Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Currently on spouse visa, when can i apply for ILR?  (Read 809 times)

• Liked: 0
Currently on spouse visa, when can i apply for ILR?
« on: November 07, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
HIII!!

I have a question about the ILR and hope ya can help.  I am currently in England (american) on a spousal visa.  My visa expires 1 March 2010.  How early can I

1. take life in uk test
2. apply for my ILR?!

THANKs!!!!

Julie

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Currently on spouse visa, when can i apply for ILR?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
When did you enter the UK?  How long have you been married?

Vicky

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
Vicky needs the answer to the question to properly answer #2, but #1 is "whenever you want to prior to applying for your ILR" but realise that they may change or update the test between now and when you apply for the next stage, so it is usually advisable not to take the exam until you are within 3 months of applying for the next thing.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »
Kitsonk, that's the first time I've ever heard that it's not advisable to take the test until 3 months before applying for the next thing...I took mine just before the test changed and am still under the understanding that my pass certificate doesn't expire.  Do you have any information that they may be planning to change this?

(To the OP, sorry for the hijack.)
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:08:40 AM »
It is something that has been suggested in the past, but no cause for alarm just yet.  It wasn't in the latest tranche of stupid proposals, so not worth worrying about.

Vicky

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 03:03:13 AM »
Vicky needs the answer to the question to properly answer #2, but #1 is "whenever you want to prior to applying for your ILR" but realise that they may change or update the test between now and when you apply for the next stage, so it is usually advisable not to take the exam until you are within 3 months of applying for the next thing.

I just attended my appointment this past Monday for my FLR(M) and I was told directly that it was advisable that I take my Life in the UK test ASAP before they change it or make it harder. I was assured as well that it does not expire -- at least, not once you have taken it and passed.

Hope they were right.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »
My point is they are changing stuff all the time.  Who knows what hoops people are going to make folks jump through in a couple years.  So I personally wouldn't worry about getting things done until you are closer.  Trust me when I say any reasonably intelligent person who studies for the Life in the UK using the official materials will be able to pass it.

For example, they have made the burden of proof that you have co-habitated together LESS in the time period I have been waiting for ILR.  In the first revision of the Life exam, they had a few questions that were factually wrong which they corrected.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab