Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing name on Passport before between Fiance Visa and FLR  (Read 420 times)

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
Changing name on Passport before between Fiance Visa and FLR
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »
I entered the UK on a Fiance visa and I am having big problems with proving my identity since being married.  My US drivers license is not accepted anywhere and my passport has my maiden name so the bank will not accept it as a form of ID.  I read that I can change the name on my passport for free since it is within the first year.  However, I have some concern about doing that.  When I apply for my FLR and submit to them a NEW passport that doesn't have the Entry Clearance Stamp in it, will there be problems?  Will the old passport be returned to me?  I don't want to create obstacles when it comes to getting my FLR but it would be nice to have it issued in my married name.  Anyone have experience with this?
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

• Liked: 0
Re: Changing name on Passport before between Fiance Visa and FLR
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »
your maiden name passport plus your marriage certificate should be enough to prove your identity under your married name- I've never heard of that not being acceptable.  I'd go to another bank branch if the one you went to is giving you problems!

But if you do change the name on your passport now, it's not going to be a problem for your FLR application (they'll want to see your old passport though- you will get it back with your new one.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:43:46 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 02:42:27 PM »
I changed my name earlier this year, but I did do it in the US, and yes, my old passport was sent back to me. The FLR application does ask if you've held any other passports and asks you to submit them as well.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 02:45:48 PM »
The bank should accept the passport alongside the marriage certificate.  There is no reason for them to do otherwise.

Anyway, if you do change the passport there will be no problem with the FLR as you will have the old passport back and send that in as well.

Vicky

Sponsored Links