Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm confused. Conflicting student visa reqs  (Read 569 times)

• Liked: 1
I'm confused. Conflicting student visa reqs
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
As per this site, under the requirements to meet to be a student in the UK, there are seeming conflicting regulations.

In one part it says:
viii) is able to meet the costs of his course and accommodation and the maintenance of himself and any dependants without taking employment or engaging in business or having recourse to public funds

and it also says:
vii) does not intend to engage in business or to take employment, except part-time or vacation work undertaken with the consent of the Secretary of State;

So, *can* I work up to 20 hr/wk on this kind of visa or not? I *think* I'm understanding that I have to be able to pay tuition and support myself (btw, is there a specific number in savings they are looking for like with Tier 1 or 2?) but that I'd be allowed to earn some pocket money on the side?

Also, would this mean I could theoretically work PT as a teacher or sub teacher while going to school as long as I don't go over 20 hrs?

Thanks. I know my questions seem endless. I'm just really confused and want to make sure I am planning correctly from the start! :)
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 3595
Re: I'm confused. Conflicting student visa reqs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »
You are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week while on a student visa. However, in order to be issued a student visa, you have to show you can support yourself fully (fees and living costs) without having to work.

International tuition is around £10,000-£15,000 per year (depending on course and university) and living costs are estimated at between £7,000 and £10,000 per person per year (depending on city - London, for example would be at the higher end of both figures), so you would need to prove to the consulate that you had at least £17,000 per year or so available to you before you enter the UK.

However, once your visa has been granted and you are in the UK, you are allowed to get a job and work up to 20 hours per week during the school year - it just can't be your main source of funding while living here.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »
Ok. Thanks ksand. That's what I was hoping. I hope to be able to get student loans for the tuition and have the necessary amount saved up for living expenses.

What an adventure this is turning out to be. However, being able to work 20 hr/wk will make this all doable, I hope. :)
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
(Actually, your job whilst studying CAN be used to pay your living expenses, just not for the purposes of the visa application. You show you have enough savings to pay your way when you apply for the visa, then when you get here, you can get a job and not touch the savings, or use a combination of the two.)

Di  ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:26:55 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Di! :)

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 11:57:34 PM »
Actually, your job whilst studying CAN be used to pay your living expenses, just not for the purposes of the visa application. You show you have enough savings to pay your way when you apply for the visa, then when you get here, you can get a job and not touch the savings, or use a combination of the two.)
Sorry, but this is bad advice.  It would be illegal and risky to live off your earnings and not touch the savings you had said you would be living off.  An application for further student leave would need to include three month's bank statements, and three month's wage slips, and it would be obvious from these documents that the person had been living off their UK earnings not any other funds.   

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 01:13:49 AM »
Sorry, but this is bad advice.  It would be illegal and risky to live off your earnings and not touch the savings you had said you would be living off.  An application for further student leave would need to include three month's bank statements, and three month's wage slips, and it would be obvious from these documents that the person had been living off their UK earnings not any other funds.  

Thanks. Though to be honest, unless I'm turning tricks on the streets, I doubt I could realistically earn enough PT to support myself in London anyway. I would have to use savings one way or the other.

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
vii) does not intend to engage in business or to take employment, except part-time or vacation work undertaken with the consent of the Secretary of State;

The subtlety here is that the Secretary of State has given blanket consent to student visa holders to work work up to 20 hours per week in term-time, and an unlimited numbers of hours per week outside term-time.

If the family includes an adult dependent that adult dependent can work an unlimited number of hours, in all weeks.

General comment .... Tier 4, which will replace Student Visas, is going to be a lot tougher than Student Visas. Lots more information on this UKBA webpage, and the implementation plan link thereon.   
John

• TV geek for hire
    • Mclevey Art
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:26:32 AM »
The subtlety here is that the Secretary of State has given blanket consent to student visa holders to work work up to 20 hours per week in term-time, and an unlimited numbers of hours per week outside term-time.

Also, though, keep in mind that a given student's 'term time' isn't necessarily only the times when the university isn't on holiday.

As a research student, my 'term' is 365 days per year.

The advice given by sah10406 is important. You can earn money here and spend it here, but you need to be paying your basic living expenses out of money not earned here (student loans, savings, etc.). If you want to save your earnings here to replace your depleted savings, stick everything in a UK savings account and just leave it there untouched.
Another shameless promotion for www.mclevey.com, the best place on the internet to buy art.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 12:18:54 PM »
Actually, I agree with Di...

The rule is

(vii) does not intend to engage in business or to take employment, except part-time or vacation work undertaken with the consent of the Secretary of State; and

(viii) is able to meet the costs of his course and accommodation and the maintenance of himself and any dependants without taking employment or engaging in business or having recourse to public funds;

So, the point is that the applicant is able to meet the costs without working. As long as they can show this then it doesn't matter if, when they do apply, it shows that the earnings have been covering costs, as long as the work was not essential to cover the costs.

Vicky

Sponsored Links