Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Checking Sponsor Finances?  (Read 513 times)

• Liked: 0
Checking Sponsor Finances?
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
Okay, as I understand, almost every Visa that is granted to Americans visiting the UK mentions as to whether or not your sponsor can support you.

How is this checked?

Is this done through bank statements/credit check/employment records/something else entirely?

I have the means to sponsor, but only in the sense that my own calculations support the notion that I can. Some government official checking through my bank balance seems a bit creepy and largely open to discrepencies being made. So, I'm still very unsure how this check is made and would like to know how it is made so that I can make sure it won't become a problem that I could have avoided.

Cheers

Re: Checking Sponsor Finances?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »
Well, if she's coming to visit the UK for 2 weeks as you mentioned in your other thread, she doesn't need a visa, unless she's been denied entry to the UK in the past. 

Otherwise, if she's just coming to visit for 2 weeks, she buys a ticket and comes to the UK.  If she's bringing no money to live on for those 2 weeks - if you're paying for everything, you would want to provide a letter (would be my guess) stating that you are intending to support her while she's in the UK.  She should carry that with her in her hand luggage, along with any proof of ties she may have to the US - a job, school to return to...

If you're talking about some other kind of visa, that information is given in the guidance for the particular visa.  Somewhere along the line, you are going to need to show bank statements and/or pay slips...but not for a 2 week visit...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I understood that they just needed to see six months worth of bank statments, bank savings book etc. Just to confirm that you have enough money coming in to support two people. As far as I know they don't contact your bank or run a credit check. However, I'm just finalising the documents that we'll be sending in so I don't have the "been there, done that" knowledge that others might.
Adam & Sherms,
Happily Engaged Since 04/21/07

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:47:56 PM »
Generally a letter from your employer confirming your employment and 6 months worth of bank statements do the trick.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply Juliloew,

The plan at the moment is that she'll be coming over for 2 weeks at first for a visit, she would have spending money to live on for that period. But this is where I get lost in understanding. Is there a set amount of cash that is needed?

For example, she turns up with £600 and someone at Passport control says "sorry, you need another £150 to stay here, back home with you, lass"

If things are still on course, then I'll fly back there, marry her in some chapel real quick, pop down to Chicago for the day to sort out a Visa and then bring her home. Again, would there need to be a set amount of money in my bank and I set amount of a wage income?

I know this probably cannot be answered with certainty, but some rough guesses are the best to go on right now.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »
Ah, that sounds much better.  :)

Thanks.

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02:11 PM »
There are no hard and fast rules as far as visitors and money.  If she doesn't have a hotel, £50 a day would be more then enough.  You can get a skewed sense of reality on this board and we scare people a lot...  ::)

Having a sponsorship letter is a good backup, saying that you will accomodate and feed her for the two weeks.  Having some cash in hand is a good backup.  She should also have a way to contact you, mobile number.  She should know where you live specifically, including the address.  The most important thing is being clear and concise.  Always tell the trust, but only provide the information being asked for.

What is likely to happen:
IO: What is the purpose of your visit?
GF: To visit my boyfriend?
IO: How long will you be staying?
GF: Two weeks?
IO: Do you have a return ticket?
GF: Yes, here (hands over itenerary)
IO: Have you met your boyfriend before?
GF: Yes.
IO: When was the last time you saw him?
GF: [Whatever is the truth]
IO: Thank you, enjoy your stay, *stamp* *stamp*

If she is unclear, hesitates, says "just visiting a friend", appears to be evasive they are going to grill her more, maybe go through her stuff, potentially attempt to trip her up, maybe call you to verify her story, etc.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »
For sponsor support documentation (in reference to finances for a visa), you will need your original bank statements (photocopies and online printouts will not work)...my hubby requested these from his local bank (because he does online, "paperless" banking and does not receive a monthly paper statement) and he received them in about 5 days.  From what I've read, the request is for the past 3-6 months (we're including the past 6 months).  You also need paycheck stubs (as always, originals) or your employment contract...3-6 months back. 

Some government official checking through my bank balance seems a bit creepy and largely open to discrepencies being made.

I'm not sure how a government official looking through your bank balance is open to discrepencies...the money is either there or it's not...maybe I misinterpreted this statement. 

• The official blog
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
What is likely to happen:
IO: What is the purpose of your visit?
GF: To visit my boyfriend?
IO: How long will you be staying?
GF: Two weeks?

Well done on the young-American-woman accent, you have the statements ending in questions and everything!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »
I'm not sure how a government official looking through your bank balance is open to discrepencies...the money is either there or it's not...maybe I misinterpreted this statement. 

Then its obvious you don't bank with Abbey National, lol. They've deducted money that wasn't theirs in the past, at least 3 times. Rather irrelevantly, it always takes about 2 months for them to correct their mistake.

Bank statements and payslips I can do however, thanks for the heads up.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »
Well done on the young-American-woman accent, you have the statements ending in questions and everything!  ;D

LOL this cracks me up.  Kitson, if you did that on purpose - you're brilliant.  That is exactly how I answer questions to the IO's, sadly :)

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
Generally a letter from your employer confirming your employment and 6 months worth of bank statements do the trick.

Only three months of statements are needed, and pay slips are a good idea too.

Vicky

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »
I was worried initially with my husband's bank statements when we included them for my fiance visa back in July as he often dipped into his overdraft and had lots of silly bank charges. It didn't seem to be an issue at all in the end. Then, when I went in person a few weeks ago for my FLR(M) -- spousal visa, in Solihull, I asked the agent at the counter directly if his using the overdraft seemed problematic (and I had a budget with my prospective earnings in case)...she told me that they simply look to see that he has consistent incoming funds from his employer.

I don't know that they check documents the same in the UK PEOs as they do the consulates in the US, but I would believe regular earnings would be the thing they're looking for.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• My blog!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:53:50 AM »
LOL this cracks me up.  Kitson, if you did that on purpose - you're brilliant.  That is exactly how I answer questions to the IO's, sadly :)

Um, I meant to do that... Yeah!  That it!  :-[
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 09:33:47 AM »
If things are still on course, then I'll fly back there, marry her in some chapel real quick, pop down to Chicago for the day to sort out a Visa and then bring her home. Again, would there need to be a set amount of money in my bank and I set amount of a wage income?

On the visa part, if you do marry in the US, it's not quite that easy.

You cannot go to the visa consulate in person, so to apply for a spousal visa, first your girlfriend will have to fill out the online visa form and pay for it (currently £515). Then after the payment has been taken, she will be asked to book an appointment to have biometrics done (fingerprints and photo taken at a designated office) - the wait for biometrics appointments can be anything from a couple of days to a few weeks depending on how busy they are. Once she has had her biometrics done, then she will have two weeks to send off all the supporting documents for the visa (including official marriage certificate, proof of finances, proof of relationship, living expenses budget etc).

Then after the documents have been sent off it will usually take a few more days to a couple of weeks for the visa to be issued (or usually quicker if you pay extra for an expedited courier service to deliver the application and documents to the consulate).

She can fill out the online form and book the biometrics appointment before you get married as long as you can get all of the documents and the marriage certificate delivered to the consulate within 2 weeks of her biometrics appointment (I understand that some states don't issue the official marriage certificate right away and you may have to wait a few days to receive it).

Sponsored Links