.  You'd therefore be making a false declaration if you tried to come back on a student visa.  You'd best apply for the family permit.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 03:31:18 PM »

Question: Do I need to apply for a family permit before entering the UK at the beginning of January, or will I be OK entering on my student visa? (We'll only be married 2.5 weeks before coming back and I doubt we'd get the family permit in time as the Prague UK Embassy says it takes '10-15 working days').

I can't comment on the Prague Embassy, but I just got my EEA FP in Paris last week.  They said on the website and told me in person "minimum 10 working days, mabe 20, maybe 25".

It took three days, basically the time for Worldbridge to send the info to the consulate and get it back. 

But that was Paris.  I would try and get it I were you.  You could always change your travel plans if there is some long delay. 
Met - February 2002
Long story, Feb 2002 till April 2008
Engaged - April 2008
Submitted online application- Bastille Day, 2008
Biometric appointment - July 18, 2008
FH sent me his docs via DHL - July 18, 2008
Sent supporting information - July 21
Supporting information arrived - July 22
Received first email from consulate - July 31
Visa Issued!!!! August 4
Arrived in Cambridge, August 9
Married in France, October 17
Applied for EEA FP, October 20th
EEA FP granted October 21st

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »
That is good news! Thanks for the advice! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab