Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Biometrics and ID Cards for FLR(M) and FLR(S)  (Read 47266 times)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Biometrics and ID Cards for FLR(M) and FLR(S)
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:00:09 PM »
When I was in at the Birmingham PEO today I tried to do as much snooping as possible around the process of Biometrics and ID Cards for those who are going to be issued them.  I saw the new Biometric area at the PEO and it appeared that they were doing some training in the new room, with some of the IO's being Enrolers and some being Enrolees.  It would appear to be a two part process of fingerprints and pictures being taken.

It also appears that EVERYONE applying for FLR(M) and FLR(S) will have to now go through biometrics and ID Cards.  So everyone who has posted their application post the 25 November and anyone doing an in person post the 25 November will go through this process.  As of right now only Croydon is taking in person applications and the UKBA website says they have no appointments available for December.  Birmingham is supposed to go live 5th December, bit is not accepting appointments for December either with the rest sometime in the month of December and no word on what is happening in Northern Ireland.  My guess is that it is going to be near impossible to get premium processing of FLR(S) or FLR(M) for a while.

I also picked up a pamphlet titled "Identiy Cards for Foreign Nations: Biometric Enrolment Process"

For those applying by post, it lists the following process:
  • Application and fee posted by applicant
  • Application received and fee processed
  • Application data entry into case system
  • Application validated (correct application form and documents including photos)
  • Applicant identified as requiring biometrics
  • Biometric Notification letter sent to applicant
  • Appointment made by applicant (booked through call centre)
  • Applicant arrives at biometric enrolment centre reception (having passed through security)
  • Appointment checked and ticket issued
  • Biometrics captured and results checked (fingerprints and photograph)
  • Applicant leaves biometric enrolment centre
  • Passport and documents returned to applicant with decision
  • Identity Card issued by secure deliver to address provided for successful applicants

This means that the overall process is going to be extended for postal applications.  If you do not attend you Biometrics appointment, UKBA is likely to cancel your application and return it to you.  You will also receive your ID seperately from your passport.  It will become VERY important that you DO NOT TRAVEL outside of the UK prior to receiving your ID, as you will run into big trouble with UKBA.  I know this is very tough for newlyweds who want to go on a honeymoon, but you are in a real tough situation, you cannot re-enter the UK on your Fiancé(e) Visa and you cannot re-enter the UK without your ID card.

The process for in person/premium applications is:
  • Applicant makes PEO appointment
  • Applicant arrives at PEO reception (having passed through security)
  • Application checked by reception (correct form and documents including photos) & ticket issued
  • Applicant pays application fee
  • Application data entry into case system
  • Biometrics captured & results checked (fingerprints and photograph)
  • Application considered
  • Decision made (whether to grant or refuse)
  • Applicant leaves PEO
  • Identity Card issued by secure delivery to address provided for successful applicants

The pamphlet says that it will take 3-5 business days to receive the ID card.

Now we need a real world experience to help flesh out this process for folks.

[Edit - Made a mistake on the start, it is NOVEMBER not December as previously stated]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:35:22 PM by kitsonk »
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Biometrics and ID Cards for FLR(M) and FLR(S)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »
Does this mean that if I post my application for FLR PRIOR to 25 December, I won't have to do biometrics at this time?  Or ID card either? 

Thanks for all this info Kitsonk
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:36:58 PM »
Sorry, my mistake... I meant 25 November, not December.  I corrected the post.  As of last week ALL FLR(M) and FLR(S) have to do the Biometrics.  Also double check that you are using the correct form that is currently valid.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
My Blog

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
Is it possible to apply for an ID card if you are not applying for FLR(M) or FLR(S)?  I'd actually like to have one.  Right now, I am here on a spouse visa, and my passport is my only ID.  That means that if I want to apply for a provisional driving license, I will need to mail my original passport with the application, and I am very leery of sending my only proof if ID and immigration status through the mail.  Is it possible to apply just for the ID card?  And if so, how would I do that? 

On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
No it is not.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
Bummer. I was hoping to get one now to expedite the process when I apply for my UP visa. Oh well, one thing at a time.
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
Is it possible to apply for an ID card if you are not applying for FLR(M) or FLR(S)?  I'd actually like to have one.  Right now, I am here on a spouse visa, and my passport is my only ID.  That means that if I want to apply for a provisional driving license, I will need to mail my original passport with the application, and I am very leery of sending my only proof if ID and immigration status through the mail.  Is it possible to apply just for the ID card?  And if so, how would I do that? 

The DVLA are so massively well-organized and professional, it's not a big a problem as other agencies.  Be sure the post is registered and you'll be fine.

• Liked: 29
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »
  Right now, I am here on a spouse visa, and my passport is my only ID.  That means that if I want to apply for a provisional driving license, I will need to mail my original passport with the application, and I am very leery of sending my only proof if ID and immigration status through the mail. 
We were anxious about doing this too, but it all worked just fine. DH and I got our passports back from the DVLA in less than a week -- and this was from Swansea to the far north of Scotland.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
Thanks, garry and orkneytime, that makes me a bit less anxious  :D
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »
Hello!

I'm a bit confused on the biometrics requirement for FLR(M)... I had my biometrics done in the US when applying for my fiancee visa in September '08.  Does the UKBA have this information from the British Consulate that issued my visa?  Or do I need to go through the whole thing again in the UK?

Thanks for any information!

-Stacey

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
It's my understanding that you'll have to go through the whole thing again...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »
It's my understanding that you'll have to go through the whole thing again...

Confirmed

• My blog!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »
And the reason given by UKBA is that it is to verify you are the same person who gave biometrics in prior to entering the country.  What good is biometrics if they never check it?
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »
Ok I hope I'm not being thick but are they not giving out the ID cards with the SET(M) application?

• My blog!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »
Ok I hope I'm not being thick but are they not giving out the ID cards with the SET(M) application?

Not yet...  Right now, same day SET(M) applications if approved will have the vignette inserted in the passport the same day.

Basically you don't have to worry about if it is active or not for your category, because they will either send you a postal mail telling you to where and how to book your bio appointment, or they will do the bio appointment when you apply once it becomes active.  Right now, I suspect they are trying to figure out how to scale the in country bio enrollment, because a handful of PEOs simply can't handle it.
Transpondia
My Blog

Sponsored Links