Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: electronics from US to UK  (Read 1352 times)

• Liked: 0
electronics from US to UK
« on: June 05, 2004, 09:55:59 PM »
Hello All, My name is Nancy 35y/o relocating to bristol area from Seattle.  my friend and I are both moving there and curious about some things?  If my friend were to bring his tools that are electric what are the chances they wont work with an adapter?  Also, was going to bring my two stereos but wondering if good idea?  one is good the other is cheap . 
told that lamps need adapter and new bulb only, true?
thanks to this wonderful site and the people on it.
ta for now
nancy---physical email: nbarraclough@hotmail.com

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: electronics from US to UK
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 10:00:28 PM »
Try this site:

http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/about.html

But if you're intending on staying here for some time, I'd think about selling what you have there and buying new here.

There are good stories and horror stories about transforming electrics so proceed with caution.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
Re: electronics from US to UK
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 03:22:07 AM »
..... told that lamps need adapter and new bulb only, true? .....
Lamps need a new bulb, and an adapter (if you are planning to stay for a long time it would be better, and safer, to remove the US plug and replace it with a British one), however you'll have to find British screw-thread bulbs.  They are available, but must British bulbs are "bayonet" fitting (press in and turn to click, rather like the top of say dishwasher liquid, or laundry softener), so you may want to consider replacing the bulb holder too.

The tools should work OK with a voltage converter, but unless your hifi is really top-notch, state of the art, I wouldn't bother bringing either of them with you.

Sponsored Links