Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Biometrics and ID Cards for FLR(M) and FLR(S)  (Read 47420 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Biometrics and ID Cards for FLR(M) and FLR(S)
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »
I'm confused. In another thread this summer*, WebyJ said this to me:

"Acutally just to clairify. You're only allowed to work once you've gotten married AND have gotten your FLR(M) and have your biometric ID card in hand."

So I'm here in the UK (as of yesterday).  I'm married.  I have a spousal visa in my passport (issued 10th Feb) that says "no recourse to public funds" and it's good for 2 years and a bit.  (My visitor's visa said "no work or recourse to public funds".)  When I email the powers that be, I get a FAQ document from UKBApublicenquiries@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk that seems to say that I'm allowed to work as of now.

So do I trust my interpretation of their email? Was WebyJ's reply only applicable if I came in on a Fiancee visa first?  (That was my original plan, but it didn't end up happening that way.)

And if I do need a biometric ID card before I can work, how in the world do I get it? I can't find a place to apply, unless I'm applying for FLR(M), which I don't seem to need for another 2 years. 

Thanks for any clarification you guys can offer.  My guy and I have been chasing this topic in circles and it's driving us both nuts.

Liz

* the thread: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=55814.msg794886#msg794886 [nofollow]

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
Easy way to answer this question is with a question.

What visa do you currently hold? I'm assuming you have a spousal visa issued outside the UK...there is no requirement for a Biometric ID card as those are only for FLR(M) and other applicants who apply for their visas IN the UK.

As your visa was issued outside the UK you do not need an ID card and your permission to work comes with your visa.

FLR(M)'s are for persons who are switching from another visa to a spouse IN the UK (like from a fiance(e) visa). Your next step will be Probationary Citizenship (what is replacing ILR in July 2011) not FLR(M) -- unless you are unable to pass the Life In the UK test then you can apply for FLR(M) to extend until you are able to pass the test.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:25:25 PM by WebyJ »

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
I do indeed have a spousal visa issued outside the UK.  Yay, I can work!

And thanks for the note on Probationary Citizenship. I'll do my homework on that topic before the time comes.

Many thanks,

Liz

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
I've scanned this thread, the forum, and I can't find an answer to two questions regarding the biometric identity card (for foreign nationals).

1) Other than showing the BIC at the border to confirm your FLR status, what else do you use this thing for? Is it essentially a form of ID? I use it currently when they ask for ID when I use a credit card. Is it a universally recognized form of ID in the UK?

2) I read (and heard) that identity cards (on the negative side) can be a possible issue for identity theft- are they talking about foreign national cards like the one I have? Does this mean you shouldn't be handing over the biometric card for people to photocopy (at places like banks, etc). What type of discretion should one use when handing it over?

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere, but would be good to know what we should be safe to show and use the card with.

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »
I dont understand the process, do you mail in application then wait for a letter advsing you to book the appt. then call bio. to make appt??

what if the visa is expiring soon after your getting married, if as long as application is mailed in do we need to have biometrics done before the expiry too.

can someone explain the application process, what do I need to do?

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »
I dont understand the process, do you mail in application then wait for a letter advsing you to book the appt. then call bio. to make appt??

what if the visa is expiring soon after your getting married, if as long as application is mailed in do we need to have biometrics done before the expiry too.

can someone explain the application process, what do I need to do?

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=67090.msg941003#msg941003

• Liked: 7
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »
I've scanned this thread, the forum, and I can't find an answer to two questions regarding the biometric identity card (for foreign nationals).

1) Other than showing the BIC at the border to confirm your FLR status, what else do you use this thing for? Is it essentially a form of ID? I use it currently when they ask for ID when I use a credit card. Is it a universally recognized form of ID in the UK?

2) I read (and heard) that identity cards (on the negative side) can be a possible issue for identity theft- are they talking about foreign national cards like the one I have? Does this mean you shouldn't be handing over the biometric card for people to photocopy (at places like banks, etc). What type of discretion should one use when handing it over?

Sorry if this question has been asked somewhere, but would be good to know what we should be safe to show and use the card with.

1)  Pretty much the only use for it is at the border and proving your right to work to new employers.  You can try using it as a form of ID, but 99% of people will have never seen one and will probably get confused.  Remember that ID cards for UK citizens have been scrapped by the new government. 

Frankly, given it is the only proof you have that you are legally allowed to live and work here and it's a major pain if you lose it, I'd keep it somewhere safe at home.  A provisional driving license will work fine for ID and matters a lot less if you lose it

2)  Basically as much caution as you would with your passport - there's a lot of personal information on there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:03:34 AM by MalcolmB »

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2011, 10:27:54 AM »
Hello!!

I have a question. I am here in the UK on a CP visa. I am getting married on May 7th 2011. My appointment for my FLR(M) remain to stay is May 9th in Sheffield. We are paying the extra fee to obtain my resident card so I can work right away. I am hearing to many conflicting stories on how it works. If I am approved for the FLR(M) (which it is a straight forward application) can i work right away? I heard I have to wait for my resident card to arrive in the mail is this correct? I also heard that i am legal to work in the UK as soon as i walk out of the office in Sheffield...how true is this and what proof will i have to give my employer...the problem is...i am going for my second interview for a large company here and would like to know when I can give them a legal start date that i can start work. I am very confused on this and frustrated to say the least. TO many different stories. All i need to know is how long does it take after I am approved to get my 2 year FLR (M) resident card and when can i start work. I appreciate any feedback on this topic.

thank you!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2011, 10:08:37 AM »
You can legally work once you have FLR(M) - however, the ID card is your PROOF that you can work, and you'll have to wait for it for a couple of weeks after the appointment.  An employer could take you on before it comes but you would have to convince them to trust you that you can legally work.   You should get a letter from the HO at the appointment so this may be enough. 

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
I am applying for an FLR(M) from inside the UK and the application form asks for details of when and where my previous biometric data was taken. I know it was in Oct 2008 in Chicago, IL but don't have the specific address or date. Does anyone know if this will matter to my application or how I find out this info?

Thanks

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »
Just as a head's up...

They sent stakeholders a letter today explaining that after next month certain post offices will have the gear for collecting biometrics.  This means you may not have to trek to a PEO any more.

They said in the same letter that they are going to create a premium service for T2 and T5 sponsors.  This will presumably help some people get their work permits faster.

There are other changes in the pipeline for people who use 3rd party representatives to 'walk' their application through the PEO on the same day service.

And I put some other changes down in the advocacy area...

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
Just as a head's up...

They sent stakeholders a letter today explaining that after next month certain post offices will have the gear for collecting biometrics.  This means you may not have to trek to a PEO any more.

They said in the same letter that they are going to create a premium service for T2 and T5 sponsors.  This will presumably help some people get their work permits faster.
just wanting to ask how long roughly do we wait after biometric has been done, it gets to me more waiting for my husband being able to provide and work,than waiting for flr(m).... i dont know how other people feel,but its a killer waiting..... ::)   what ive read there is not much help advice or any place OTHER THAN ON THIS SITE, we can get advice or even just a glimmer of hope and feed back..... i would have gone cr
There are other changes in the pipeline for people who use 3rd party representatives to 'walk' their application through the PEO on the same day service.

And I put some other changes down in the advocacy area...

Sponsored Links