Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New Immigration Bill  (Read 1880 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: New Immigration Bill
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »
I figure I'll be applying for ILR in May (possibly under the current rules!?), and then I'll have to decide whether I should sneak in a naturalisation application right away

Right away? When did you actually arrive in the UK? Do appreciate the need to have been in the UK exactly 3 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application.

Out of curiosity, how will this affect those on ILR that had no urge to naturalize? Will they eventually be forced to?

I think we need to wait to see exactly what the Government puts into the Bill. Only then we we get some idea.

But for say US citizens, where dual nationality is not an issue .... both US and UK have no problem with dual nationality ... I have to say, why not naturalise?

But it is a real issue for say Indian or Malaysian citizens, given that acquiring any other citizenship means loss of their existing citizenship.
John

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »
Right away? When did you actually arrive in the UK? Do appreciate the need to have been in the UK exactly 3 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application.

IIRC, Julie was here as a student for more than a year before she got married and switched to FLR so she'd be eligible for citizenship upon getting ILR in May.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 12:34:04 PM »
You have a good memory Springhaze!  I arrived in August of 05 as a student and then got a CoA in order to get married in June of '07.  The only thing I'll really have to watch for is if I decide to go and get my ILR in person in May - I can't apply for naturalisation until early June of '09 as I was in the US in late May of '06...

I'd really like to wait and register (although since they don't make the 'kids' of British men do it, I'd rather not have to do that either), but I'm more worried about how much more difficult and expensive they may make the whole thing, so I'll do it as soon as I can...

MTA to say thanks, JohnL, for the Parliament Bills link...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:37:37 PM by juliloew »
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
Yesterday in the House of Commons the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, was speaking on the subject of the Bill,  starting here, well actually just before the start of "Column 162".

In particular :-

The Bill also sets out plans for major changes to what we expect of migrants before they can earn British citizenship. British citizenship, Mr. Deputy Speaker, is a privilege. There will no longer be an automatic right to stay here after five years. From now on, newcomers will have to speak English, work hard and play by the rules if they want to stay and build a new life in Britain. And just as the Bill introduces those new responsibilities, we will also create a new duty for the UK Border Agency to take into account the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children in its operations.
John

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 12:57:06 PM »
But for say US citizens, where dual nationality is not an issue .... both US and UK have no problem with dual nationality ... I have to say, why not naturalise?

Maybe because we can't afford the flipping fees??  ::)

I KNOW I'm not the only one here who's going to seriously struggle (or be completely unable) to hand over nearly £1700 to the Home Office next year - but that's what it's going to cost for ILR + naturalisation, and given the looming changes, I can't afford to wait, either.   Plenty of US citizens in Britain (and UK citizens in America, for that matter) are permanent residents simply because they can't afford to apply for naturalisation.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »
Ain't it the truth! 

I personally could get away with extending my FLR(M) and waiting until I can register (hopefully before that FLR would expire!!), which would save me a few hundred pounds; but, unless my employer decides to be very understanding about my own particular situation, they won't allow it - the terms of my contract state that I must get ILR as soon as I'm eligible for it...it is something I'll be bringing up with the powers that be in the New Year...

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »
I'd suggest that your employer could give you an interest free loan then.

Vicky

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 04:47:22 PM »
Now, there's a thought!  Thanks, I would probably not have thought of that! :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 12:11:08 AM »
They seem to have hidden the previous/preceding Draft Immigration and Citizenship Bill!

It's back > Simplifying legislation, processes and technology > Partial Draft Immigration & Citizenship Bill
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 12:21:38 AM by vinny »
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 01:41:27 AM »

She said she might be seeking naturalization through her British mother who was born before '61. There's a residency requirement for that as well?
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 08:40:10 AM »
I'll answer for JohnL and say that he was talking about if I naturalise, rather than register (through my mother).  WHEN I am able to register through my mother, I can be anywhere in the world, and as far as I know, I need never have set foot in the UK - it's totally about being born to a British parent.  But, I'm here now, and I'm not leaving until such time as I have my 'birthright', even if it's through my husband rather than my mother....I flip flop back and forth, thinking I should just get it as soon as I possibly can, because no matter which route I take, we all know it's not gonna get any cheaper!

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 06:13:08 PM »
It's back > Simplifying legislation, processes and technology > Partial Draft Immigration & Citizenship Bill
They are certainly not saying much about what the "prescribed activities" are other than to say you must meet that requirement in order to naturalise
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 12:30:09 AM »
1st reading tabled for 14th January 2009....

http://www.commonsleader.gov.uk/output/page2373.asp

Vicky

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »
Many thanks for that link, Vicky!

Sponsored Links