Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Recently engaged, need advice on which visa and wedding dates for visa  (Read 419 times)

• Liked: 0
I just recently got engaged, and we have decided that I will be the one to make the move to England as he has a mortgage and I rent. 
Initially I started investigating fiance visas, but have decided I really need to hit the ground running on the job situation!  It seems to me the only advantageous part of the fiance visa is that we could apply for the marriage visa whilst already in England. 

We are tentatively working with a date in May for our wedding, but I would like to move to England almost immediately after the wedding (within a couple weeks).  I'm assuming for the marriage visa I need to provide a marriage certificate, and there is a long wait period?  Would you suggest court house nuptials a few months before our actual wedding so that we can get the paperwork started for the marriage visa? 
Does my fiance need any paperwork or forms when he comes over on the visa waiver program to marry me in May (apart from standard marriage requirements)?
Is the best way to apply for a marriage visa through the worldbridge website? 

Thanks in advance for your information!

Re: Recently engaged, need advice on which visa and wedding dates for visa
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »
where are you planning on getting married?
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
The United States

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
you need to check with the state that you're getting married in as to how long it will take to get your marriage certificate, as it varies.  In many places if you physically take the marriage license to the courthouse after the wedding you can get the official certificate the same day, but as I said, it varies.  It's usually not a lengthy wait though, even if you send in the license by mail.

If you're hoping to move to the UK within a couple of weeks of the wedding, then you'd probably want to use a visa courier service, who will deliver the application to the UK consulate for you.  Using a courier agency generally reduces processing time from weeks to just a couple of days if you have a straightforward case. (But don't buy your tickets until you have your visa, just in case!) You'll also want to plan ahead of time with regards to the biometric appointment- you can fill out the online app and schedule a biometrics appointment before you actually marry so that you don't have to fill our the app and wait for your appointment time to roll around after the wedding.

In short- moving very shortly after the wedding is still doable, it just takes a bit of forward planning.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »
Great tip with regards to the biometrics appointment--thank you! 

When would I be required to take the citizenship test?  Is this something I could schedule in advance as well, or do I need to have my visa in hand?

Thank you again

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »
you don't need to worry about the Life in the UK test right now- it's not a requirement for the spousal visa (it is a requirement for ILR/permanent residence, which you'll apply for almost two years after you enter the UK.)
Now a triple citizen!

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »
Sorry, but I can't seem to find the locations, or where to apply for the biometrics fingerprinting. 

According to the Woodbridge website:
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is collecting biometric data in the USA to make the process easier and more convenient.  When an individual submits an application and payment on-line, they may also make an appointment at one of 129 Application Support Centers (ASCs) located throughout the United States.   

Which would seem that I have to fill out the application and provide my marriage certificate first? 

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »
you have to submit your online application first (and pay)- immediately after you submit on the website, a form will come up asking you to make an appointment for biometrics.  You don't send in your supporting documents until after your biometrics appointment, as you need to include the biometric certificate with your supporting documents.
Now a triple citizen!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab