Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changes in Immigration Rules -- Retired Persons of Independent Means  (Read 873 times)

• Liked: 30
The Path to Citizenship document has proposed the elimination of the visa category for Retired Persons of Independent Means.  No mention was made of arrangements for people like me who are already here under this visa but do not yet have ILR (the RPIM visa is a 5-year visa; DH and I are in our second year here).

Thanks to Garry's posting of the link to HC 1113, which was submitted to Parliament yesterday, I found that the visa category will be eliminated in late November, but also found this text:

"Migrants who are currently here as retired persons of independent means will be able to remain in that route and apply for extensions of stay or settlement as appropriate."

YAY! ;D

Thanks again to all Garry's good work ...

Re: Changes in Immigration Rules -- Retired Persons of Independent Means
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »
shucks  :-[

Is it ok if I convey your sentiments to the F&G committee?

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:55:03 PM »
Comments from the RH Mr. Woolas on the elimination of RPIM Visas (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wms/?id=2008-11-04a.18WS.1&s=speaker%3A10652#g18WS.2:

We have made it clear that in the future there will be only three key routes to naturalisation as a British citizen: economic migrants, family members and refugees—those granted humanitarian protection. It is therefore important to pay close attention to all the different routes that have existed in the past and as part of the consultation "The Path to Citizenship: Next Steps in Reforming The Immigration System", we asked whether the retired persons of independent means route should be abolished taking into account the requirements relating to entry under the route.

We recognise that those entering under the retired persons of independent means route are required to be self-sufficient. But, as was pointed out during the consultation, these people may not have enough disposable income to match the demands they may place on public services. In the light of this, and the limited numbers applying under this route, we believe it is right to no longer permit entry as a retired person of independent means. We will therefore amend the immigration rules to this effect by deleting paragraphs 263-65.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
shucks  :-[

Is it ok if I convey your sentiments to the F&G committee?

Of course!  And tonight we will raise a glass of wine to them all!  That is, if we don't fall face down into our dinner after being up all last night watching election results.   :)

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
Comments from the RH Mr. Woolas on the elimination of RPIM Visas (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wms/?id=2008-11-04a.18WS.1&s=speaker%3A10652#g18WS.2:

Well, when we got the visa it seemed like the fact that we had lifetime health insurance from DH's former employer was a big deal to the ECO.  They really wanted to be sure that we wouldn't be a burden to the UK government, which I totally understand.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:20:25 PM »
B*gger. I was hoping to get my mum here on this visa in a few years' time :(
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab