Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mom coming for one month visit - does she need bank statements?  (Read 529 times)

• Liked: 0
Mom coming for one month visit - does she need bank statements?
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
I'm pregnant with my first baby and my mom is coming for the birth and to help me out for the first couple of weeks. Two weeks after Mom arrives, my dad will fly out so we can all be together for those last two weeks. Then, both Mom and Dad will fly back to the US together.

Now, I've just been reading the LONG post below about the young girl who recently got bounced for a two-month visit. Obviously, my parents aren't in quite the same situation, but I'm now starting to get a little worried especially as my mom will be flying out first on her own.

Both my parents are retired, so showing evidence of a job to go back to isn't an option. I'm happy to write a letter she can bring with her, but I want to know if there's anything else she and my dad should bring with them? Bank statements? They've got e-tickets, will just their itinerary be sufficient?

Re: Mom coming for one month visit - does she need bank statements?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »
IMO...I would think that they would just need itinerary's and I would give them a letter just stating that they would be guests in your home and the reason for their visit. They might want to bring something to show their ties to the US and their intent to return.

Keep in mind that a young girl vs a grandmother going to visit her grandchild are two completely different situations and you cannot infer anything from the previous persons experience.

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:02:02 PM »
I'm happy to write a letter she can bring with her, but I want to know if there's anything else she and my dad should bring with them? Bank statements? They've got e-tickets, will just their itinerary be sufficient?

Yes, young women visiting boyfriends or having entered the UK frequently as a visitor or on other visas coming back look like they may want to overstay their visas.  Assuming your Mother doesn't have a diary filled with details about how much some young Brit means to her and how she just can't stand to be apart from him, etc, or has been staying up all hours chatting on the Internet with some guy she's never met in Bristol, she should be fine.

A printed itinerary should be more then enough in their case, but if you are worried, sending her a letter of sponsorship (saying that you and your husband are inviting her for X period of time and will ensure she is provided with accomodation during this period) then she can keep that as backup.

What is likely to happen is:
IO: "What is the purpose of your visit?"
Mom: "Visiting my daughter who is pregnant with our first grandchild."
IO: "Oh, isn't that sweet, how long you plan to stay?"
Mom: "A month"
IO: "Oh, you going to get any sightseeing in... blah blah blah" *STAMP* *STAMP* "Thank you and enjoy your visit."
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
Thanks for your replies. That's exactly what I needed to know. Cheers!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
First of all, congrats on your impending visit from the stork!

I was just recently in the exact same situation as you. DD was born September 23. My mom was here for a month and my dad came over for the last two weeks. Both of them sailed through immigration without any problems. They just explained that they were here to visit their daughter and husband, who were expecting their first child. I don't even think the IO asked for their itineraries, but they had the printed itinerary with them just in case.

Good luck with everything, and enjoy your visit. It will go by soooo quickly!

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »
we brought the baby with us to the airport to pick them up!

then waited for them at the end of the queue (this was in Edinburgh, small airport).

IOs had a peak at the wee one whilst stamping them through.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab