Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another passport name change question  (Read 1004 times)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Another passport name change question
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:55:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked and answered several times already in this forum, but most of the answers I found were several years old, and I wanted to make sure that nothing important has changed. 

I was just married in the US to a Brit, then he went home and I stayed here to apply for my visa.  I had to wait two weeks to get the copies of the marriage certificate, and now the US Passport Agency is telling me that it will be another two weeks to get my name changed in my passport--and that's with the expedited service!  They say there's no way to get it done faster, even if I go in person.  I really don't want to wait another two weeks before I can even send the visa app, particularly because I'm hoping to travel before Christmas.  How important is it to get my passport changed before applying for the visa?  Can I get the name change dealt with once I'm in the UK, and will it matter that the name on the visa won't match the new passport name?  My passport won't be a year old until January, so I'd like to get it changed before then so I can keep the same passport.  Has anyone had any experience with this in 2008?  I'd appreciate some advice.  Thanks!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Another passport name change question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 08:12:23 AM »
Essentially asked and answered here yesterday: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=48567.0

1. The Visa will be issued in the name that is on the passport you submit
2. They will not give you the same passport back with a change name, but under a year it is free.
3. It can be done abroad, via the Embassy in London or Consulate in Endinburgh if you live in Scotland
4. You will have to show your old passport with the visa and your new passport with visa on subsequent entries into the UK.
5. It is common.  People generally expect people to get married and change their names.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Banned

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »
Although you don't HAVE to change it.  It is your choice.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:50:24 AM »

I was just married in the US to a Brit, then he went home and I stayed here to apply for my visa.  I had to wait two weeks to get the copies of the marriage certificate, and now the US Passport Agency is telling me that it will be another two weeks to get my name changed in my passport--and that's with the expedited service! 

I did this earlier this year and something that I found out...I sent mine in as a regular renewal and it took 10 days from the time I mailed in the application (recorded USPS priority mail with proof of delivery) to when I had the new one back in my hand. It took about 2 weeks to get my supporting docs back (old passport & marriage certificate).

Vicky is right you don't have to do it, but I have had to show my passport when I wanted to change my name with my GP, my Bank and the NHS. They wouldn't accept my marriage license/certificate and only wanted my passport. So, it just saved me a lot of hassle in the end and now I have another 10 years before I have to renew again.

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:55:05 AM »
All these organisations should accept the marriage certificate as evidence of a change of name.

Vicky

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
I changed my name at the GP, bank and NHS with my marriage certificate.
Funny enough, the bank changed it for me based on my certificate but then when I needed to access funds before my new debit card was issued (I didn't know they had cancelled the previous one and issued a new one) they said that they could not accept my passport any longer cause it was in my maiden name.  I didn't have my marriage certificate with me or maybe they would have.  The thing is, they already had made a copy of the certificate once and had it on file that I had changed my name only a week prior.  In short, they had made the change and then refused my passport because of the change.   ???
I guess I need to get into the habit of carrying both documents with me. 
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 11:06:31 AM »
All these organisations should accept the marriage certificate as evidence of a change of name.

Vicky

I don't know if it is because my certificate is from California and not the UK but they wouldn't accept it.

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »
My guess is that the staff who were supposed to help you are morons.

Vicky

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:03:41 PM »
I just thought that since I'll be entering the country as a spouse and not a fiance that my situation might be different.  My husband says that soon foreigners will be required to apply for an ID card, which should be easier than carrying around two passports and a marriage certificate.  I guess if I can get the name changed from the UK I'll just wait and do it there.  Thanks for the help  :)
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
My guess is that the staff who were supposed to help you are morons.

Vicky

My bank refused to cash a US tax refund cheque because it was made out to me in my maiden name and my bank account is in my married name. I had my marriage certificate with me. It was a UK marriage certificate.

At the same time, because of their stupid, slow admin systems, I hadn't been able to get my debit card changed to my married name, so that was still in my maiden name. Plus I was still getting correspondence mailed to me in my maiden name - with both my maiden name and married name on the same piece of correspondence in different places.

I sent complaint letters to the bank and the financial ombudsman, with copies of my debit card with my maiden name and  correspondence with my maiden name,which matched the cheque with my maiden name, and they still wouldn't do it because my account is in my married name and apparently banks can choose not to allow you to use both your married and maiden names - even if you provide a marriage certificate ::)

On the other hand, I was able to open up a bank account with another bank, after I changed my name, showing utility bills in both my maiden and married names.

So it depends on the bank.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:39:46 PM by sweetpeach »

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »
Wow.  Please name and shame the bank.

Vicky

• York Interweb
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
Rhymes with shabby.

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »
 ;D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:20 PM »
I didn't change my name on my passport until after we'd been married for almost a year and a half. I never had any problems opening a bank account, getting my NI number, registering with a GP with my passport in my maiden name and a marriage certificate (from California). After I changed my name to my married name I just carried my old passport with my spousal visa with my new one in my married name. I never had any problems.

• York Interweb
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:20 PM »
I didn't change my name on my passport until after we'd been married for almost a year and a half. I never had any problems opening a bank account, getting my NI number, registering with a GP with my passport in my maiden name and a marriage certificate (from California). After I changed my name to my married name I just carried my old passport with my spousal visa with my new one in my married name. I never had any problems.

Are you saying that you carry around passports with 2 different names? Does it cause a problem with travelling if you  leave the country with tickets based on your new passport in your married name but return to the UK using your spousal visa in your maiden name? I guess not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:40:54 PM by sweetpeach »

Sponsored Links