Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Original Documents Returned?  (Read 1210 times)

• Liked: 0
Original Documents Returned?
« on: December 16, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've sent the application for my Tier 2 Entry Clearance, and part of proving the qualifications for education/qualifications was to include the original certificate of award (diploma)-will they send this back?  I mean, it's not the end of the world if they don't, but I would like it.

Also--in regards to the bank statements and the like..do those get returned as well?  I get antsy having any sort of bank account information out there, even if it is for my visa!

I've read mixed things about people getting all of their originals back, and then sometimes they were missing, so I was just curious what should be happening.

Thanks!

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Original Documents Returned?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
They are SUPPOSED to return all your documents.  There have been cases where they don't return things like bank statements.  UKY has already approach UKBA about this issue officially and is awaiting for UKBA's formal response on this issue.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• my baby loves sand
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
When I applied for my visit for marriage visa they didn't return my proof of being employed paperwork and all the bankstatements. I even asked them to return everything I sent, but I guess they don't read everything you write on your letter of intent. Doesn't matter, I sent mostly copies anyways or new print outs for the work items.  Make sure you make COPIES of everything! Just in case you need them for reference or they don't send items back to you.
approved ILR 19th of April 2011
Baby Huw Kenneth Ray born June 19 2010

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:11:16 AM »
For my fiance visa, they DID return all bank statements. I also sent only a copy of my degree certificate, and that was NOT returned.

I think it's hit and miss...but they ARE supposed to return everything. After all, they DO have photocopiers.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:44:56 AM »
They returned SOME of my Tier-1 application docs inc. 7 of my 8 bank statements, letter from my financial institution regarding my maintenance funds, original diploma BUT NOT the letters from my employers and the copies of my tax forms!

I'll ask them to return the missing docs on my Administrative Review Request Notice.  hope they will send them back to me.

Good luck with your application!

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »
Not trying to hijack this, but if you do not want to send your originals of some documents (i.e. marriage certificate), will they except notorized photocopies?

And on that note, I got a notorized copy of the information/picture page of my husband's passport so he can keep his original. Will they accept his as well or will it hold up the process?

• my baby loves sand
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »

And on that note, I got a notarized copy of the information/picture page of my husband's passport so he can keep his original. Will they accept his as well or will it hold up the process?

If you don't send an original pass port you can send copies only if you send in his original birth certificate i think. So its on original of the other, Id send a copy with the birth certificate at least then its not to big of a loss you never really need the certificate for everyday things. And i think if you got a notarized copy of his Passport you would have to get it dont in the UK though im not sure on that point.

Also don't take my word on this part id wait to see what others say, but I think it would be better to send the marriage certificate then a copy. And if it is a copy make sure to get it notarized.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:54:24 PM by mrslit »
approved ILR 19th of April 2011
Baby Huw Kenneth Ray born June 19 2010

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
Notorised or certified copies are fine.  Other than the applicants passport.

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 06:35:10 PM »
Phew! Thanks!! :)

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 06:40:57 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input!  I'm sure I can get another copy of my diploma from my school, so if that is the worst case, that's okay..although I don't know why they'd want to keep it anyway!

Now just to waiting for the approval for the EC!  I've been seeing timelines of about 10-12 business days for other Tier 2-ish people going through the NYC consulate, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 07:03:41 PM »
We went through the NY consulate and they were extremely fast and did return all our documents, including the originals, and even the extra passport photos we sent.  Everything was organized and in great condition.  No problems at all.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
If you don't mind my asking, what was the timeline and what were you applying for?

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 07:54:01 PM »
We're both US citizens; he got a job offer and work permit from the UK, and so he was applying for the visa to go along with the work permit, and I applied as his unmarried partner.  It was amazingly fast (although there was some trouble getting biometrics appointments -- the Newark NJ office has moved to Elizabeth, NJ, even though the appointments are still given as being in Newark). 

We sent the passports and supporting documents via overnight mail to arrive at the NY consulate on Dec. 10th, got email on Saturday the 13th saying they had arrived, got email yesterday saying the visas were issued, and got the passports back via overnight mail today!  So it was really fast.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 10:53:42 PM »
sb15

I think its just absurd if they decide to keep any of your documents.

I received every single document back today, including bank statements. Everything and a nice 5 year VISA approval stamp! :)

I'm sure you'd be fine.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
Hold on, peeps!

No sense getting your dander up just yet.  UKY (in concert with Transpondia) has laid a formal enquiry before VSD about the whole question of returned documents and recovery of missing documents.

They know about it, they know there's an issue about it, and they are going to get back to us in the near term.  When they do, we'll see if it's a workable policy and then use it to govern what you can expect to get back from your application bundle.  That includes what to do if you don't get something back also.

Patience is key.

Sponsored Links