Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Emergency need a place to stay  (Read 3561 times)

• Liked: 1
Emergency need a place to stay
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »
I have to get out of the place I came to a week ago when I was already escaping an abusive situation. This one has turned to abuse also.

I begged a nearby friend to take me in but they say they don't have the room -- all I need is a couch and I begged them but they gave me the number for emergency council housing for the homeless.

I rang them. They said I "Don't qualify" !!!!

I told them I AM homeless at this point. They said that because I had not officially lived in either of the boroughs I've been staying in, and had not lived in either for very long (five months in one, one week in this one, having come from the US to the first place) I do not qualify. They won't help me.

I am a British citizen but I'm discovering that because I have been gone from the country for so long, I qualify for no help AT ALL from any of my country's entities.

I have not very few friends here but even they cannot take me in although I have urged them to understand the desperation of my situation.

Please if anyone can take me, I will need to be collected as the person who moved me recently is now on his way back up the country to his parents home for Xmas and cannot help this time.

I have my cat that I brought on PETS Scheme from America, cannot be parted from him after all this.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Smiley Gifts World
Re: Emergency need a place to stay
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
Sorry I am in the northwest so can't help but please check out this site there is a phone number on the site- they should be able to help you.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/families_and_relationships/domestic_violence/leaving_domestic_violence/womens_refuges

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:14:39 AM »
We're very far away, too.

But hoping you find something soon.

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:34:02 PM »
Please please get to a pay phone and call free:
24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247
Shelter's free housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444

One of them can help you find a place to stay.

Also, for your cat, these people can help - The Freedom Project
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/wayswehelp/freedom_project/
I know it's Dogs Trust, but it says that in London they will also help take of cats.

I know you don't want to be parted from your darling, but this way someone can look after him/her in the event that a temporary shelter/home won't take animals - also all the moving around will likely be very, very hard on the animals and placing it in a foster home TEMPORARILY (just until you get on your feet again!) will allow you to focus on you and getting help.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:35:36 PM by Aless »
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »
Please please get to a pay phone and call free:
24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247

I would really, really suggest this is your best bet. They can help to find you a refuge.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »
Thank you so much for this Aless, expat, Anne R and HG.

I can't believe I'm being victimized twice. The guy here has taken the control freak ball and run with it. I'm being put down and restricted in even my movements. HIs wife is going along with it. This is all like a bad dream or a bad movie...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:46:43 PM by Midnight blue »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
I wish I were closer, I'd help.  Best of luck to you.  If you must do it, putting the cat in foster (and visiting regularly) isn't the end of the world.  I've fostered animals for several years, and a good, homelike environment can provide them with a lot of stability.  I used to volunteer at a shelter that did several DV fosters.  I am so sorry you and the cat are going through this and hope things get better for you soon.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
Thank you so much mariposa, the supportive words mean a lot to hear, I have felt so alone in all this.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
I may still be needing help; if anyone is in the home counties and can offer a place for me to temporarily stay until I get on my feet finding work and getting a deposit together, even just a couch to sleep on, I would be so grateful.

I'm trying to keep possession of my cat whom I brought over from the US on the PETS Scheme, and I also have my shipment of boxes; I can't afford to put them in storage but they take up a stacked space of 4' x 4' x 4'.

If anyone reading this can take me in, with one very sweet, shy kitty and a small pile of my worldly goods I am hanging onto (sum total of all I have left of my life as I knew it!) I will feel very blessed. I know it's a terrible time of year for this -- right before Christmas and everyone is busy/out of town...I'm trying to keep hoping I'm going to be okay and all this will be in the past one day.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:49:04 AM »
can you maybe get an emergency flight to fly back to US maybe ask your friends/family from US to help...and you can pay back later..I would just try to get the heck out of UK so you can be back home...somewhere familier..

• Home for good!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »
She's a British citizen
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:46:59 AM »
Yes that's correct, I'm a British national, I was a permanent resident alien in the US, I closed down my life there and unfortunately even if I were able to fly back to the US, I would be in an identical situation -- I gave up my rented apartment, my work, my car over there. All my belongings and cat would have to stay here, I'm broke, can't fly anything back with me. I would be sleeping on a friend's couch and having to rebuild all the same things as I'm having to rebuild here, hence the only sensible thing is to remain here where I am from anyway.

But my own family here will not be helping -- both my parents passed away during the time I was in the States, and we siblings are estranged (horrible fallings-out following the parents' deaths; we were one of those families....)

My nearest sister, who happens to have a three story house eight miles from here, with spare rooms, hasn't spoken in twenty years and indeed hung up the phone on me when I called her in desperation on Saturday morning.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:33:16 AM by Midnight blue »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
Have you been to the CAB and maybe spoken to a solicitor about your rights to access to any money which may be tied up with your former partner?

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 05:41:49 AM »
so what happened.
I mean, before the situation, and after.

How did you get into it, and out of it?
Did someone take you in?  Are you out already, safe, etc, gone?

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:09:34 PM »
funny you brought this back up...I wondering about this recently too.  I hope wherever she is..that she is ok.
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab