Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Security questions when leaving the UK?  (Read 1777 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: Security questions when leaving the UK?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »
Well, other than the standard questions about who packed my bags, etc., the first time I came to London with a friend, and we said we were tourists, the immigration lady was pretty rude about asking exactly what our plans were, which places we would see, etc., and seemed pretty unsatisfied with the usual London Tower, Westminster, etc., asking "and what else?" and was very curt, which was unexpected for me, since I had never travelled outside the US before (I certainly didn't mention I was there to meet someone in person that I had been talking to online!) I guess I just thought if you said you were a tourist, then that would be that!
The other times, they were much nicer, though when I said I was here to take a connecting flight to Newcastle to see my fiance and meet his family, I got a bit of a lecture on how I would need a visa in order to live here, etc., but I explained that I was only here for a week and planned to observe all the rules.  And then she asked where my fiance was at the moment, and I said "probably right outside that door, am I free to go??" and she just smiled and let me through!   ;D

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 06:40:19 PM »
Cripes.  I have just been reading in the Immigration Weekly that the US has been injecting deportees with a powerful anti-psychotic sedative before bouncing them.  According to this report, the ACLU sued the US government and the government now needs to get a court order prior to administering sedatives to somebody.

Did anybody know about this?  For sure we don't want this happening here!

• Liked: 30
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 06:50:59 PM »
Cripes.  I have just been reading in the Immigration Weekly that the US has been injecting deportees with a powerful anti-psychotic sedative before bouncing them.  According to this report, the ACLU sued the US government and the government now needs to get a court order prior to administering sedatives to somebody.

Hadn't heard that, but the New York Times has a story about allegedly illegal immigrants "disappearing" from a Rhode Island town, then being moved without notice from prison to prison around the country:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/us/27detain.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=immigration%20rhode%20island&st=cse

• Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »
Not unless the banker processing the deposit files suspicious activity report. Which we did every single time, but not much came of it.

BTW, you can carry more than $10k as long as it's in the form of checks out of the country.  But if it involves carrying cash, forget it.

Actually, it's now anything 5k and over and you're required to report payment structuring such as the one you're referring, meaning amounts that just skate under the reporting number.

Most banks have algorithms in place now to detect and report those too.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:27 PM »

I remember reading about something of the sort as well, actually. Maybe about 8 months ago I read a story in a news magazine about it. Possibly in newsweek.

ETA: Good news! ICE now doesn't use them as often as they used to.  ::)

http://writingathena.newsvine.com/_news/2008/12/29/2254583-immigration-we-dont-use-anti-psychotic-drugs-on-detainees-as-often-as-we-used-to
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:35:25 PM by Mort »
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab