Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: so if there's no YMS...  (Read 887 times)

• Liked: 0
so if there's no YMS...
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »
So, a bit of background, just the essentials:
-graduating college this december
-had intended (hoped) on applying for bunac, then intended (or once again hoped) on applying for the youth mobility scheme.

So, if what everything i've read is true, and the youth mobility scheme will not be available for Americans, do i have any other options or am i essentially screwed? I had the funds saved up and everything, and i'm really incredibly disappointed.

Is this the end of the line for my UK dreams?

honestly, i've tried to do a ton of research on the forum to avoid having to ask redundant questions, but I havent come across anything that would help me. Please help?

Re: so if there's no YMS...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »
A student visa for postgrad study (or a 2nd bachelors) is pretty much your only option at this point, unless you happened to be trained in an area that's in shortage in the UK and could possibly get a work permit.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:15:50 AM »
my bf, who is leaving to go to the UK in one week, is from New Zealand and on the working holiday scheme. From what i've read, even if we did take the plunge and get married, i still wouldn't be eligible to go over with him... right?

Well, i guess its time to look into visas for ireland. I'm really not prepared for post-grad study.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
one of the rules of the working holiday visa and the upcoming YMS is that partners have to qualify in their own right....so even if you were married, it's true that you couldn't go with him, sorry :(

Good luck with visas for Ireland- the situation is pretty much the same as for the UK when it comes to staying long term, though.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
In addition to Ireland, IoM, Guernsey, Jersey also have their own immigration systems...

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »
Thank you.
I wish i could just wake up tomorrow and the US would magically be on that list. i'm moping around today hardcore.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »
The list you saw was not official and for sure not final. 

At the last reading I got, the ex-BUNAC people were planning to go down swinging.  So it ain't over til it's over.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
thats actually really encouraging, you are incredible.
i'm really glad that i posted something.

thank you garry.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »
you're quite welcome, but I'm not doing anything on YMS.   :-[  I'm just an onlooker like you.

I'm holding down the single parent visa, long-term residency, long-term marriages, RPIM's, and *trying* (unsuccessfully so far) to lodge a prayer against the OISC.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:31:50 PM »
well the info was helpful. good luck on your front

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 06:55:41 AM »
The US and Ireland recently came to an agreement to extend their reciprocal YMS from 4 months to 1 year.   ;D  However, it hasn't been implemented just yet.

Just the same, I'm still keeping my eye on the UK's YMS.  You never know what may come about.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 12:58:44 PM »
The list you saw was not official and for sure not final. 

At the last reading I got, the ex-BUNAC people were planning to go down swinging.  So it ain't over til it's over.

I'm an ex-BUNACer. Should I be voicing my concern about the US being left out to my Congressperson? Or is there someone more appropriate to write to?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

"Everyone, just...pretend to be normal, okay?" - Little Miss Sunshine

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
OH!  Terribly sorry.  I didn't mean "ex-BUNAC" in terms of former end-users; I meant the people who are losing their jobs.   :o 

There's nothing to say that a bundle of narratives from end-users praising the programme wouldn't be compelling tho.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 07:26:33 PM »
Darn.  I was just looking at the YMS and thinking how great it was that I'd still be eligible to apply in January since I'll just be turning 30 in August. Crap. 

Back to figuring out how to pay for Uni here....
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

Sponsored Links