Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Opts out of EU Work Permit Programme  (Read 474 times)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
UK Opts out of EU Work Permit Programme
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:57:26 PM »
The UK Government has opted out of the EU "Blue Card" Programme that is being proposed: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2008-11-05a.231734.h&s=speaker%3A10652+section%3Awrans#g231734.r0

Here is a non-official site on what the proposed Blue Card is: http://www.europeanunionbluecard.com/

Basically it appears that the UK wants to play by its own rules when it comes to the EU now and not participate in wider pan-EU immigration reform.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Re: UK Opts out of EU Work Permit Programme
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
Thanks for this heads-up, Kitson.  There is no viable reason for the opt-out, it's entirely union driven.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
Can you clarify what the blue card is and who it could be good for? I'm obviously thinking in terms of how it would apply to me- a regular ol' American (teacher) trying to come over to the EU.
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
Can you clarify what the blue card is and who it could be good for? I'm obviously thinking in terms of how it would apply to me- a regular ol' American (teacher) trying to come over to the EU.

I would recommend reading the link above, which appears to be a un-official website collecting as much information available.  It is only proposed at this point and far away from something a non-UK EU person could take advantage of.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »
I would recommend reading the link above, which appears to be a un-official website collecting as much information available.  It is only proposed at this point and far away from something a non-UK EU person could take advantage of.

Yeah I read it. Just didn't quite understand all the verbage. But that last part of your response answers my question anyway. Thanks.
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

Sponsored Links