Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What should I write on my fiance visa application?  (Read 3941 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: What should I write on my fiance visa application?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 12:13:32 PM »
You don't need a date for the wedding for a fiancee visa.

I think you may struggle with a visit visa if they already know your long term plan is to stay in the UK.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
They want you to prove you have means of support if you're coming in as a visitor? Is that a new requirement or am I misunderstanding due to flu delirium?

I'm not sure it's in there as part of the rules, but it does make sense...if you show you're entering the country to stay for, say, 3 months, it would be VERY likely you'd be asked to show that you have enough money with you to maintain yourself during that time...they're worried about people working illegally.  They'd be less likely to ask those questions if you had a return ticket for 2 weeks later, but still nothing to stop them assuring themselves that you don't plan to support yourself by working illegally.
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
Hm, yeah, I can see the logic in that. I came to the UK as a visitor for six months and didn't get asked for anything like that, but then again, that was 5 years ago. Although I vaguely recall the solicitor I spoke to saying that it wasn't required for American visitors, but don't quote me on that.
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 05:28:34 AM »
While it is not a hard rule, an ECO or IO would not consider you a visitor if you spend more then 6 months during any 12 month period as a visitor and would likely not grant you a visa or refuse you entry to the UK.  This concept is included in the guidance provided to the ECOs and IOs and can be used as a basis for refusal.

I hope it is okay for me to ask a question regarding this in another poster's thread...

I have traveled from the US to the UK 6 times over the past 5 years. I returned from 6 months on bunac in november, but am thinking about going back for a 1-2 week visit in march or april. because i had already been in the UK for 6 months, would that be too close in time for a visit that it might raise suspicion with an IO? i'm just wondering if i should look into an entry clearance visa for my next and subsequent visits to see my boyfriend.

• Banned

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »
I think you should read the other posts on this issue to get an idea.  A six month gap is not likely to cause massive problems, and I don't think you need worry about entry clearance, but be prepared.

Vicky

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
You don't need a date for the wedding for a fiancee visa.

I think you may struggle with a visit visa if they already know your long term plan is to stay in the UK.
But if I originally applied for a Visit for Marriage visa (accidentally), wouldn't they NOT have any reason to think that I wanted to stay in the UK long-term? And if I got a fiancee visa and for some reason didn't get married by the time it expired, that would be really bad for my prospects of getting a spousal visa once we are married, correct?

Oh, and since you say I don't need a date for the wedding, does the fiancee application even ask for notification of marriage? I just ask because if I do apply for the fiancee visa, and the only reasons for my being denied for the Visit for Marriage visa were notification of marriage and not putting a leaving date on my application, it means I probably will qualify for the fiancee visa after all, which is comforting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:23:10 PM by lanicita »

• Banned

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »
But you applied for the marriage visit visa in error, and was refused because they didn't believe your intent to return.  Why would they think anything different for a normal visit visa?

You don't need evidence of notification of marriage. 

If you'd like help with the application, please let me know, but I do think you qualify.

Vicky

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
Oh, and since you say I don't need a date for the wedding, does the fiancee application even ask for notification of marriage?

For the fiance(e) visa you don't need a date for the wedding or notification of marriage because say, for example, you're getting married at the Register Office...you can't start finalizing your plans without already having the visa in hand. Some places may allow you to make provisional arrangements and "reserve a date" but for the most part, they are now looking to verify you have the correct documents in this country first before proceeding with anything else.

On that same note, you should be able to prove in some way that you ARE planning to marry. When I applied in July, the only thing I was able to include as proof that we were engaged and planning to marry were a few MSN conversations, where I highlighted specific mentions of engagement and marriage plans. I'm not sure if they looked at these or not, but it was included in my supporting docs because I didn't have an engagement ring, nor were we allowed to book a date with our local registrar.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Home for good!
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »
When I applied for fiance visa and was called by the ECO for further info, one of the things she asked was if I had made preparations for my wedding.  It seemed to satisfy her that I had checked into the requirements of a registrar ceremony.  The fact that I could tell her what I needed to do showed her that I had indeed made investigations into it.
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
Thank you Vicky, that makes sense now. My boy is coming to visit in 5 days so we'll talk about it and apply then.

LoveMyBrit, I will (I think) have an engagement ring by the time I apply, but how would I use it as evidence? By taking a picture of it? I'm not sure if I've got any saved MSN conversations but I can look. Or else I'll do what Lisapower said and look into the ceremony requirements. Thank you again everyone for your help, I wish things were clearer so it wouldn't be such a burden on all of you to answer my questions.

• Banned

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 11:36:16 PM »
Just have something int he sponsor letter stating what the plans, if any, are, even if they are vague...

"we'd like to get married in our local church and will discuss this with a vicar when my fiancee gets to the UK".

"we have spoken to the registrar and know we can't book anything until my fiancee gets here, but ideally we will marry in May".

"we are still arguing about final details, as I want to marry in my mum's back garden and my fiancee wants to marry on the centre circle at Barnet Football Club.  We have agreed on a spring wedding, probably April, but nothing else yet"
(an almost direct quote from one of my clients in interview a few years ago.)

Anything to show you have discussed it.

Vicky

• My Blog
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 02:12:07 AM »
LoveMyBrit, I will (I think) have an engagement ring by the time I apply, but how would I use it as evidence? By taking a picture of it?

I've only ever heard of people making a copy of the receipt that was given from the purchase of the ring. But honestly, I don't think it's that big of an issue. Like Vicky said, they just need to know your general plans, thus showing you have in fact discussed it at all. A big red flag to them if they get an app from someone who has no plans and no idea whatsoever.

Thank you again everyone for your help, I wish things were clearer so it wouldn't be such a burden on all of you to answer my questions.

I don't think questions are a burden. I think people on here for the most part are only happy to be able to help. We've been there before and know how it is to have these questions and not know how it all works at the beginning. Plus, you never know how you may help someone in the future from your very own post asking the questions in the first place.

"we are still arguing about final details, as I want to marry in my mum's back garden and my fiancee wants to marry on the centre circle at Barnet Football Club.  We have agreed on a spring wedding, probably April, but nothing else yet"[/i] (an almost direct quote from one of my clients in interview a few years ago.)

Vicky, sounds like that couple was already married, hehe.  :P
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 70
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »

Vicky, sounds like that couple was already married, hehe.  :P

Hubby and I tease that this is how the British embassy knew we were really engaged.  We were arguing over misplaced documentation in the line when we went to get the fiancĂ©e visa in person several years ago.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab