Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: War...  (Read 1261 times)

• Liked: 1
War...
« on: January 09, 2003, 07:21:16 PM »
I was just wondering what others' opinions were on this subject.  I will be moving in April to England as some of you might know.  My parents are quite concerned about me going mainly because of this looming war.  With all the uncertainties, it is making them very worried.  My mother even went as far to say that if there was a war going on, she wouldn't visit next year because she wouldn't want to leave this country (US).  She is worried if it gets too bad, I will be trapped in England and won't be able to get home if things get bad.

I guess I haven't really thought about it as I have enough on my plate...leaving family, job, country, friends and so on.  I just think that you are not safe anywhere anymore.  England is just as prepared as the US in my opinion.  Why should I let this prevent me from moving and experiencing a new country and culture?  Would you?

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: War...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 08:57:16 PM »
Tweir,

every now and then I get all stressed and worried about pending wars and such and what will happen...  but after I talk some with my honey I calm down and come back to my senses... I realize that I can not let fear stop me from living or being where I feel I belong...  nor should you...  it is natural to have worries and fears... and I myself go through that worry spell at least once every few weeks...  but I know that I will move and if something is to happen...  it is going to happen whether I move or not.

I am more afraid that something will happen to not allow me to move... and that would really stink...  but I believe and both you and I will be there where our hearts strive to go.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 10:12:07 PM »
The first time I came here was not quite a month after 9/11.  It was a worrisome time then but I had spent so much time and energy planning my trip that there was no way I was NOT coming.  

Given that, I wasn't about to let any fears keep me from moving either.  Given that I have children in the US still, I do worry about visitation and bringing them here or whether I would be able to visit them there.  

In this situation, obviously one can't predict the future.  It's something where you have to look in your heart and look at what impact each choice can have and go from there.  All the best, Tweir.  This is definitely a strange and uncertain time right now.  :-/

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 06:51:12 PM »
I am trying not to let the threat of war, or terrorism, or ricin in the Tube change how I live my life.  Yes, this is a scary, uncertain time, but that's a fact of life these days.  As Sept. 11, and more recent scares and threats has shown, you are never 100% safe anywhere.  Heck, I was probably risking my life more driving in the narrow, twisty, country roads Wednesday morning in the pelting, freezing snow!  I am still at a much higher risk of dying by driving every day, than by an act or war or terrorism.  

Risk and uncertainty are part of life.  Adventure and new experiences are, too.  Try not to "what if" yourself into doubting your decision to move to the UK.  I am the Queen of "What If's?", but I just have to slap myself upside the head and get on with LIFE! ;)

This is my attitude today.  Last night I was up, unable to sleep, "what-iffing" and worrying about everything in my life.  I finally gave myself a good talking to and calmed down.  So, I'm not telling you not to worry at all, but to put things in perspective and evaluate what is right for you and your life.

Hope that helped.  Hang in there!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab