Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Biometrics and ID Cards for FLR(M) and FLR(S)  (Read 47416 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Biometrics and ID Cards for FLR(M) and FLR(S)
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 11:34:26 AM »
This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time....

http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39391135,00.htm

;D

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »
I'm unsure whether to laugh, cry, or make a Home Simpson d'oh! noise.  Perhaps all three.

(The gist of the article, for those on slow connections, is that no one - police, border control, JobCentres - has readers for reading all these swanky new ID cards.  So the info embedded in the ID cards can't actually be accessed.)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »
So I'm putting in a postal application for FLR(M) next week (I trust Her Maj can make ends meet without my £200). If I've got this right, I mail it in, and they send me back a letter telling me to get a biometric appointment within 15 days. I go in to Croydon with the letter and do the biometric thing.

For a process that's supposed to be nailing down my identity with absolute certainty, isn't that kind of...iffy? I won't have my passport, they will. When I show up, I won't have any proof of identity but their letter.

I suppose I can't see any criminal advantage to taking the biometrics appointment for somebody else, it just struck me as odd. If I were a piece of evidence in a criminal trial, I think that would break the chain of custody.

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
and they send me back a letter telling me to get a biometric appointment within 15 days. I go in to Croydon with the letter and do the biometric thing.

Not quite.  They DO send a letter.  But you have to call for a biometric appointment.  I just had to make one myself and the earliest appointment they could offer me was 5 weeks AFTER their reciept of my mailed app.  I did mention to them that I was supposed to have the biometrics within 15 days but they said they are quite busy and there was no way they could get me in that soon. 
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

• My blog!
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
Yes, as Lisa says, you have to book an appointment through the IEB.

They will have your information on file and they will be comparing what you submit that day to what you submitted when you got your entry clearance.  Note that all people being issued cards are people who got their initial visa via the bio process.  It does make sense.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Home for good!
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »
For a process that's supposed to be nailing down my identity with absolute certainty, isn't that kind of...iffy? I won't have my passport, they will. When I show up, I won't have any proof of identity but their letter.

I suppose I can't see any criminal advantage to taking the biometrics appointment for somebody else, it just struck me as odd. If I were a piece of evidence in a criminal trial, I think that would break the chain of custody.

When you call for your appointment, you will be given a BRN number.  You must have that AND the letter when you go in person.  That will identify you.
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR

• Liked: 2
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
Note that all people being issued cards are people who got their initial visa via the bio process.  It does make sense.

Ohhhh...if that's the case, it does make sense.

It's still a pain in the tail, though. How much latitude do I get about the appointment? It would be damn difficult for me to get to Lunar House before late afternoon.

• Home for good!
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
When I called to make my appointment, I simply told the man that I had to travel via public transportation and therefore needed it to be after noon sometime.  He helpfully obliged.
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »
Yes, as Lisa says, you have to book an appointment through the IEB.

I think I've got the steps right:
1 send off application for for extension of stay FLR (m) 11-2008 form
2. Call for an appointment for biometrics to be done and identification card
3. Go to appoint, hope its within the 15 days
4. Wait for pass port to be sent back
5. Wait for indent card to be sent back.

Then kitsonk said to book an appoint through IEB, what is IEB?

thanks,
S-Yank

• Home for good!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
After sending in your app, you will receive a letter (within about 15 days) instructing you to call for an appointment.  By that time, they will have your info in the system.  You will have to give them a Case Reference number which will be on the letter you get.  After making the appointment with them, they will then give you a Booking Reference Number (BRN) that you will need to write on the letter.  You will then take the letter with you to the appointment. 

Please note:  you can not make the appointment until you receive this letter.  Also, please understand that the appointment will more than likely NOT be with the 15 days they tell you you need to have it done it. 
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR

• My blog!
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
Then kitsonk said to book an appoint through IEB, what is IEB?

Again, as Lisa says!  ;D  The IEB = Immigration Enquiry Bureau, which is the call centre in Croydon which handles the bookings and enquiries for the PEOs (Public Enquiry Offices) which the actual biometrics and visa processing takes place.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
Thanks Lisa!  And I found the meaning of the IEB, immigration enquiry bureau. :)

S-Yank

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »
Thanks kitsonk!  :)

S-Yank

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »
This ZDnet article is saying the Home Office are petitioning parliament to further roll out the ID cards:

"Until now, only students and foreign nationals applying to stay in the UK on the basis of marriage have been obliged to have the biometric cards. Now, those required to give their fingerprints to the police will include visitors representing overseas companies in the UK; those visiting for private medical treatment; domestic workers in private households; people with a Commonwealth passport; and people aged over 60 who are able to support themselves, plus their partners and children. At the moment, these groups need only to get a stamp or vignette in their passport."

Anyone else know about this?
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• My blog!
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
Yup, as of 31 March more categories will apply: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/idcardsnewcategories

Again, it is only for those who are applying for an FLR within the UK who fall into those categories.  They are still on track to pilot it for airport workers as well and some other group of security sensative people.
Transpondia
My Blog

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab