Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: chronic health issue and ILR  (Read 653 times)

• Liked: 0
chronic health issue and ILR
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:54:09 AM »
Hi everyone! It's been some time since we, Marlowe and me, moved back to FL. He passed away last July and I delivered his ashes to his half sister. I'm still healing but I've reached a point where I'd like to begin the process of my return to London. It's been tough, no question, but the one who suffered most was Marlowe. He had to bury his sister and his mother last year then spend his final days at home in a hospice bed until the cancer took him from me.
It's not my intent to pull anyone's heart strings. I'm writing to this site because you all have been an excellent resouce of information and guidence.
As I stated earlier, I'd like to return to London. But there are some issues I could use your help with.
If someone with a work visa is looking for 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' status after the visa runs out, will a chronic illness for which you take daily medication prevent you from obtaining the ILR?  Does immigration get full access to NHS records? 
I'm 45 now and sure don't fancy the idea of having to return to the states and start all over again as a nurse at 50 because the UK has rejected me. 

• Liked: 2
Re: chronic health issue and ILR
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:04:34 AM »
My heart goes out to you. Mortality is hateful. The more I see it up close, the less I like it.

I'm sorry I don't have any information about your situation. I'm sure somebody here will.

Just wanted to chime in with moral support. Starting over at 50 is no fun no matter where you do it (as I'm about to find out). But at least nursing is about the most 'portable' profession you could have. Good luck!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:30:47 PM »
There is no restirction on ILR for people who come to the UK with chronic illnesses, so this will not be a problem.

What could be a problem are the changes to the work permit scheme since you were last here.  I do hope you are still eligible!

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »
In addition to what Vicky said, how long have you been out of the UK?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »
We lived in London in '06 and returned to The States Jan. '07.  My contacts in London tell me that visas have become scarce for nurses, if not impossible, but are still being issued for the higher bands.  My backround is ITU/Theatre/Managment/Administration soooooo there is hope. 
Thank you so much for the kinds words, Marlowe was a soul mate and a best friend.
Feels good to be back though.
Cheers!

Sponsored Links