Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 'Shortening' here in England?  (Read 71328 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: 'Shortening' here in England?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 10:43:48 PM »
I was under the impression that butter would make your cookies more brown when when baking. 

I'm not so sure about that but I find that if I use just butter in my cookies they tend to be too rich and become rather greasy and flat so I use 1/2 shortening (usually Trex) and 1/2 butter.  For my cakes it's always 100% butter though.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »
Fair point.  When I use butter, it's usually a combination of the two.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »
I'm not so sure about that but I find that if I use just butter in my cookies they tend to be too rich and become rather greasy and flat so I use 1/2 shortening (usually Trex) and 1/2 butter.  For my cakes it's always 100% butter though.

ditto this. I only do the half and half thing with my chocolate chip cookies though. that recipe calls for all butter or margarine. I find using all butter makes them too brown and crisp.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
ditto this. I only do the half and half thing with my chocolate chip cookies though. that recipe calls for all butter or margarine. I find using all butter makes them too brown and crisp.

The easy way to make them less brown and crisp is just take them out a few minutes earlier!! I don't care for crunchy cookies so I always do them a little underdone and chewy. 
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

Sponsored Links