Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Post Office rant!  (Read 6095 times)

Re: Post Office rant!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »
Actually, you have a point.  I regularly try to shag my male clients in front of their girlfriends. 

Must be a British thing after all.

Vicky

Vicky - i often attend kinky parties at my local postmistresses house where this would be most appropriate - i will PM you an invite for the next one... ;) ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:59:15 AM by english.bloke »

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 10:58:12 AM »
I apologise for straying from the topic of this thread.  

Does anyone know what the cutoff/dividing line is for packages?  At what point/size/weight do they jump to a more costly rate?  I've looked for information on the Royal Mail website and am still not sure.
I have a lot of packages to send to the states and want to save every pence I can.
I know when sending boxes from US to UK it was cheaper to send one large box than several small ones.  It sounds like the opposite is true from UK to US.  

From what I understood, it's 2kg that makes it no longer a "small parcel" and then it has some crazy international rates.

Actually, you have a point.  I regularly try to shag my male clients in front of their girlfriends. 

Must be a British thing after all.

Vicky

*dies laughing* I love you, Vicky.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 11:39:40 AM »

*dies laughing* I love you, Vicky.

Thank you!  ;D

I hope you don't think I am undermining your anger.  I would be effing livid if this happened to me!

Vicky

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
I'd be really angry, too.  I absolutey *hate* that kind of behavior when the female in question knows you are a couple--it's so ugly.  A similar thing happened to me once and in retrospect I should have lashed out at her (not that you should have since it happened to you at a place of business, etc.).  >:(
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »
From what I understood, it's 2kg that makes it no longer a "small parcel" and then it has some crazy international rates.
Thank you Anna!   :)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 01:00:07 PM »
Thank you!  ;D

I hope you don't think I am undermining your anger.  I would be effing livid if this happened to me!

Vicky

No, not at all Vicky! :D 

Thank you Anna!   :)

No problem.  That's going by what the woman told Tim when we were weighing the package, so hopefully that helps.  We re-packaged things into bubble envelopes except for the extremely breakable, and it seemed to help on costs.

BUT, there's also still the slow boat way of travel out of the UK for large packages, so if you don't mind having the recipient wait 6-8 weeks, you can still send large packages that way, though I don't think there was a huge savings doing that, either.

Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
It really depends on the weight of the packagaes (and probably the size now).  I am far too mean to send my brother Christmas presents by air (to Canada), I always send by boat...though he usually doesn't get them until February!

Vicky

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »
I don't mind late Christmas presents, it makes the holiday season last longer.   :)

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »
A friend of mine from the US came to stay with me back in September and she left her coat in my car when she left, so I had to ship it back to her.

It was in a fairly small box and was pretty light and my shipping cost options were:

Airmail - £10

Boat/Ground shipping - £5

I went for the Airmail option because I didn't want her to have to wait 2 months for her coat back, but in that case, it was half the price to ship by sea :).

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
It really depends on the weight of the packagaes (and probably the size now).  I am far too mean to send my brother Christmas presents by air (to Canada), I always send by boat...though he usually doesn't get them until February!

Vicky

LOL!  One year, Tim send my present on Dec 21st or so and said to me "I'm sorry you won't get this until after Christmas".  Would you believe it arrived on December 24th?  Tim and I have such good luck with packages going back and forth it's really quite silly. 

I don't mind late Christmas presents, it makes the holiday season last longer.   :)

Heck yeah! My friends and I are so slow, birthdays and Christmas always bleed into a few months. One year I deliberately held off on sending my cards until March just to cheer people up!

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
Sorry to hear what a skag that woman was. I would be so angry, not sure how you kept it in!!

Next time go alone, kill her with kindness, if she's still a cow then say and do the bare minimum to get your packages sent. If it's still a problem you may need to go when someone else is on shift or a new post office! Don't take Tim again!

I haven't mailed too much so I don't really have postal issues, the one guy was quite stupid when I was picking up a package from my mother, he read her last name instead of mine when he asked me who it was for (not from!) I said my married last name and he's like uhh, I don't have a package, I'm like I have the slip right here,  then I said my maiden name/mom's last name and he found it. Duh.

Good luck! x

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »
I'm happy to say my post office experience was a positive one.  Almost.  I took 15 packages to the PO yesterday for mailing to the states.  All fit in the small parcel category.  The very nice lady behind the window was so helpful.   :)  But when she tried to swipe my credit card it said something like "does not support online banking".  ???  So I was feeling a bit 'rantful' toward the credit card company.  I'll give them a call today, hopefully sort it out before my next holiday shopping outing.  

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »
I'd be really angry, too.  I absolutey *hate* that kind of behavior when the female in question knows you are a couple--it's so ugly.  A similar thing happened to me once and in retrospect I should have lashed out at her (not that you should have since it happened to you at a place of business, etc.).  >:(

I'm personally not bothered by someone flirting with my husband, but I can't stand it when a woman completely ignores another woman and just talks to the man. As though it is assumed that the man is the intelligent one who handles everything and the woman is just there for decoration.  It would be annoying if a man did this, but it's usually women who do this which makes it 100 times worse, like she is disrespecting her own gender.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
I'm personally not bothered by someone flirting with my husband, but I can't stand it when a woman completely ignores another woman and just talks to the man. As though it is assumed that the man is the intelligent one who handles everything and the woman is just there for decoration.  It would be annoying if a man did this, but it's usually women who do this which makes it 100 times worse, like she is disrespecting her own gender.

I agree with you completely, but I've noticed it gets done frequently, particularly if we're at a pub and ordering drinks. It's like I can't possibly know what I want/how to order and they always look expectantly at Tim!

Ugh, and if we're at a store and Tim pays for things and there's something in the lot that's clearly something for me, the woman ringing us out always shoots me some kind of look as if I'm a terrible person for letting my boyfriend buy me a container of deodorant or whatever the small item was.

I agree. And I can tell the difference between just being friendly and flirting - it would have been completely different if she hadn't gotten all cute and called him "Timmy", and if she hadn't made a comment about his sleeping habits, and had actually paid attention to me, I might have taken the rest as her just  being friendly.  His grandparents don't even call him Timmy, and this woman was saying it in that ridiculous cute way. 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2008, 03:24:02 PM »
Anna- I stand by my original reaction- I would have said something- politely, but firmly. If "people are people" everywhere, then I would also stand up for myself anywhere. I'm sorry it happened, though! It would be quite annoying!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab