Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: (split topic) How Long Can US Citizen Stay in UK?  (Read 31303 times)

• Liked: 1
(split topic) How Long Can US Citizen Stay in UK?
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »
If my wife who is a US born citizen enters the UK how long is she allowed to stay?

I was trying to search and it only goes to 2004 I think.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »
If she is only coming as a visitor she will be granted a six month visa.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
Does that mean she has to get a visa? Sounds like it.
How long can she stay without a visa?

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »
Everyone needs a visa.  But some nationals need to apply in advance, whilst others get them at the airport when they arrive.  US nationals can just get on the plane, and when they come in through immigration the Immigration Officer will just stamp their visa then, and it will be valid for six months.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »
I've just entered on my passport. Have things changed?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
Jim, if she's a US citizen and coming to visit only, she only needs to enter on her US passport, the stamp that she gets is the visa. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Re: (split topic) How Long Can US Citizen Stay in UK?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »
I have a question.  What if you go to the UK to stay for 2 or 3 weeks, but then decide to extend the trip and stay longer like another month or two?  Is there anyone you're supposed to notify or anything you need to do?  Or is it ok as long as you don't stay longer than 6 months?

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »
That's fine.  Just keep an eye out if they recorded something on your landing card..

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »
Wow really?  So theoretically speaking if I wanted to come to England to stay with my boyfriend as a visitor for a few months but wanted to avoid getting grilled by Immigrations, then my best bet would be to book a trip for 2 weeks and then change my return flight to a later date after I got to England?  Just wondering if that is the case, or if I'm totally off.  Surely couldn't have been the first gal to think of this. :) 

Thanks in advance for your answers and sorry if this is a dumb question.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »
Wow really?  So theoretically speaking if I wanted to come to England to stay with my boyfriend as a visitor for a few months but wanted to avoid getting grilled by Immigrations, then my best bet would be to book a trip for 2 weeks and then change my return flight to a later date after I got to England?  Just wondering if that is the case, or if I'm totally off.  Surely couldn't have been the first gal to think of this. :) 

Thanks in advance for your answers and sorry if this is a dumb question.

The problem with this strategy is that if the Immigration Officer has even the slightest inkling that you might be planning to do this, you will likely be refused entry. To be honest, I would think it would be safer to plan for a longer trip but provide plenty of evidence to show that you will be returning after that amount of time.

There is nothing wrong with extending your trip as a spur-of-the-moment decision - i.e. you only intended to visit a country as a tourist for 2 weeks, but once you arrived, you decided you needed more time to see the sights, so you changed your flight to a few days later - but if you really intend to stay longer from the start and the IO realises this when you land in the UK, then it can be considered deception and you could face serious consequences because you lied to UK immigration.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 06:46:14 PM »
Other that the fact that lying to an IO is never a smart idea, you also have to think about the monetary cost you may incur with this plan.  Depending on which airline you are flying, you will have to pay a fee to change your ticket and perhaps an increase in the actual ticket price. 
If your visit to the UK is innocent, which it would be if you are intending to stay in the UK for 2 months or so, then you are doing nothing wrong - don't start doing "bad" (lying to an IO) things to cover up ill intentions that dont even exist.

• My blog!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
Not to put words in Garry's mouth, but he would never suggest or even hint at being deceitful with an immigration officer, nor was that his suggestion.

There are real world situations where visitors may want to extend their stay then the time they originally quoted the immigration officer at the port of entry...  This forum is littered with people who have been caught out telling "white lies" to the immigration officer, and it is these sort of abuses which are leading to the UK government considering introducing exit immigration checks.  It is likely to be introduced in the next round of legislation.  And you are not the first gal to think of this, and again this is part of the reason why "US gals" have a bit of reputation with UKBA and are often hassled upon entry because there are a lot of them that abuse the system.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »
  And you are not the first gal to think of this, and again this is part of the reason why "US gals" have a bit of reputation with UKBA and are often hassled upon entry because there are a lot of them that abuse the system.

Very good point.  Lets not make it harder for American women by stirring up trouble and/or being less than truthful.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 10:35:15 PM »
I apologize if my post offended, was really just looking for clarification on what the rules are.  I've just read so many horror stories about girls coming to stay for a few months and being turned away by Immigration and am frightened that will happen to me when all I want to do is come stay with my boyfriend for a time so we can decide if we want to take this further, which if we do, I would return to the US and apply for a Fiance Visa, etc.  But to Immigrations this is seen as a bad thing.

It's just very frustrating.  So when I saw the potential loophole that you could come for a shorter visit initially and then change the flight to stay longer since the stamp in the passport is good for 6 months, I saw this as maybe a potential option to avoid the hassles.  Which is why I asked the question.  I know I should be upfront and book the travel for as long as I intend to stay and tell Immigrations so, I'm just really worried about being interrogated and sent back.  I just figured I'd have less chance of this happening if I booked my trip for 2 weeks and then changed it for longer after I got there, since I'd have less of a chance of being questioned by Immigrations.

At the end of the day all I really want is to stay with my boyfriends for a few months as a visitor so we can experience living together and then decide if we should take the next step.  I would never overstay past 6 months and if we do decide to get married I would come back to the US and apply for a Fiance Visa properly.  I would have enough savings to support myself while I'm here and wouldn't work illegally or do anything wrong.  It just feels like to Immigrations this is a crime and I just don't what to do.

Anyway, am sorry if my posting offended anyone, just am frustrated.  Garry, by no means am I trying to put words in your mouth, so apologize if it came across that way.

Sponsored Links