Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: (split topic) How Long Can US Citizen Stay in UK?  (Read 31304 times)

Re: (split topic) How Long Can US Citizen Stay in UK?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 10:38:49 PM »
People who read closely will pick up on Jennefer's asking a simple question and then transposing it into a way to lie.   This type of mentality is what gets the bad spin on American women that they are quite happy to lie without compunction.  

There is nothing to prevent this sort of lying to an IO; and a six month visa is a six month visa.  And her actions will not stiffle the perception anyway.  

If they trip you up in the landing interview, or if they dove-tail your presence in the UK with your landing card, the only remedy is a marriage license or a boyfriend stateside.  Lots of UKY people will attest privately that neither is a particularly happy outcome.

Anyway.  Yes, Jennefer, you can do that.

And yes, Kitson, your words in my mouth were spot on.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 12:19:55 AM »
Just a note on a (several) recent visa refusal statement I have seen...

"you have applied to enter the UK as a visitor for a period of three weeks.  In June 2007 you entered the UK as a visitor, so see Mr John Smith, your boyfriend.  You informed immigration on entry that you were coming to the UK for three weeks, and you were admitted for entry.  Records show that you subsequently remained for four months.  Because you previously stayed for longer than your intended visit, on this occasion we do not believe that you only intend to remain for the three weeks as stated.  I therefore refuse you...etc...etc..."

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 02:54:34 AM »
Goodness......they really DO keep tabs sort of on how long you stay.  Does and overstay ever affect fiance/spousal visas?

And goodness, now I feel guilty for saying my fiance was only my boyfriend when I went over.  *slumps into corner*  I don't want to give American women a bad wrap!

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 06:28:41 AM »
Jenniferrr,

Always a better idea to simply tell the truth. It won't do you any good to "find the loophole" now as it may come back to bite you in the a$$ later. Plus, like a few have said, it really adds to the bad rep of girls from the US.

If you're thinking of staying for longer than a couple weeks, and don't want to risk being bounced...then CYA and apply ahead of time for a visitor's visa. The benefit of this is that you can say specifically your reason for visiting (to see your boyfriend) and to see if the two of you want to consider a fiance visa down the line. They can't really fault you for being honest in that case.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »
I once had a poor girl who was an innocent bystander caught on CCTV during a robbery and the police needed her statement.  There was another who needed emergency medical treatment.  Crazy things happen like that.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 07:50:48 AM »

If you're thinking of staying for longer than a couple weeks, and don't want to risk being bounced...then CYA and apply ahead of time for a visitor's visa. The benefit of this is that you can say specifically your reason for visiting (to see your boyfriend) and to see if the two of you want to consider a fiance visa down the line. They can't really fault you for being honest in that case.

That was going to be my next question, could you apply for a visitor's visa ahead of time, and if that was a better option for those planning on a longer than a week or two visit.  I had seen that there was a link to apply for a visitor's visa but I didn't know if it was strictly just for those in countries who needed to get it approved before getting on a plane. I plan on traveling for a little over a month in the UK and Ireland. My boyfriend is from the UK, but we are both living in Korea...when we go to the UK we both won't be tied to any job because we plan on spending the next year traveling to different places, the UK just being one of the places. While we are in the UK we will be staying at his parents' house when we can and in hotels in the places we want to see that aren't nearby. Since I won't be going back to the states, will a flight to another country,hotel reservation confirmations and the amount of money I have with me (including bank statement) be enough? I will have enough money to travel for at least 6 months to a year and do not intend to stay in the UK...we are coming back to Korea by the end of next year. I was really excited to see the UK and Ireland but now I am worried from all the posts I've been reading lol. I didn't realize there was so much stress in it...I just thought hey ok, have enough money in the bank and a flight ticket out and I'm good to go..and for the most part that has worked for me in other countries but I guess it's a whole other basket of fries when you are with someone from said country? My boyfriend is going to write his embassy about if I need a multiple entry visa (dunno) so I guess I should just ask him to ask them what I'll need and if I can just go ahead and apply for it.  [smiley=anxious.gif]

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
That was going to be my next question, could you apply for a visitor's visa ahead of time, and if that was a better option for those planning on a longer than a week or two visit.  I had seen that there was a link to apply for a visitor's visa but I didn't know if it was strictly just for those in countries who needed to get it approved before getting on a plane. I plan on traveling for a little over a month in the UK and Ireland.

Although visitor's visas are usually for people who must apply for a visa before travelling, anyone from a non-visa country who has ever been refused a UK visa before or has been bounced (refused entry) from the UK at the airport must apply for a visitor visa before travelling, otherwise they risk being refused entry when they land in the UK.

My boyfriend is from the UK, but we are both living in Korea...when we go to the UK we both won't be tied to any job because we plan on spending the next year traveling to different places, the UK just being one of the places. While we are in the UK we will be staying at his parents' house when we can and in hotels in the places we want to see that aren't nearby. Since I won't be going back to the states, will a flight to another country,hotel reservation confirmations and the amount of money I have with me (including bank statement) be enough? I will have enough money to travel for at least 6 months to a year and do not intend to stay in the UK...we are coming back to Korea by the end of next year. I was really excited to see the UK and Ireland but now I am worried from all the posts I've been reading lol. I didn't realize there was so much stress in it...I just thought hey ok, have enough money in the bank and a flight ticket out and I'm good to go..and for the most part that has worked for me in other countries but I guess it's a whole other basket of fries when you are with someone from said country? My boyfriend is going to write his embassy about if I need a multiple entry visa (dunno) so I guess I should just ask him to ask them what I'll need and if I can just go ahead and apply for it.  [smiley=anxious.gif]

If you have plenty of money, proof of accommodation while you're in the UK and evidence that you will be leaving the country after a certain period of time (i.e. a return/onward plane ticket) and are not planning to stay in the UK, then hopefully you'll be okay.

The main things you need to prove are that you have enough money to support yourself while you are in the UK and that you have ties to another country/a reason to leave at the end of your UK visit. An onward ticket to your next destination will be essential and it's worth having a travel itinerary/proof of other travel plans with you to show that you will be travelling after being in the UK.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »
If you plan on staying in the UK beyond 6 months you will need to get a visitor visa before you travel. The most they will stamp you at the border is 6 months. If you're staying less than 6 months, don't worry about it, just bring all your documents like ksand24 says.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »
I see this thread has activated after a year's sleep. 

What I can add is that there has been no change at all in the perceptions of immigration officers at ports of entry about American women (i.e., they lie without compunction).

At the same time, consular staff always tell me that their apps are of the highest quality. 

Based upon that, if you accept my totally informal findings, ECO's are more favourably disposed than IO's.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »
whew, thanks for the replies it makes me feel a little less anxious...i guess i just get worried over everything lol...I always think the worst might happen, even if they prolly won't hehe  [smiley=smug2.gif]

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
I recently went to UK, immigration officer stamped my US passport at the airport which was good for 6 months. Smooth process.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
For anybody that wants to know the answer to this question the answer is it is absolutely fine to stay in the uk for the maximum amount of time. Truth be know, do expect ALOT of questioning, but the absolute most important issue in this is to be totally honest for how long your staying, where your staying, who with and what your intentions are while being there. On my girlfriends first visit to the U.K we made the stupid mistake of flying into the U.K without my fiance having a return ticket NEVER COME WITHOUT A RETURN TICKET, EVER. We sustained substantial questioning and harassment about when she was leaving. At the time we were naive and didnt have a clue about imagration so i argued with the I.O that she was staying for a couple of months but didnt quite know when she'd be going home but it would for sure be before the 6 months was up. She was very skeptical. After around 30 minutes of questioning we did manage to persuade the I.O that she was staying with me and that she had obligations back at home so she would def be returning within a few months. I have NO idea how we managed to pull it off now i look back, but she let my fiance through in the end and stated  "The next time you visit your going to need to be ALOT more prepared than you are now, but because i believe this is a case of naievity i am happy to let you through this time but you MUST leave before the 6 months" We were shocked at how serious they took us, but at the time (2 years ago) we were very un-educated about imagration rules.

The second time my fiance came over was for 6 months. And i was worried sick that she would be refused because of the amount of time she was going to be staying. We actually re-hearsed with each other about questions we knew we would be asked and we knew our answers would have to be the same in order to avoid perception ( not that we intended perception in the first place!) We made sure she had plenty of suppourting documents, this included Bank statements showing my fiance had £3,000, wedding invites, information about where she would be staying (with me) a letter from my parents suppourting her visit, Letter from me suppourting her visit, return ticket for the exact date she would be returning (in this case it was just before the 6 months was up). Not only that but we actually interviewed each other so we knew what to expect. I was worried sick she would be refused entry. When she arrived at immagration, she was questioned. She was asked how long she was staying, why, where and all the rest of it. My fiance was totally honest with them, showed them all of her documents proving all the questions aksed. The i.O DID CALL ME when she arrived, he asked me about 6 -7 questions regarding my fiance's visit, i answerd them all with confidence (because we had re-hearsed them so much) This took about 10 mins on the phone and he told me "Ok thank you for your co-operation sir that's excellent, your fiance will be through imagration shortly"
He let her through with no further questioning or hassle, but he did tell her to watch the amount of time she stayed for on her next visit.
The moral of the story is, be truthfull, back yourself up with suppourting evidence, show ties back home and DO NOT come across as your lying. If you do these things, you will be more than fine. Thats our expirience with it all. Obide by the rules, Never lie or decieve and you should be granted entry without major problems. Oh and i know alot of people say I.O's are scary but this guy was actually a nice person so dont be put off, there not all the same !
Hope this helped somewhat!

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 03:11:56 AM »
I know this is an old post but I totally agree. Dont lie. WHy should you? want to stay for 2-3 months? have an itinerary? never overstayed before? have sufficient funds to prove, a return address,contacts both in the US and in the UK in case Border Agency detains an decides to call around to check on you then fine! Let them do it, and book your trip for 2-3 months. If everything adds up and you are on the up and up with them, the most they can do is stamp your passport for 6 months and put a number in your passport to "keep an eye on this one-tends to take long visits here"--and that is IT.  right now, there is an elevated terrorist alert. Which goes for and against ppl visiting the UK. FOR us meaning people are scared to fly and its hurting commerce so they are encouraging ppl to travel and may be more lenient on neighboring countries like the US for the business....AGAINST in the fact that ANYTHING suspicious during this time will be flagged imediately. So dont lie. Just be honest and if they give you a hard time just say "Well it DOES say I can be here for 6 months visa free-why cant I stay for 2 and go home? I have proof, andhere...call my references!"

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 09:18:13 AM »

It's the sort of thing where personal experiences from people on the internet can't really help.  Some go in and out for years and others get bounced on their 1st trip. 

Statistically about 1 in 2,400 Americans gets bounced, and beyond the stigma that American women carry about lying there is no profile of the typical person who gets  bounced.  Businessmen in business suits get bounced equally along with women trying to start a new life in the UK, it's all according.  Sure, a lot of times the person is being naive, but most of the time what the person is doing doesn't make sense.

They worrry about overstaying, but more to the point they know that when finances become short the person is more likely to turn to prostitution and this invites a host of other issues like health and safety and public funds and etc etc.  There was a research report published last week on this topic and it's a real eye-opener! 

Additionally, it is still not seen as entirely normal to spend a long time with somebody you only know via cyber channels. 

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
Based upon that, if you accept my totally informal findings, ECO's are more favourably disposed than IO's.

This matches my experience :D The IO seemed pretty pissed off that I thought I could just waltz into the country for 5 months and I got pulled aside for special questioning which took four hours but everyone was really nice to me. I've heard horror stories from other people (who hasn't?) but other than the time it took to verify my funding and make sure I'd be able to leave the country if things didn't work out with my BF, everyone was lovely. The guy guarding the lounge and I share a birthday.

Additionally, it is still not seen as entirely normal to spend a long time with somebody you only know via cyber channels. 

I said I knew it sounded crazy, traveling to a different country to visit someone you met online and the guy handling my case kept saying, "no, no, no, lots of people meet online, it's not unusual at all!"  I'm aware that the plural of anecdote is not data, but I thought it was funny that I thought it was crazy and he didn't.

Sponsored Links